Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:11:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYogscast kickstarter game debacle
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Yogscast kickstarter game debacle  (Read 16961 times)
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2014, 12:52:59 AM »

Yeah I imagine the first thing you would do once the kickstarter ends is to go to a lawyer and have him write up all of the contracts. I mean, the guy even admitted that he didn't know what he was doing.
ink.inc
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/21/yogscast-declines-to-comment-on-claim-it-received-150000-of-yogventures-kickstarter-money/

lel
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »

Schilcote
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2014, 01:45:18 PM »

Joker_burns_money.jpg

If I had GIMP installed on this computer I'd put Simon's head on the Joker, but I don't so I won't.
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2014, 02:17:36 PM »

Joker_burns_money.jpg

If I had GIMP installed on this computer I'd put Simon's head on the Joker, but I don't so I won't.

fuck

poe
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »

let's kickstart tigsource
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »

TigSource Console. Every game that has the devlog in here will be playable in that console.

Tigsource 2. Version 2 of the forum which will have new section like Firezone, where member can shitcall anyone and flame the troll without getting banned, and Gamezone, where everyone play chess.

We will make millionz. Waaagh!

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »

Apparently theres a "rumor" and unknown source that say Yogscast pocketed 150k straight up from the total.

Whoops.

Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:49 PM »

the dev say yogcast take 150k, but the truth is no one know what they did with that 150k. is it going to refund for the backer or anything else, no one know.

also i just realize the dev didn't have a lead programmer when they start to developing that game.

we should start making a game by drawing pretty picture of it, then compose it into one big gif and then ask people to pretend they were playing that game. brilliant.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2014, 04:48:13 AM »

we should start making a game by drawing pretty picture of it, then compose it into one big gif and then ask people to pretend they were playing that game. brilliant.
sadly this exactly describes two of the most hyped games in tigs history (café and stealer (and frog sord (sort of)))

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2014, 05:16:41 AM »

sadly this exactly describes two of the most hyped games in tigs history (café and stealer (and frog sord (sort of)))
But café is so pretty  Cry
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2014, 06:19:27 AM »

I haven't heard about those two :|

Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2014, 02:29:51 AM »

I haven't heard about those two :|

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2014, 03:36:01 AM »

those were before your time
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2014, 05:16:07 AM »

stealer was like last year though

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »

I'm still having trouble understanding how so many bad decisions could be made and how half a million of backers money just got squandered?

Kickstarter of course is a popular option for indie devs to get crowdfunded. However, you have to have your shit together if you go that route. Once your kickstarter meets its funding goal and that money is in your hands, you better be able to deliver. Yogscast might find themselves facing lawsuits and then they'll have something to cry about. If I had any doubts, even small that I couldn't deliver my game or meet expectations, I'd be shitting my pants holding all that money.

According to what I was reading on Kotaku, Yogscast on Youtube alone has 7 million subscribers. On the kickstarter there were 5 backers who plunked down $5000, and another 5 who plunked down $10'000. You got some dedicated fans right there. Almost 1000 backers put down $90. So, if this was Winterkewl's first game and the developer was inexperienced, especially for a project like this.. why not instead of going the Kickstarter route where you MUST deliver, instead put up a website dedicated to the development of the game with a giant yellow donate button in the middle of it? There would be no legal obligation then and they could have taken as long as they needed to, to develop Yogventures. Once they went over their deadline, the stress went up and it all crashed, leaving it a sour note for everyone involved. Ugh. And the legal headache might be very far from over.

Am I wrong? If you have millions of fans, could you still get decent $$$ just through donations? Enough to make this game? If you were lucky and got enough money for the project, then you'd be able to reward the generosity kickstarter style. You could still give your donors perks if you wanted to.

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2014, 08:18:45 AM »

why not instead of going the Kickstarter route where you MUST deliver, instead put up a website dedicated to the development of the game with a giant yellow donate button in the middle of it? There would be no legal obligation then and they could have taken as long as they needed to, to develop Yogventures.
greed  Hand Money Left

MrBones
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »

why not instead of going the Kickstarter route where you MUST deliver

I don't believe that's true. I believe that Kickstarter recognizes the risk itself in its terms of use.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2014, 08:42:30 AM »

It seems like there's no legal recourse for people to get their money back in this situation anyway. It's kinda scary because any semi-artistic scammer on Kickstarter could make $10000+ for just making a video. Not saying that anyone in this situation was a scammer, this was just a lot of poorly laid out plans crumbling one after another.

Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »

why not instead of going the Kickstarter route where you MUST deliver

I don't believe that's true. I believe that Kickstarter recognizes the risk itself in its terms of use.

Well, I'm sure there are always exceptions, like the unexpected. A realistic reason could be a death in the development team for example. If you can prove a legitimate reason as to why the project can no longer be completed after successful funding, then there is nothing further that can be done or is to be done. The end. Yes it would leave a lot of disappointed backers, but what happened might be something that was beyond the control of anyone involved. You can't stop death for instance. What happened with Yogscast could have all been avoided from the get-go. As in.. not start a kickstarter at all OR get the game developed by experienced developers/development company. But I should have worded that differently none the less.

It seems like there's no legal recourse for people to get their money back in this situation anyway. It's kinda scary because any semi-artistic scammer on Kickstarter could make $10000+ for just making a video. Not saying that anyone in this situation was a scammer, this was just a lot of poorly laid out plans crumbling one after another.

From the articles I've been reading, Yogscast IS liable, regardless of what they themselves claim or think. They CAN be held accountable and sued. Again, I may be wrong.

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic