Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:56:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhy do you create games
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Why do you create games  (Read 5119 times)
Gwartney21
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »

So I am bringing this up because well in my own opinion thought it would be interesting to see others reasons behind why they are making a game and or deciding to. So as stated what is, your reason for wanting to create a game?

I do it for the passion of making the game it self,and being able to accomplish something, and being able to tell a story. On the other side of it if it goes well when its done, and I sell it I can also make money of it. I also see it as a fun learning experience to broaden specific skills.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »

I do it for the passion of making the game it self,and being able to accomplish something, and being able to tell a story. On the other side of it if it goes well when its done, and I sell it I can also make money of it. I also see it as a fun learning experience to broaden specific skills.
No game of mine has had a story worthy of it's name, yet. No economic motivations, either. And lack of skills to make something commercially viable by yours truly also helps to keep the dream of vast richness coming from video game commercialization at bay.

I just do whatever I need to do. And then delete it. And start yet another thing, and delete it afterwards, rinse and repeat.

Yeah.
He-Who-Develops-Games
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »

It makes me smarter, it's extremely fun, and I love games.
ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:27 PM »

Making games makes everything else pale in comparison.  And the game dev community is (okay, not all of it) wonderful.

jamsus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »

Create something of our own has always been a truly human thing.

I think it's the same thing of writing a poem, or waterpaint a landscape. Same stuff, different form, more specific, more in the true language of nature (which is mathematic). Each person can push out from himself some emotions, some feelings. Sometimes it can by done throu a game, other times in different shapes. It's like a very modern form of art.
Gwartney21
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:49:41 AM »

I think it's the same thing of writing a poem, or waterpaint a landscape. Same stuff, different form, more specific, more in the true language of nature (which is mathematic). Each person can push out from himself some emotions, some feelings. Sometimes it can by done throu a game, other times in different shapes. It's like a very modern form of art.

I think you said it perfectly I think its a really fun way to express your self
Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

Never, but question engineer's judgement

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 01:51:10 AM »

That.
Furthermore, it's a challenge, it's something like "Let's see if I'm able to do this"... and it's funnier than doing a "real job" programs Tongue

I'm not a insane, my mother had me tested

I'm an engineer. To save time, just assume I'm never wrong
Gwartney21
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:19:03 AM »

Well if your job is programming then its all wase fun to me but that is just my thing but if its any thing else then of course its all wase more entertaining. Smiley
mcErik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »

Personally I always liked game design. The process of creating something that others would enjoy was always really engaging to me. Once I learned programming and saw just what making games was like, I was in love. The ability to create functionality from nothing is just remarkable. I can take these awesome ideas that are in my head and express them in a fun and engaging way, How could you not fall in love with that. I've realized that making games is not for everyone, but confined to my abilities it is truly the best way I have to express myself creatively.
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »

I guess mine is a summation of previously stated points. It is a form of art in itself just like any other art form. That said, the ability to tell stories, live in worlds and make anything out of anything is pretty much one of the best feelings I have when creating a game. Doubled when you finally see a player play the game and mention how fun/engaging it was.

I guess what I mean is, the ability to make other people happy and that in turn makes me happy. Smiley

lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »

A couple of thoughts on the subject:

I think that my creative motivation comes from wanting to bring to existence something I personally would enjoy, Like drawing something I enjoy, writing an story I'd like to read, making games I'd like to play, etc.

Games are especially cool because they communicate an experiences (every game does tell a story. But of course the game's story does not have to have the traditional story arc. A game invites to you test out what a certain experience is like. The 'story'/experience of something like Tetris is something like experiencing the feeling of completion/closure/the constant pressure of having to make sense of random things coming at you?)

The relationship that the player has to the game is less passive than any other medium and potentially much more transformative. That's why I guess I like making games! I guess because it's the best way to communicate an experience, feeling, or story.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:13:28 AM »

I find making games to be one of the most fulfilling things I can do in terms of seeing the end result. I'm a writer and I have always enjoyed things like movies, games, art and design, and art design. I have always had a creative urge to get the things in my brain into reality (basically: "this would be awesome!") and games are a great way to do that that is fulfilling visually and textually. And a lot of my ideas fall firmly into the realm of fantasy where games are a lot more effective at conveying the setting.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »

For a couple of reasons.  

1. I'm not being mentally stimulated enough at work (I'm a software engineer).
2. I really like video games and I've always wanted to create one.
3. It would be really cool if I could some day support myself doing this.  To get to that point, I have to take the first step (this is my first game).
4. I think it's extremely valuable to get this experience that's outside my comfort level.  I have to develop my artistic ability and my marketing ability. 

Worst case scenario, I open source it and it'll help me get a mentally stimulating job in the future.

Gwartney21
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »

I have to agree that yea you do get a lot of skill sets from creating and launching a game,and it is a really entertaining process to see your game come to gather.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »

Iam just curios because im getting my degree for software engineering, why is it not stimulating? Is  it just because its not fun to you based on what you are working. Or because you cant be as creative at a normal job as you can with video games?
The reason I am asking is just because to me whether its creating games or software which I guess are the same type of thing just a diffident type of software I get enjoyment out of both so I guess it comes down to what your doing to me at least.

Creating Software applications can be fun, if it's something you want to make.

Often times in a corporate/enterprise environment, you spend years working on the same piece of software, and that software usually isn't sexy.  Like Banking or Point of Sale software, or Medical Software, and while all incredibly necessary, all of it is intensely boring to spend your day toiling away on 5 days a week for 8 hours (or more) a day.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:38 PM »

I like seeing my ideas for games come reality. I like the challenges that come with it. I try to make games that I would like to play.
I like trying, failing and finding solutions.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Gwartney21
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »

Iam just curios because im getting my degree for software engineering, why is it not stimulating? Is  it just because its not fun to you based on what you are working. Or because you cant be as creative at a normal job as you can with video games?
The reason I am asking is just because to me whether its creating games or software which I guess are the same type of thing just a diffident type of software I get enjoyment out of both so I guess it comes down to what your doing to me at least.

Creating Software applications can be fun, if it's something you want to make.

Often times in a corporate/enterprise environment, you spend years working on the same piece of software, and that software usually isn't sexy.  Like Banking or Point of Sale software, or Medical Software, and while all incredibly necessary, all of it is intensely boring to spend your day toiling away on 5 days a week for 8 hours (or more) a day.

Yea I can see how that would get tedious I think also to it really depends on who you go to work for,and also what you get to work on like you said. I mean you can get some really cool jobs and some that are tedious.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »

I like the idea of a group collaboration to craft a single cohesive package. Something multiple people can be proud of at the end of the day.

I personally like the technical challenge, though Im still quite a greenhorn when it comes to games programming (I still find writing a successful game loop to be inspirationally invigorating) I like exploring the various different disciplines.

But ultimately? I love the raw RUSH of seeing something come to life, when you tap that compile button. It's like raw wizardry man  Wizard

Gwartney21
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »

I like seeing my ideas for games come reality. I like the challenges that come with it. I try to make games that I would like to play.
I like trying, failing and finding solutions.

Defiantly my favorite part of any programming and design is the challenge behind it and its all wase important to create a game that you your self would want to play more than any thing.
Laddo_D
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »

I can't not.

Blog | Devlog
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic