Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:21:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessYour experience with Steam Greenlight Concepts
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Your experience with Steam Greenlight Concepts  (Read 1334 times)
CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »

Hello there,

I am interested to hear about your experience with Steam Greenlight Concepts.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&section=concepts

Who of you has en entry there?
An how it is running? What is your experience/opinion on it?

Regards,
Ivica

loudo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 04:48:09 AM »

Hi,

I created a concept page on Steam 2 months ago. I have only 350 unique viewers (without any communication though) and 15% of voters. Most of visitors came the first week, after this very week I was not in the first page anymore, so I didn't have so much visitors after this period. Maybe I should make more announcements to make the project alive but sadly, once I was not in the top page anymore, nobody saw the project, so it was totally useless.
Again, I didn't really make communication outside of Steam, I was only testing the concept page. I think there are less people watching concepts than true greenlight projects. Having visibility on Steam is more difficult than on IndieDb because only your community has to help you to stay in the top page, you community has to be as much active as you.
However, I will try to resurect the page in few days to see if it's possible to have as much activity as the first pages Smiley

Hope it helps.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 05:05:44 AM »

Just like loudo, I made a page for one of my prototype games, NeuroIDE. A-a-and, I have only 60 uniques, no comments, 21% of voters, most of them, I guess, came from Twitter when I told people about it and from Steam Greenlight main page.

So-o-o, you can say that it was pretty useless for me. Lips Sealed Hand Thumbs Down Right

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:41:46 AM »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I upvoted/added you at Steam.

What I do not understand yet, what is the criteria for being on the frontpage? New Entry? Announcements? Ratings?
Moreover I saw that there are also collections from IndieDB and indiegames.com.. How do they work?

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:44 AM »

What I do not understand yet, what is the criteria for being on the frontpage? New Entry? Announcements? Ratings?
Afair, Steam gives you some time on main page to help you with the first promotion. After that, you're on your own. Same for "big" Greenlight.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:52:08 AM »

Yeah I had a go a few months ago and didn't get a ton of responses.  I guess having good media helps, e.g. trailers/pics etc.  The most popular ones seem to have quite stunning videos

TwistedJenius
Level 0

Entertainment with Brains, Brains with Bite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »

The game that we're currently working on has a Concepts page (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262252178&searchtext=) and our previous game had a regular Greenlight page. Comparing the stats from both, it's clear that regular Greenlight simply gets a lot more views and people looking at it than Concepts. Even though the older game's Greenlight page has been there much longer and hasn't been touched in months, it's still getting more views than our much more recent game's Concepts page. I suspect that this is just because the average Steam user is probably less excited about games that are still early in development and so that section of the site probably gets less traffic in general.

You'll also notice that it seems that many obviously bad games tend to be the ones who get a lot of comments in the Concepts section (in some ways this isn't surprising).

Here's the DevLog of the game I'm currently working on- Reptile Zoo: The Sinister Mutation
Vote for it on Steam Greenlight!
dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:59 PM »

Hey guys, I just wanted to chime in, in case it's helpful.

I posted a game on Concepts 40 days ago, with a short level play through video, a couple screenshots, and a description. I have not promoted it, although I did post one update to add a link to my TIG devlog.

I have 1400 unique views. Basically 98% of these were within the first 20 days, and I've had little to no traction ever since. 408 people voted, and there are 31 comments.

I do not know why I got a decent number of views, but if I had to guess, I think it's the cover photo. The artist I work with did a really awesome job on it.

Here's a link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=269845051

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic