Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:00:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsExcursion
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Excursion  (Read 1413 times)
Bob_STE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »

Excursion is a sandbox exploration game, currently in the alpha stage of development. My goal is to create a game full of surprises that inspires creativity.

I’m working on the game as much as I can, in my spare time. I also have a full time job building a cloud-based picture archiving communication system (PACS) for the medical industry.

The long term vision for Excursion is a connected experience across web, mobile, and PC. Someday I would like to provide configurable private server hosting for multiplayer. And at some point, I’d like to enable extensive modding capabilities.

Cheers,
Bob

Alpha 0.1.0.0 - 2014/07/12
single-player and multiplayer creative modes
Can place blocks
Can plant fruit
Can blast content with fireballs
Can eat fruit to get fireballs
Can view map

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:44:38 AM by Bob_STE » Logged

Bob_STE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:24:31 AM »

Alpha 0.1.1.0 - 2014/10/24
Map algorithm generates maze-like caves
Roofs hide content
Can place and blast roofs
Can place grass
Can place sand
Menu has tabs
Can store items in menu tab
10000 of each item

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:19:15 AM by Bob_STE » Logged

Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »

So far this is pretty interesting. I was wondering, is the player sprite a placeholder, or do you plan to make more dinosaur-like creatures playable? Also, will there be character customization options?

I had fun for the brief time I wandered around the randomly generated world. Another question I had is will there be any kind of combat/enemies/obstacles?

Would love to comment more as more content is added.

Bob_STE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:55:25 AM »

Tyro, thanks for checking out the game.

So far this is pretty interesting. I was wondering, is the player sprite a placeholder, or do you plan to make more dinosaur-like creatures playable?

Initially I planned for the player to be a creature, living among creatures of various species.  Now I am leaning towards the player being a human, doing things humans do, especially manipulating the environment.  There is still the possibility of the player changing into a creature or summoning creatures.  The creatures would benefit or suffer according to the players actions.  I would like to add many playable characters, ideally these would be more than re-skins and add depth to the game.

Also, will there be character customization options?

Eventually, I would like to enable players to use their own character sprites.  They're just 64x64 PNGs, so they're pretty easy to make.  The sprites themselves would be a form of self-expression.  Additional effects and abilities will likely appear as character buffs.

Another question I had is will there be any kind of combat/enemies/obstacles?

Yes, there will be combat, even PvP, but not in every mode.  I want to add this, but I don't want it to be the only experience I have to offer.  I am also considering competitive co-op modes, maybe something like Garden Ops in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, or Island Tours in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.  Obstacles will be a very prominent feature, both procedurally generated, and hand crafted in the creative mode.  Puzzles should even be possible, given the flexibility of the sandbox.

Would love to comment more as more content is added.

Great!  Hopefully I will update this dev log more frequently than I have been.

Thanks again,
Bob
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:37:16 PM by Bob_STE » Logged

shellbot
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:20:48 AM »

I tinkered around with this for a bit, and had pretty much the same questions as Tyro.

What is the objective of the game. You said you are adding PVP, but how will it work?
The concept seems kind of shallow at the moment. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing when I play. I don't want to come off like I'm bashing your project, but at it's current state I can't see where it is going.
Bob_STE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 01:52:33 AM »

I don't want to come off like I'm bashing your project, but at it's current state I can't see where it is going.

Of course not, I didn't take it that way.  The project is still in an early alpha state and there is much to be done.  I could have waited to post it online, but it feels good to get out of the vacuum.

What is the objective of the game. You said you are adding PVP, but how will it work?
The concept seems kind of shallow at the moment. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing when I play.

As a sandbox, my greatest aspiration for the project is to provide emergent gameplay and inspire the player to create their own goals.  It's not there yet, but that's where it is going.  PvP will come later.  I might provide a mode called "Capture the Flag", or perhaps this behavior will emerge, on a game server with certain parameters.  So far I have been focused on world building capabilities, everything is editable.

Thanks for tinkering,
Bob

Bob_STE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 06:05:04 AM »

Alpha 0.1.2.0 - 2014/11/06
Save map image

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:18:26 AM by Bob_STE » Logged

Bob_STE
Level 0

View Profile WWW