Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:36:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralreddit is a mess ?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: reddit is a mess ?  (Read 2636 times)
Camel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:21:58 AM »

Hi guys,

I have always read about screenshot saturday on reddit, but I cannot understand where the hell is people posting their saturday screenshots.
Is anyone here using reddit screenshot saturday ?

http://www.reddit.com/search?q=screenshotsaturday

Everything I find is months old.
Does anyone know if this has been abandoned ?

Thanks Smiley

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »

pretty sure it's just on http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev

but reddit is a cess-pit

Nikira Bam!
Level 0

Sup.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »

Exact link: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/2b3raf/screenshot_saturday_181_eye_on_the_prize/
A new thread goes up every week for it.

IMHO, everyone in r/gamedev is pretty nice and supportive, except for the occasional troll. Just don't feed him.

Twitter: @NikiraBam
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »

I've never really used Reddit :/

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 05:48:08 PM »

screenshot saturday is much more of a twitter thing than a reddit thing

darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »

Standard Reddit can appear a mess, much like standard Facebook.  Once you understand how it is organized, and then filter Reddit so it just shows you what you are interested in, then it can be a very useful tool.  The fact is Reddit has millions of users, I've got more clicks on my website from reddit than all other websites combined, including TIG Forums.

Reddit is an unorganized list of subreddits - the equivalent of forums in a forum website.  Anyone can create a subreddit about anything, and therefore there are thousands, some covering the same subject as others, many empty.  Some are interesting, many are not.

First thing to do is create an account, when that is done you can filter out the crap.  Next thing - unsubscribe from all the default reddits - these are usually full of childish commenters, memes, nothing useful.

Next - hunt for subreddits you are interested in, and subscribe to them.  If you find a subreddit you like, check the sidebar on the right hand side, it will normally list other related subreddits.  Another way to discover subreddits is to search on a topic e.g. "game dev", and a list of the main subreddits that contain your results will appear at the top of the results.

My personal list of game dev subreddits are:

/r/devblogs
/r/gameai
/r/gamedev
/r/IndieGaming
/r/truegamedev
/r/xna

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
poe
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »

/r/gamedev is a shithole IMHO. One of the communities I started in. Screenshot Saturday is great on there for building an audience, and it's a good place to post your game. As far as community goes though a lot of people are just too damn stupid.
JimmyJ
Level 1

Hi!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »

The way posts are ordered on reddit breaks my mind and makes the site unuseable. Fuck that site ugh. Worse than tumblr and it's wall shit.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »

/r/Gamedesign is pretty good too

Uykered
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »

Reddit is pretty decent for things like news, and that it has a single account for almost any topic so you don't need to sign into a billion different sites. But the forum format is better at everything else because there are topics we want to discuss for more than a single day.
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »

I second this. 

I'm also baffled by screenshot saturdays on reddit. Sticking to twitter for that.

darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »

I second this. 

I'm also baffled by screenshot saturdays on reddit. Sticking to twitter for that.

What exactly are you baffled about?  There is a weekly thread where people post up screenshots, and also a little spiel about their game, usually with any updates from the last time you posted.  Plus you get to include links to all your twitter / YT / other media channels.

The great point about Reddit is: your Screenshot Saturday post will probably get 10x or 100x the views that your twitter post will get...

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »

Screenshot saturday on /r/gamedev is pretty great actually. It's "central" to the subreddit and the gamedev community in general on reddit. I actually never quite got the one on Twitter, as it kinda requires you to have a good network already. On the reddit thread, you can actually get feedback from complete strangers, regardless if they "follow" you or not.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »

...I actually never quite got the one on Twitter, as it kinda requires you to have a good network already....

Not quite true - you can browse the screenshots posted to twitter at screenshotsaturday.com.  Also you can search for #screenshotsaturday within twitter.  So people outside of your followers will see your posts.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »

Not quite true - you can browse the screenshots posted to twitter at screenshotsaturday.com.  Also you can search for #screenshotsaturday within twitter.  So people outside of your followers will see your posts.

Thanks for the info.  This is not intuitive. 

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 11:09:01 AM »

Not quite true - you can browse the screenshots posted to twitter at screenshotsaturday.com.  Also you can search for #screenshotsaturday within twitter.  So people outside of your followers will see your posts.

Thanks for the info.  This is not intuitive.  
Every occurrence of #screenshotsaturday on Twitter is a hyperlink to a feed of other #screenshotsaturday tweets. Seems pretty intuitive to me.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »

Every occurrence of #screenshotsaturday on Twitter is a hyperlink to a feed of other #screenshotsaturday tweets. Seems pretty intuitive to me.

That part I got, but I didn't know there was a website people were viewing it from.  After looking at it though, it might be more convenient to just use a twitter client, huh?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »

...I actually never quite got the one on Twitter, as it kinda requires you to have a good network already....

how many do? Getting any views on your tweets is extremely hard, unless something changes after you have 5k+ followers, I use it only for fun talk with a few ppl that I know only from twitter

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »

That part I got, but I didn't know there was a website people were viewing it from.  After looking at it though, it might be more convenient to just use a twitter client, huh?
The website used to be really cool when there were only one or two hundred people doing #screenshotsaturday a week, but now it's kinda just a wall of noise, especially with all the fuckface teenage girls who use the hashtag for posting snapchat screenshots.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:39:20 PM by Irock » Logged

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »

The website used to be really cool when there were only one or two hundred people doing #screenshotsaturday a week, but now it's kinda just a wall of noise, especially with all the fuckface teenage girls who use the hashtag for posting snapchat screenshots.

Hah, exactly.  First thing I noticed. 

Is #screenshotsaturday supposed to be for gamedev, or do other communities use that hashtag for other legitimate uses?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic