Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:30:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFranklin Finds a Froom - sorta like the old Mario Bros. arcade
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Franklin Finds a Froom - sorta like the old Mario Bros. arcade  (Read 1111 times)
uy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2014, 03:50:21 PM »

Hello! So earlier this year I had this itch to play the old Mario Bros. arcade game, couldn't find it for my phone, and then just decided I was going to try to make it.

The game is called Franklin Finds a Froom, it's the first one I've made on my own, and I've released it on the Google play store to just get it in front of people.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jonuy.franklinfroom

It's very directly inspired by the old Mario Bros. arcade game. I used the project as a way to learn Unity and as a sort of homage to a friend.

Feedback would be super appreciated on:
  • Does it make sense what you're suppose to do? Especially for people who aren't familiar with the game that inspired this, my hope is that you'll just stumble onto how it's suppose to be played. But I don't know if that's a safe assumption to make.
  • Level Progression - I tried to ramp the player up in difficulty and introduce new elements in a way that hopefully makes sense.
  • Controls - I've watched a couple friends play older versions and they had trouble jumping up onto the next platform up.
  • I've really only tested on a Galaxy S3 because... that's what I have. Does it work fine on your phone? or even tablet?
  • and honestly anything else at all that you've got

Thank you thank you thank you in advance!
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:54 AM »

Does it make sense what you're suppose to do? Especially for people who aren't familiar with the game that inspired this, my hope is that you'll just stumble onto how it's suppose to be played. But I don't know if that's a safe assumption to make.
I only played the original Mario from the SNES so when I played this I wasn't sure what to expect. Within the first 15 seconds, I knew what I am supposed to do. It wasn't the most obvious that I should prevent enemies from going into the tube (I thought it was an avoid game only). But I "stumbled upon" it as you mentioned.

Level Progression - I tried to ramp the player up in difficulty and introduce new elements in a way that hopefully makes sense.
I found the difficulty is fine. It didn't feel too hard.

Controls - I've watched a couple friends play older versions and they had trouble jumping up onto the next platform up.
That is what I didn't like a lot about the game. The controls are... weird. Sometimes (not sure it my fingers or the controls) I hit the right arrow and I find myself going left or doing nothing at all. But I think however this scheme is the best for this sort of game.

I've really only tested on a Galaxy S3 because... that's what I have. Does it work fine on your phone? or even tablet?
My phone is an LG 4X Optimus HD (P880). Works really good on it.

and honestly anything else at all that you've got
It was really a gun game although I found a few awkward things. For example, if you hit the platforms from the side when you are falling from a jump, the platforms move as if you hit them from below. The jump height = how long you press the jump button might be the one causing the jump problem but I found it OK.
Another thing is collisions, for some reason sometimes I jump on things and I land right next to them and they kill me. I don't go through them... just that I think that the hit box for the character (or the enemies) are smaller than their sprite? Not sure... perhaps it is me.

I'd preferred if when I lose a life you don't pause the game and let me continue rather have me restart the level.

Not sure how I feel about playing having to start from the very beginning. From one end it is old school Mario that I grew up with, where you don't have the save option. It isn't a common gameplay element unless it is within the rogue-like genre. Specially when the dominant factor on mobile games is causality. Personally, I have no problems with it. But I am unsure of others.

The music was OK for the first level, second at most... then it became annoying as it doesn't change and the track wasn't quite that interesting.

All in all it is a fun game and I really enjoyed it. Albeit it needs some graphical touch instead of using the Gombas from Mario Tongue

uy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:14:43 AM »

Thanks for the thorough breakdown, Vallar!

Controls
Yea, I'm not much of a fan of these types of controls on mobile games. It admittedly gets particularly troublesome when you have to deal with the character running through the areas that your fingers are covering up. But like you mention, I'm not sure what could be better for this. I'll at least look into tweaking it some so that there's less of "I thought I hit one control but then another thing happened."

if you hit the platforms from the side when you are falling from a jump, the platforms move as if you hit them from below
I've definitely seen this before too. I think it's something with how I'm doing collision detection on those boxes.

Collisions
Thanks for the feedback on this. The hit box is a little smaller than the sprites on both characters I think. It was a quick fix for some other situations that felt weird - like I didn't think I should've hit them or they should've hit me, but the game registered it as happening anyway. I'll investigate some other solutions.

I'd preferred if when I lose a life you don't pause the game and let me continue rather have me restart the level.
Hm actually I don't know why I didn't consider that option more. I'd be interested to hear if others feel the same.

Goombas
Haha yea... I'm pretty sure they were the first sprites made strictly for prototyping that just ended up sticking around until the end.

All in all it is a fun game and I really enjoyed it.
This right here is really encouraging. I didn't touch on all your points (gotta run to work), but I am soaking it all in. So really, thanks for the feedback. Smiley
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:14:20 AM »

You are most welcome, I hope it just helps in anyway.

Oh by the way. I have played again and found a bug, but I am quite unsure why it happens. When you take that round golden coin, it still exists in the world sometimes. It might be when it falls down from the very top platform to the lower when. Not sure though.

uy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

Gah... I definitely have seen it before. Thanks for letting me know that that bug's still hangin around.
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 07:04:20 PM »

Sorry to post a lot. But I think I figured why the bug occurs. It happens when you take the coin while it is in the air falling from the first platform to the second one. Sorry for the delay, had to try a few different things till it happened Tongue.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic