Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:07:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDrift'n'Drive
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Drift'n'Drive  (Read 4241 times)
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2014, 12:03:29 AM »

Hello everyone!

Update 22.10.2014

The game is done! Link to trailer:

-- Old introduction post

Drift'n'Drive is a vertically scrolling, top down racing game. You race on randomly generated tracks of increasing difficulty against AI racers and upgrade parts to build faster and more powerful car as you go. My general aim is to keep the races relatively short and replayability high so you can play it in short sessions on your phone or whatever. Also a local multiplayer tournament mode is in the plans.

I'm doing all the work (except music and sound effects) myself like in my previous game(s) (devlog). Lot's of things to do still, but I like where it's going. I've posted some earlier in-progress shots on my Twitter @gimblll for #screenshotsaturdays if you want to see a more. I'll be posting updates here too from now on.

GIFs

Logo animation test

Gameplay

The Work

Done
   - race track generation
   - racing gameplay
   - AI
   - menu flow and all layouts (except multiplayer)

Remaining (at least)
   - local multiplayer tournament mode
   - pass 1 at tuning the part upgrade path and money balance
   - lots and loads of polish (all animations etc. are missing from everywhere, etc.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:12:53 AM by gimblll » Logged

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:18:17 AM »

Working on local split screen multiplayer. Just got 2 players working, yeah! Rough tournament setup menu is done too. 4 players should be pretty easy from now, just a matter of setting up the split screen layout. After that, have to check if it needs optimization on the device (it's pretty simple rendering and CPU wise so I hope not, but with the 60fps target I'm not 100% sure). And after that I have to start setting up scoring, result menus and such for the tournament system.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »

Look fun, are you adding different powerups you can find on the road? Smiley
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »

Look fun, are you adding different powerups you can find on the road? Smiley

Thanks! I'm not sure yet, but I'm currently leaning on no, because I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can and driving is already quite busy without extra stuff on the roads. But we shall see, I'm probably going to prototype them anyway.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:12:40 AM »

4 players should be pretty easy from now, just a matter of setting up the split screen layout. After that, have to check if it needs optimization on the device (it's pretty simple rendering and CPU wise so I hope not, but with the 60fps target I'm not 100% sure).

4 player game works now. Aaaand I was wrong about the rendering performance. Need to optimize. Retina resolutions and underpowered GPUs do not make a happy programmer.

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 05:27:10 AM »

This reminds me of a game i used to play in the arcade, 4 wheels around a table top. Can't remember what the hell it's called, good times though.

ghosted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »

Scifa, I think you're recalling either Ivan Ironman's Super Off-Road or Super Sprint.

As for Drift'n'Drive a little part of me is thinking "Ooh you bastard" because I had thoughts of a pure vertical steering/racing game for mobile but the other part of me is "Ooh, you talented bastard" because I think you're doing a much better job of it than I inevitably would. I definitely wanna have a razz on that.
Savick
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »

I'm not having a super hard time reading the logo, but white outlines on bright yellow text isn't the best choice for readability I think. May wanna come up with some variants.
Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »

@ghosted Found it, looks nothing like it now Embarrassed

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »

That cabinet looks totally badass! Smiley I remember playing a similar tabletop football arcade game with two players, that was great too.

Scifa, I think you're recalling either Ivan Ironman's Super Off-Road or Super Sprint.

Ironman's Super Off-Road was one of my favourite games when younger! We spent ages playing it on C64 with my brother and later the arcade version on Mame. Our little town didn't have any "real" arcades, so I missed the authentic experience though.

I'm not having a super hard time reading the logo, but white outlines on bright yellow text isn't the best choice for readability I think. May wanna come up with some variants.

I think it shows better in full colors and full res, but I'll keep it in mind when I iterate it next time. Thanks!

Jarkko Vallius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »

Slicks ’n Slide was THE game I used to play as a kid. This seems to have the same vibe. Watching!

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 05:21:45 AM »

Finally 60fps on 4 player split screen multiplayer. Had to cut one iDevice out though, too low specs and too much work to make it work on that too.

Also did lots configuration and "mod" options for multiplayer, like "big cars" or "slippery road" or whatever, so it can be played a bit like a party game if wanted. Maybe. Haven't tried it yet with other people. Smiley Also the multiplayer tournament point calculation is done too and rough menu screens for it. Lot's of polish to do in the menus though.

Next I'll probably try to do one pass on some of the temp UI stuff.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 01:52:38 AM »

Doing HUD/UI stuff... new stunt display done, new starting counter done and multiplayer mods display done. (see it here https://twitter.com/gimblll/status/496593442907377665)

And much more to do... I'm so slow drawing anything UI related that I like that it feels like it takes ages to do anything like this.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:09:04 PM »

Lot's of UI stuff done, the menus are still pretty rough but the in-game HUD elements are ok now. And the game flow should be better.

This week I've been thinking of trying to get the arcade mode to be completeable from start to "end". Mainly I need to decide on how the upgrade parts work and and balance the money prizes and costs. I wrote some tools to export data from spreadsheets in LibreOffice to the game so I can tweak all the values in one view instead of jumping around in the code all the time. So, let's see where I'll get to this week with that.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »

I'm not into racing games, but this looks fun as hell.  Following.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 10:54:52 PM »

I'm not into racing games, but this looks fun as hell.  Following.

Thanks! Smiley

Let's see. This week I did a number of full play throughs and tried to balance all money prices and costs. It's okayish now, need to test it with real players though as I probably have a skewed pespective on the difficulty. Also wrote a lot of in-game texts, like car part and track descriptions, so everything should be ok on that front as a first pass. Then did a lot of font fixes too after that so now all text line break properly and don't overlap with anything.

The game can now be completed from start to "end". But I feel like there's something missing still, so I'll probably add some secrets to the end game at least. Then I'm thinking of adding a separate time attack mode with fixed tracks (the "normal" arcade mode has randomized tracks) too to give some more things to do in the game. The plan I guess is to make some rough versions of those next week.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 03:08:08 AM »

Made time attack mode now. Works fine and was pretty easy to do. Then I've been trying to integrate Apple's Game Center leaderboards into it, so that it would display friend scores etc. in the menus nicely...

What a pain in the ass! The SDK and dev environment for Game Center is totally abysmal. For example, there seems to be no way of getting the players global rank, except to search through the whole leaderboard. Yeah, not going to do that. And for example, certain features are impossible to test in a test environment, so basically I would just have to release the game and hope it works! ...so yeah, features are going to get cut. *sigh*

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 08:27:04 AM »

Looks fun, especially the split screen multiplayer. Not enough of such games on my iPad Smiley

@APantaloni | Currently working on: Exgenesis | Out now: Avoid Sensory Overload | www.48hstudio.com
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »

Looks fun, especially the split screen multiplayer. Not enough of such games on my iPad Smiley

Thanks! Yeah, I hope the split screen works well for people. Bit too crowded with 4 players, but should still be fun. Smiley

And yeah, dev update. I've been working on polishing and finalizing menu screens. Trying to make them all animate and feel satisfying to use. Still plenty of work to do, so the next week is probably 100% menu stuff.

Posted a shot of the main menu here: https://twitter.com/gimblll/status/505613798305460224

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 12:05:12 AM »

Menu work 90% done. All screens animate and graphics are near final. Just some usability tweaks and some effects here and there to be done. Been a bit sick so work has not proceeded very fast...

Not sure what I'll work on next, the TODO list is getting shorter. Really happy about that. At least I'm planning on adding ghost cars to the time trial mode. Not 100% sure I like ghost car feature as it, but it seems to be a pretty standard racing game feature, so why not... At least I'll test it and I hope it adds some fun to the mode. Unfortunately I can't make ghosts work with leaderboards as then I'd have to write my own servers etc. :/

One large tasks that need doing are sounds, all sound is still missing. And then achievements... but that should be pretty easy.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic