Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:23:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYogscast kickstarter game debacle
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Yogscast kickstarter game debacle  (Read 16962 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »

seems like a dire week for yogscast.

their giga-funded game goes up in a puff of smoke, screwing backers out of $500,000+ while they wipe their hands of it
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/221297/Yogscast_We_have_no_obligation_to_cancelled_adventure_game_Kickstarter.php

and this whole yogdiscovery setup is sketchy as fak. i mean, i suppose there is no reason to think that youtube personalities would act any differently. there is hardly some youtube moral code and they are just cashing in where they can. BUT STILL.

so... what do you think? villains?

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:52:58 AM »

suddenly the potato salad guy has became a nicer guy. it will sure hit hard on all the crowdfunding game project. well, a lesson to be learn. Hand Pencil Facepalm

MrBones
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »

This is one of the reasons I don't find Kickstarter and Early Access to be viable platforms for consumers. There's pretty much zero obligation to finish your project once you have the money. Not to say good things haven't come out of it (see: Divity OS), but it poses a real problem to those willing to pledge money to things that will never get finished. I mean 5 people pledged $10000 to Yogventures. Could you imagine that disappointment?

Any remaining respect I had for the Yogscast is gone now, and YogDiscovery isn't helping me look at them any better.
Blambo
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »

This is one of the reasons I don't find Kickstarter and Early Access to be viable platforms for consumers. There's pretty much zero obligation to finish your project once you have the money. Not to say good things haven't come out of it (see: Divity OS), but it poses a real problem to those willing to pledge money to things that will never get finished. I mean 5 people pledged $10000 to Yogventures. Could you imagine that disappointment?

Any remaining respect I had for the Yogscast is gone now, and YogDiscovery isn't helping me look at them any better.

fuck a consumer kickstarter isnt an investment platform or a storefront and everybody knows it

right?

...right?
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »

Just one example of someone shitting the kickstarter bed

This is why it's important to be careful about who and what you fund on crowd-sourcing sites. But hundreds of examples of people delivering on their project (even if late in most cases, honest mistake to under-estimate time things take really) and people being super happy, then there comes these assholes and ruin it for everybody

*sigh*

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:17:47 AM »

Developers should be considerate when deciding whether or not to start crowdfunding campaigns. You have no business making a Kickstarter for a game that's going to take months or years if you haven't already finished games that take months or years. Even if, at the time, you feel certain you're going to be able to deliver, you're very likely wrong. Intuition isn't worth anything in this case; you need evidence.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 09:25:30 AM »

fuck a consumer kickstarter isnt an investment platform or a storefront and everybody knows it

right?

...right?

sure, caveat emptor and all of that, but i feel like its reasonable to expect that you'll get SOMETHING out of it. if the game is shitty or short or whatever, thats one thing, but just: *POOF* $500,000.00 is gone and the devs can't produce anything for it. Pretty shameful!

have there been lawsuits over this sort of thing? i could see the people who had enough cash to throw $10k into a goofy videogame might also have the cash to hire a lawyer or two.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »

I know there's at least one case of a lawsuit over a game that was cancelled. Can't be bothered to look up for the article right now but it was on Gamasutra not that long ago, if somebody wants to dig it (Gamasutra's search function sucks).
dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »

This is why we can't have nice things.

The state of Washington sued a Kickstarter, but it was a card game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216887/Washington_sues_Kickstarted_game_creator_who_failed_to_deliver.php

Winterkewl Games should be sued in to the ground. Not only for screwing their backers, but for mucking Kickstarter up for the rest of us. People say that you aren't "owed" anything for backing a project, but that's BS. They promise rewards for backing, then don't deliver on those rewards. That's theft.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »

In an open letter on Reddit, Yogcast's Mark Turpin explained that YouTubers are currently motivated to create videos about games that are already popular, in a bid to receive the most revenue. This new initiative should negate the financial risk, he claims.

That makes sense.

Rayiner
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:32:12 AM »

so this is actually real? that's a shame.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »

seems like a dire week for yogscast.

their giga-funded game goes up in a puff of smoke, screwing backers out of $500,000+ while they wipe their hands of it
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/221297/Yogscast_We_have_no_obligation_to_cancelled_adventure_game_Kickstarter.php

and this whole yogdiscovery setup is sketchy as fak. i mean, i suppose there is no reason to think that youtube personalities would act any differently. there is hardly some youtube moral code and they are just cashing in where they can. BUT STILL.

so... what do you think? villains?

Villains. The "dev team" is only one guy. This was just leveraging the community without a care.

If they cared at all, they would have simply hired a team to actually make the game. As if they can't find a team of established cool indie guys for 500k and change.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:50:26 AM by Pandara_RA! » Logged

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »

This is why we can't have nice things.

The state of Washington sued a Kickstarter, but it was a card game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216887/Washington_sues_Kickstarted_game_creator_who_failed_to_deliver.php

OK, so it was a game, just not the kind I was thinking on... Still, it does set a precedent.
ink.inc
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »

what a bunch of fucking idiots
ink.inc
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:56 AM »

both the devs and the people who backed them
ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 11:01:29 AM »

i mean what could you possibly expect from a bunch of mouthbreathing 30 year olds who play minecraft for a living
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »

No you don't understand, Minecraft is popular because of them and their youtubing.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »

Minecraft is popular because of Paul Eres and no one else

Blambo
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »

No you don't understand, Minecraft is popular because of them and their youtubing.

they were mouthbreathing 30 year olds at the right time and place
HDSanctum
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 12:45:21 PM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/yogventures/comments/29rduc/winterkewl_games_is_dead/

Very interesting, seems like the dev sincerely tried but just didn't have enough experience, so at least it wasn't an outright scam. I find it odd that he mentions working full time on another job even though this game was funded and presumably should have received his full attention.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic