Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:37:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallJumpGame - A free, difficult, NES-inspired platform game [PC]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JumpGame - A free, difficult, NES-inspired platform game [PC]  (Read 571 times)
xylonsteve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2014, 12:48:13 AM »

JumpGame is a simple but difficult platform game, inspired by NES games I used to play when I was a kid. All you have to do is jump to the top and collect the treasure. But this game is pretty difficult, and it'll take you a while to be able to beat the unlockable hard mode.

I designed the game so that you could beat the base game in a single sitting (if you are skillful enough!) so it won't take up too much of your time.

This game took over a year to develop and is totally free to play so head over to my site and download it!  Screenshots and download available here: http://www.fig14.com/jumpgame

Good luck! Have fun! Feedback welcome!
xylonsteve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »

Here's a nice review from reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/playmygame/comments/2azk1k/completed_jumpgame_a_free_difficult_nesinspired/cj0h117

JumpGame -

So. Much. ANGER.

Sure it might not look like that many deaths but each one was laced with profanity.

System: - Windows 7, PC. I had to run the installer and the game in admin mode otherwise it was throwing weird errors and not loading properly which made me a bit concerned my virus scanner missed something. After that, away I went.

Playtime: - Clocking in roughly 30 minutes. I would've played longer but getting hungry for dinner.

Graphically/Theme: Old school NES? Nailed it. While I do see a lot of games with this art style, it looked very nice and everything fit together really well.

Controls/Gameplay: Move and jump. Extremely tight controls, probably the best I've seen in a while for indie games which is hugely important for a game thats trying your patience. Additionally everything’s set to go quickly which allows me not to get impatient. I would probably give the largest kudos here. The solid controls / quick gameplay kept me engaged.

Music/ Sound: Fun, light and fit the theme well. A bit short but that tends to be the case.

Playtime/ Experience: Frustration, but isn't that what you anticipated? I have actually thought of a game very similar to this but it never came to fruition so I'm actually quite pleased to play something that I was wanting to make but never did.

I feel like a lot of effort and polish went into the completion of this game and while I say that a lot, the lack of bugs, quality movement and way everything was put together just jived really well. I actually feel that level 2 is leagues harder then level 3 and that sometimes the randomness puts you in a really annoying position but starting over is so quick that it becomes less of an issue.

I honestly don't have much to add! It was awesome for what it was and accomplished everything it stated the game was. I really hope you're still developing games!
drmikey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »

this looks ADORABLE. is there a video trailer anywhere? i couldn't find one.
xylonsteve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »

There's no trailer, but it's not a very big download so it won't take long to download it and give it a go.
apebeast
Level 0

Indie game designer making high quality games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »

Wow this is sooo cool. Especially art! I recently wrote why I switched from 16 bit graphics to a flatter and simpler color palette 8-bit graphics to pretty much make the game more accessible to players, you can check it out here and let me know what you think: http://blog.getyologoat.com/post/91803483148/pixel-art-update-1-why-we-chose-to-switch-from

Here's a link to my game, feel free to check it out as well Well, hello there!:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41638.msg1035663#msg1035663

JumpGame is a simple but difficult platform game, inspired by NES games I used to play when I was a kid. All you have to do is jump to the top and collect the treasure. But this game is pretty difficult, and it'll take you a while to be able to beat the unlockable hard mode.

I designed the game so that you could beat the base game in a single sitting (if you are skillful enough!) so it won't take up too much of your time.

This game took over a year to develop and is totally free to play so head over to my site and download it!  Screenshots and download available here: http://www.fig14.com/jumpgame

Good luck! Have fun! Feedback welcome!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic