Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:00:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTetriTower (Cancelled)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TetriTower (Cancelled)  (Read 2025 times)
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »

TetriTower
                                         Android/iOS

About the game
TetriTower is a small side project that I originally made for the Accessibility Jam, but unfortunately I missed the submission deadline. The idea kind of stuck with me for a couple weeks after so I decided to keep working on it!
The goal is to use your current shape (At the top) to build a tower. The higher you build up without having the tower fall over, the higher your score is. If the tower falls over, it's game over. Think Tetris combined with some sort of reverse Jenga.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:33:10 PM by Slader16 » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »

It's a good start. Smiley

The jerky camera movement is pretty hard to watch, I'd just keep the camera focussed on the top of the current stack rather than tracking the falling object. Also it should be clamped so it doesn't go down so far below the surface.

As for gameplay, I can't see the current form of this being any fun because (a) it's just a passive stack of boxes and (b) you only have one gameplay choice: the x-offset of each object. I'd experiment with twisting the concept and trying to find something more unique. Good luck!

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:38:05 PM »

@eigenbom
The camera movement is driving me crazy, so I'm glad that it wasn't just me!
As for not being fun, this is definitely a main focus for me, because I won't release a game that I don't enjoy. Fortunately, I have some ideas on improving the gameplay. Grin

I'll show you guys what I come up with in the next update!
 Coffee

Lopiky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:23:27 PM »

Looking good bro :D

Just a amateur game dev :p
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »

Update 1
    This week is a small update:
    • I've completely went through and changed how the spawning works.
    • Changed the physics over to Unity's new 2D system.
    • Simplified the process of adding new shapes, now it's as simple as drag and dropping them.
    • Removed that headache-inducing camera.
    • Cleaned and organized all of my scripts.
    • And finally, added 2 new shapes!

Here's a gif of everything in action:

I'm also considering adding some new features, do you guys have any ideas? 
    Grin

Slader16
    Level 8

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »

Update 2
    Finally got around to changing how spawning works, now the game waits for the current shape to collide before spawning a new one! I've also messed around with the physics, It's a lot better now. I've also figured out what makes TetriTower stand out from other games of the same genre:

The idea is that when an object collides with another shape, they stick together (eventually forming a huge mass of awesomeness). I also plan on adding a feature where after the tower falls, the player has the ability to share a picture of their tower (Before it fell over  Wink) along with their score.

What do you guys think?  Gomez
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:38:20 PM by Slader16 » Logged

eigenbom
    Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »

Having the blocks stick together sounds like a good idea to me, you should run with that and see how you go. I'd reduce all other variables though and make a minimal implementation of that. For example, if I just get given a series of rectangular blocks, one after the other, and can place them anywhere (with the surface area corresponding to the sticking/attachment strength) what kinds of structures are possible, is it fun, and can you see enough challenge and variety in there to make an interesting game?

Thinking thematically could help too. For example imagine a gang of goblins that are trying to climb out of a hole, or want to build a tower/bridge over a moat, etc. The shapes are then objects (coffins, corpses, horse carts, water wheels, dynamite?!), and the goal is to build a stable-ish structure given a series of parts. Given a theme, other gameplay elements may reveal themselves. For instance, the goblins could climb over the structure, reinforcing joints, or removing dead weight, etc.

Slader16
    Level 8

View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »

Alright guys, I haven't been working on this since my last post. But don't fret, I'm currently working on a smaller game atm, planning to start a devlog within the month.

I think it's time to declare this one R.I.P!

Toast Left Wizard

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic