Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:17:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsViking Ghost [ Greenlit! ]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Viking Ghost [ Greenlit! ]  (Read 6232 times)
DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »

Viking Ghost has been Greenlit! Thanks so much to anyone who's supported us and stay tuned for more soon!

Viking Ghost is a comical, story driven "Arcade Action Adventure-Dual Stick Shooter-Dungeon Crawler-Rogue-Like-Lite" (that tastes great...and less filling!). The game features eight locations, each having procedurally generated layouts that are different on each playthrough. The main inspirations behind the gameplay come from classics like; The Legend of Zelda, Smash TV, Robotron - and more recent indie titles like The Binding of Isaac, and Spelunky.

Gameplay:

In Viking Ghost you'll be using many different weapons and special abilities to fight your way through waves of enemies, as well as each level's Boss. In addition to combat, you'll be solving simple puzzles to advance through certain areas. Along the way you'll be collecting experience points and treasure which you can use to buy items and upgrade your abilities.

Story:

You play as "Ulfrik the Skull Splitter" – the greatest Norse warrior to have ever lived – who's been deceived and poisoned, and now finds himself dead, - trapped as a ghost in the underworld. Because of this, he is not only determined to seek revenge on those who've wronged him, but also seek out his rightful place in Valhalla, alongside all the other great warriors!

Links:

Official Site

Steam Greenlight (vote if you can!   WizardHand Metal Right)

Follow us on Twitter

Dead Alien Cult Facebook page

Dev Stream

Blog

Join our newsletter!

Features at a glance:

▪ Fast paced brutal combat
▪ Procedurally generated dungeon layouts
▪ High quality visuals
▪ Multiple weapons, abilities, and items to help you on your quest.
▪ Earn XP and coins to upgrade your player attributes & buy items
▪ A comical story driven epic quest for revenge
▪ Two Difficulty modes: Normal & "Extreme Metal Makeover Edition" (Perma-Death)
▪ Three Game modes: Story, Endless, and Horde
▪ Two camera angles to choose from: Dynamic and Classic (Top down)
▪ Light environmental puzzle solving
▪ Rage and Spirit mode for devastating attacks
▪ Boss battles!

About Dead Alien Cult Ltd.

DEAD ALIEN CULT is a small Los Angeles based indie game developer formed by industry veterans focused on creating high quality games with personality. Collectively, the members of D.A.C. have over 20 years of experience - working on some of the biggest (and not-so-biggest) games for many well known studios and publishers. Past titles include God of War 3, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, True Crime: Streets of LA, Cruis'n USA, and many more.

STAY TUNED!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:12:40 AM by DeadAlienCult » Logged

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »

Screenshots:

Various dev shots & process:

Early on we knew it was important to find a pipeline that allowed us to create dungeon layouts procedurally and as efficiently as possible.  We had a basic prototype of this working in a few days, and then it was important to figure out how we wanted to create our room templates.  Originally, John (our programmer) wanted to create the entire room templates procedurally (you can see this in the first white box shot - where each ground tile is procedurally generated). We quickly decided this wasn't the way to go - since we wanted complete control over the art/layout for each room.

We still have some functionality that allows us to have some randomization in our room templates (like setting the percentage chance for props, hazards, enemy spawners to appear) - and are always looking for more ways to have increase the variation of each 'room' (not all our levels are traditional interior dungeons).

At the moment, I create all the room templates by hand within Unity.  These then get saved out and compiled using the Nested Prefab plugin (still can't believe Unity doesn't have this native! :\ ). This process works generally well, though it can create some problems for us at times (especially with animated props).  Also because we need to generate a lot of unique rooms - soon we'll be having multiple teammates working on cranking out as many room templates as possible together.  
Not only will this help speed things up, but it can be cool to see what kinda rooms the other guys come up with!

When designing the levels, I'll usually do a quick paint over concept sketch which helps get the general art direction for the level, and is also a great way to help plan how to break up the room pieces (this was very useful in designing our first exterior dungeon which was the Troll Forest level).  Next i'll do a basic block out of a few room templates to really make sure things are going to work in the game and find trouble spots.  Once all that's good and I feel confident things will work, we start art'ing up the levels with real art.

Currently I'm working on our newest level 'Dwarven Caves' using this same process. Still super early and lots to be decided in terms of art needs and level design but here goes nothing!

Thanks for checking in - til next time!

-Andrew & the Dead Alien Cult  Beer!

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »

Some character work:

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »

One of our latest gameplay additions is our new Spirit orb/meter system and the special attack it allows you to do now. Here's WIP animation (has since been slightly updated) of the new attack.  You collect spirit orbs from dead enemies now & charge up your Spirit meter to unleash this slam attack that kills all enemies on screen! It feels pretty awesome in the game so far, needs proper (in-game) FX tho.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:14 AM »

Hey, am I missing something? Nobody comments this topic and the game looks very professional. I just wanted to say that I really like the idea for the story and the general vibe of this game.

If I had to find a flaw though, i'd say he could swing his arms slower, he reminds me of people riding bikes on low gear paddling very fast, but really it's not a big deal (trailer impression). The storm in the forest was great.

I wish you success Smiley

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »

Hey, am I missing something? Nobody comments this topic and the game looks very professional. I just wanted to say that I really like the idea for the story and the general vibe of this game.

If I had to find a flaw though, i'd say he could swing his arms slower, he reminds me of people riding bikes on low gear paddling very fast, but really it's not a big deal (trailer impression). The storm in the forest was great.

I wish you success Smiley

Hey thanks so much!  We're a tiny team doing this mostly part time from our homes and sometimes have a sense of isolation or ''tunnel vision'' so its always nice to hear positive comments and get feedback (and I agree that his arm swing is way way too fast, especially in the trailer - we've slowed it down and I'm still working on finding a good balance - may just need to redo the animation entirely).

thanks again  Wizard Hand Metal Right

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »

Looks cool :D! Art style kinda reminds me of Warcraft 3 a bit (although more shiny and polished), especially some of the RPG maps you could get for it.

Nice work :D!

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »

Looks cool :D! Art style kinda reminds me of Warcraft 3 a bit (although more shiny and polished), especially some of the RPG maps you could get for it.

Thanks!  Your game looks really cool btw Smiley  Best of luck to you and your team!

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »

Thanks!  Your game looks really cool btw Smiley  Best of luck to you and your team!

Cheers very much :D!

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »

Here's a better shot of our new big bruiser troll for our forest level.

lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »

Oooooh saw your comment on screenshot saturday! This seems like a really fun game! I hope this gets Greenlit!
Also, I agree with someone previous to this--why aren't there more comments on this game!?

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 08:46:33 AM »

haha not sure why so many views but no comments. ah well - thanks for stopping by to check it out. glad you think it looks fun so far.  it's becoming more fun the more we add to it.  can't wait to get it in the hands of people when its done.  still lots of work left!

btw, your game looks rad.  best of luck with your kickstarter!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:13:35 AM by DeadAlienCult » Logged

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »

I'm unsure why this hasn't been commented on much too, well I think the game is looking really polish and the colours are wonderful, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this for sure!
DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 11:07:59 AM »

cheers' Toast Left

your music is quite good btw. nice tunes!

Mekuri
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »

This game looks absolutely amazing. I like the graphics style very much. This game looks very polished already, I could see myself play this.
I am curious about how your character stats works. Are there abilities, and/or stats that you level up?

You guys should be proud of what you've accomplished so far, especially if you only do this part time. It looks so professional and well polished - Great job!

I'll definitely pop in and throw a Greenlight vote next time I'm on steam :-)
DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »

This game looks absolutely amazing. I like the graphics style very much. This game looks very polished already, I could see myself play this.
I am curious about how your character stats works. Are there abilities, and/or stats that you level up?

You guys should be proud of what you've accomplished so far, especially if you only do this part time. It looks so professional and well polished - Great job!

I'll definitely pop in and throw a Greenlight vote next time I'm on steam :-)

Hi thanks a bunch for the vote!  As for upgrading stats - right now we have it where you enter a 'shop/stat upgrade screen' after you beat a level and you can spend experience points to upgrade your Speed, Attack Strength, and Defense. These just increase each stat and don't give you any new ability.

We are experimenting with being able to level up your Axe, Sword, and Shield though  (each having 3 levels).  These would be done via the shop area by buying the level increase per item.  These could give you new 'abilities'/attributes to your axe for example Lvl 1 - default axe. Lvl 2 - axe flies further? - Lvl 3 - axe bounces off walls etc.

We have most of the functionality of the upgrade & shop system working in game but we haven't finalized how each element will be handled.  If you (or anyone else) has suggestions we'd love to hear!  Thanks again

Vesper
Level 0

"Sometimes... Good shit happens."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »

Looks awesome! any cost idea?

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »

Thanks! When the game is finished it'll be your standard $14.99 - though i'm sure will be on sale for less at launch. We're also doing a Kickstarter in a month or two and will possibly offer it for less there.  We haven't thought too much about it yet.  Probably should start doing that!

Vesper
Level 0

"Sometimes... Good shit happens."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »

Thanks! When the game is finished it'll be your standard $14.99 - though i'm sure will be on sale for less at launch. We're also doing a Kickstarter in a month or two and will possibly offer it for less there.  We haven't thought too much about it yet.  Probably should start doing that!

haha take your time! cost is the least important aspect in early development!

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »

haha take your time! cost is the least important aspect in early development!

ha no I know - I was talking about out Kickstarter plans - how we should probably start figuring those out soon Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic