Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:02:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Plastic SCM
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Plastic SCM  (Read 1029 times)
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:32:40 AM »

I've just discovered Plastic: http://www.plasticscm.com/buy/community-edition-faq.aspx

It looks pretty nice! Made for large projects, Unity integration, simple GUI. Do any of you guys use it?

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:19:32 AM »

Logo reminds me of Magento and the sites design reminds me of phpBB and the classic Wordpress default theme.

Immediately upon hitting the site, nothing but horrible memories flooded my mind...  I'll need to revisit this shortly after bleaching my brain.

Are there any remote repo hosting options available for it yet?

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »

So it's Git with pretty colors?

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »

So it's Git with pretty colors?

The impression that I got. Seems like its going after the Perforce crowd, with the same concepts as git and it's flow.

Still though, honestly? pass.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:29 PM »

I prefer git on the terminal (or actually magit in emacs), there a just a few commands.
It makes me feel warm inside typing my commit messages on a terminal and pushing the goods to remote.

github isn't to shabby either last I've heard.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »

I prefer git on the terminal (or actually magit in emacs), there a just a few commands.
It makes me feel warm inside typing my commit messages on a terminal and pushing the goods to remote.

github isn't to shabby either last I've heard.

GitHub is great, I prefered BitBucket (mercurial and git) as they offered unlimited free private repos

and then I just buckled down and installed GitLab on a private server, as it's very like GitHub Enterprise for free

Mars V
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:06:11 PM »

Incoming wall of text. I am not a shill for Codice, I just get excited when I find someone else interested in Plastic SCM.

I've been using Plastic SCM for about two years. Currently I host a server for myself and my collaborators in a Windows Server VM on Azure. I used to host it on our site's Ubuntu web server, but it ended up being easier to manage via GUI in Windows. It got the most heavy usage when we participated in our first Ludum Dare, #29 in April.

Coming from a Team Foundation Server background, and having never used Git, I had some frustrations at first with how it tracks files by content instead of name. I would rename a class which changed the file name and more than 50% of the code in the file, which at first made Plastic SCM confused about whether it was still the same file. A recent update to Plastic SCM made this much less of a problem because now you get a slider for changing the percent difference in content Plastic SCM will accept when deciding if two files are the same. My understanding is that Git doesn't have this flexibility.

I think flexibility is really the main feature with Plastic SCM. It can be used centrally (everyone always commits to a central server) like Team Foundation Server or SVN, or distributed (each person commits to their own local repository and then pushes sets of commits to a central server when ready) like Git or Mercurial.

Branching is really easy and fast, especially with the GUI client. Codice likes to evangelize the "branch per task" style, where you create a new branch for every feature so that even when everyone is working off of a central repository, they can each still work on their tasks in isolation, committing often without breaking the build for everyone else.

Plastic SCM stores diffs instead of snapshots of files (I think Git stores snapshots of whole files). I would imagine this saves space with large binary files. Also, you can write plugins for diffing your custom binary file formats. All data is stored in a SQL database (MySQL, SQL Server, SQL Lite, etc), so backing up repositories is just a matter of backing up the database the same way you'd normally backup a SQL database.

Overall I like how Plastic SCM fits with my workflow, ease of setup and use, and its speed.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »

Yo, thanks for this link, I'm trying it out now though I'm just one guy and I don't use Unity. A nice local version control system looks like it'll be useful.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »

Yo, thanks for this link, I'm trying it out now though I'm just one guy and I don't use Unity. A nice local version control system looks like it'll be very, very useful.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic