Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:13:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBreakers Yard: Fast, robot-crushing action
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Breakers Yard: Fast, robot-crushing action  (Read 544 times)
protophant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »

Hello! I'm developing a top-down shooter in Unity called Breakers Yard inspired by the likes of SmashTV and Geometry Wars. At the core of the game is the weapon system: Instead of swapping out one powerup for another, they all just combine together automatically, so you could have all of them at once! Also: There are global leaderboards.

You can play the latest build here: http://protophant.com/latest

About the game:
- It gets updated about 1 or 2 times a week, the leaderboards just went live this week!
- It’s still in alpha, so if you have ideas about how to improve it, fire away.
- If you want, you can play all the old builds too (going back over a year) at the devlog, the first ones are pretty primitive.
- It supports the Xbox360 gamepad, if you have one (not mandatory though).

FAQ:
Q: Is there a difference between the characters?
A: No, it's just cosmetic, pick the one you think looks the coolest.

Q: What am I shooting?
A: Your basic weapon shoots junk, I'm currently talking to an artist. Smiley

Q: Why did I lose all my powerups!?
A: You probably ran over a "?" powerup, which has a chance to remove all powerups. This is slated for removal, but may return when I can improve feedback to the player.

Q: I can't find the rope!
A: It may be hiding under a tire that rolled over it. This is uncommon, but I'm working on a solution that makes sense.

Hope y'all like it!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:52:43 AM by protophant » Logged

Bob_STE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »

Thanks for sharing! I played it, and I have a couple thoughts.

Here was my experience in various browsers on 64 bit Windows 7:
Chrome: I clicked allow plugin, the game did not load, and the unity player was displayed on top of the page in every tab.  I had to close all tabs to make it go away.
Firefox: The unity player displayed an update required message
IE 11: Played without any problems

Just curious, do you plan to release it on mobile?

Q: What am I shooting?
A: Your basic weapon shoots junk, I'm currently talking to an artist. Smiley

I immediately knew it was junk, and I really like that it is.  If you're just trying to make it more obvious, that's fine.  If you're thinking about replacing it with particle effects or something else, you might reconsider.

The score submit should remember the previously entered name.  I wouldn't expect players to enter it more than once in a play session.

To me, the catapult and rope seem a little out of place.  Maybe because it's wooden and everything else is metallic and powered by electricity.

If you can pull off, multiplayer would be a blast.

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:49:43 AM by Bob_STE » Logged

protophant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »

Chrome: I clicked allow plugin, the game did not load, and the unity player was displayed on top of the page in every tab.  I had to close all tabs to make it go away.
Firefox: The unity player displayed an update required message
IE 11: Played without any problems
Wow, I hadn't seen anything like this, I'll ask around.  Maybe update your Unity Web Player plugin?

Just curious, do you plan to release it on mobile?
Not in the cards right now I'm afraid. I'm targeting a PC release, and since it is a dual-stick shooter it also could be at home on a console. Mobile is a challenge to implement with this type of fast-action game though. Two virtual sticks? Ugh...

I immediately knew it was junk, and I really like that it is.  If you're just trying to make it more obvious, that's fine.  If you're thinking about replacing it with particle effects or something else, you might reconsider.
It seems to go both ways with the players I've talked to, some of them can interpret the art and others cannot. I'm considering doubling the resolution of the characters to make it more accessible. (The base unit it 16x16 pixels now, so 32x32). Ex: What does the Yellow character look like to you?

The score submit should remember the previously entered name.  I wouldn't expect players to enter it more than once in a play session.
You are correct, this is planned for a future release.

To me, the catapult and rope seem a little out of place.  Maybe because it's wooden and everything else is metallic and powered by electricity.
Thanks for your honest feedback. Communicating the world this takes place in is a challenge because I'd like to keep NPCs babbling at the player to a minimum (or non-existent), to prevent it from interfering with the fast gameplay. This is a good reminder that I need to do more.

If you can pull off, multiplayer would be a blast.
Agreed. The game is not built for this at all right now, but co-op seems like a natural fit.

Thanks for the great feedback!

protophant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 07:10:26 AM »

A couple new builds went up this week. Improved the leaderboards and added a new playable character!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic