Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:56:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessThe Visual Novel Market
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Visual Novel Market  (Read 961 times)
Odyne
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »

I learned that the visual novel market is very small. So If I make it as interactive as possible, and publish it as  an art game, It should be better sales? Cause I believe that art games have a bigger market than visual novels I think, because their more interactive. And that casual games have a bigger market than art games, because they have actual gameplay and objectives.

\\\"If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go\\\"-Groucho Marx
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 03:30:07 AM »

Hi,

In my opinion games have a better way of spreading through the internet than "visual novels". I make animations for Youtube and my games have got more than 2 million views overall compared to my yt channel which has about 200k views.

Convert them into simple point and click games and you'll definitely win! Avoid the mobile market and wrap your games with advertising, put them on the net with HTML5, distribute them and... VoilĂ !!!!

mcErik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »

I wouldn't say there is any conclusive solution for your problem, it really depends on your situation. It wouldn't surprise me if interactive art games do indeed have a bigger market, but at the same time, they are much more work to complete. Furthermore, not every story is really meant to be told interactively, some stories might become too slow paced or boring if you cram them full of point and click objectives. I know this is tagged "Marketing", but I really don't think this type of decision can be made without thinking about gameplay and what suits your needs best. Whether a game has consistent and engaging gameplay is what will ultimately decide it's success. I would suggest thinking about your game idea and going with whatever gameplay challenges that fit your story best. For immerssive and deep stories this could simply be having branching text options, for light hearted art based exploration type games you'll be better off sticking to point and click, interactive puzzle type gameplay. Every game design is unique, there is not universal rule about what genres to avoid, the decision really comes down to what your talents are and how you can best use them to create a polished consistent product.
Odyne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »

Okay thanks guys I'll keep all of this in mind Smiley

\\\"If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go\\\"-Groucho Marx
Sushi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »

A bit late to the topic maybe, but I made a visual novel for iOS last year and actually made like 600 sales from it, it suprised me, since I did not expect that much.

So if you have a good idea for one, I would say to go forward  Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic