Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:22:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI just want to know if I'm doing this right.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I just want to know if I'm doing this right.  (Read 1064 times)
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

I'm sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong place; it's three AM and I've had a few and I just want to get this out so I can hear someone else's opinions for once.

I finished my first year at community in June, and I switched over to the simulation/game development program for the fall. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I've made a few small games, little platformers and shooters in Construct, nothing big. I haven't really taken steps to learn a programming language, mostly because I don't know where to start on my own. I can't draw yet, but I'm working on it. I don't have a job, and it's difficult to find work in the area.

I've got a lot of questions, and I don't know where to find the answers. Is switching my major to SGD worth it, or should I stick to getting an associates in arts or science? Should I get my associates and then go for game design? Is a community college game design degree worth anything at all?
AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »

It would be bit easier for me to help you if you could tell me what college you are attending so that I can see the course sequence for the program. I currently study at DigiPen Institute of Technology, majoring in BS Computer Science in Real-time interactive simulation (fancy name for game programming). It's an amazing place to study! It's probably one of the best places to study game programming in the US (not talking about game design though. GD at DigiPen is good, but there are a few other good places, like USC).

I was studying Computer Science in Venezuela before at one of the best universities and decided to leave after 4 years (we graduate in 5 here) to pursue my degree at DigiPen and it's been totally worth it. One thing I've learned in the past couple of years is that a degree may help you a bit when getting a job, but the most important thing is your Portfolio. My recommendation would be to get your education wherever you can afford it, provided it's decent at least, and focus the rest of your free time in getting better at whatever you want to specialize in. That means, 18 hour days, 5-6 days a week. Make games, make tech demos, design, draw, whatever it is you do, get good at it and get portfolio pieces. I get to DigiPen at 8:30 am every day and leave at around 12:30 midnight. That is how dedicated I am and how most of my friends are, which are, incidentally, at the top of our classes.

Good luck! Don't hesitate to reach me if you have any questions. My contact info is in my personal website, on my signature.

PicklesIIDX
Level 0

Follow your heart!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »

AleHitti has it right. Your success is based on what you actively do. From college, you should be looking for it to provide opportunities: A good network of contacts in the industry. Other motivated students who will eventually join and run the industry. Support and discipline to finish the projects you start.

I graduated with a bachelors in game design from Champlain College 4 years ago, along with about 60 other game development students. Some of us got jobs right away, some took years, some still haven't joined the industry. Although the classes are important in giving you access to tools and techniques, you can tell who will make it in the industry before that diploma is received. Having now hired many people at the studios I've worked at, I can tell you that the degree isn't super important. Having a degree tells me you can commit to something for years and complete it, which is good baseline. But what I really care about is if you can do the work and if you can fit the culture of the team.

If you really want to make games, you'll find a way to do it. If you skirt by, doing the bare minimum in college, then that will be an indication that you might not be really into this lifestyle/career. Either way, no matter what degree you decide to focus on, you'll naturally follow whatever path you really want to. Think of the degree as providing you time and opportunities to focus on a potential path. If this path sounds interesting, you should absolutely try diving into it. Worst case scenario is that you don't care for it and do something else  Smiley

Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:47:57 AM »

Is switching my major to SGD worth it, or should I stick to getting an associates in arts or science?

Liberal arts degrees are mostly worthless. Go for math and science, and learn to code. Some of the former "game developers" I talk with are now app/software devs working in areas that pay well more.
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »

Is switching my major to SGD worth it, or should I stick to getting an associates in arts or science?

Liberal arts degrees are mostly worthless. Go for math and science, and learn to code. Some of the former "game developers" I talk with are now app/software devs working in areas that pay well more.

Swaggermuffin is absolutely correct. 

However some minor other observations ; for many jobs all that matter is you have *any degree at all*!

A degree is a resume filter for some businesses.  When they have 100 resumes to review they go through and say "which ones have degrees? throw the ones that don't in the trash!" Look now we only have to review 12 resumes!

Sure; there are fields where experience or demonstrated ability to produce real output is more important than a degree -- but there are many more that literally do not care what your degree is in, they just want to hire someone with a degree.

So if that's all you care about then get whatever degree is easiest or most pleasurable to you.

However if you really care about what your going to be doing with the rest of your life; and you'd like that to be in either programming or even specifically game design and creation -- then absolutely get a computer programming / science style degree hands down. 

Also make things that you can show that its not just a piece of paper.

In the end you may not get to make games professionally - but you almost certainly will get a great career in the tech industry that pays well.

Infernohawke Entertainment
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 04:59:05 AM »

I think you meant "Mister Dave is absolutely correct".

Furthermore, software engineers outside of gaming have slightly better job security, if they're any good at it.
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »

I think you meant "Mister Dave is absolutely correct".

Furthermore, software engineers outside of gaming have slightly better job security, if they're any good at it.

Ha! Oops misquote/attribution my bad - you are indeed correct that is what I meant!

Infernohawke Entertainment
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic