Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:47:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhy do you create games
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Why do you create games  (Read 5076 times)
jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »

I like making stuff and I like making people happy.

Oxeren
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 01:24:52 AM »

I think it is a very important question to ask yourself from time to time, to reevaluate your view on this activity. It is essential to stay true to your basic values. Sometimes you can realise that you're making something reactively, just because you are used to do it. Or that you are influenced by some recent success story, and while you say that you make games because it is the best way of self-actualization and your purpose is bringing meaningful experience to people, but somewhere deep in your mind you know, that you just want to be like that successful guy, just to have money and fame.
And, well, I don't say that desire for riches and fame is bad. It's up to everybody to decide what they want and what they really value. The thing is, you should be honest about your motives, at least with yourself. And if you feel discord between your real motives and the ones that you consider to be your motives, it's time to stop and think. Continuous self-deception can lead to quite sad consequences for your mental and creative health.

Posthuman Wizard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 06:31:44 AM »

The reason I create games is because I've always loved video games growing up, and developing games itself is very fun; plus, there are few things more satisfying than seeing your concept gradually come to life as a playable experience.

What drives me to work on them and not give up, however, is my desire to create things that are significant and that people will remember; even if I fail, I'll take it as a learning experience and try again. I constantly look for ways I can improve myself in all aspects of life.

jprogman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »

I come up with three reasons:

• Makes me happy. I love games and I love coming up with new games. It's work, but there are some fun and pleasure in development. It also makes me happy to actually do something that I can really do and be proud of it.
  • To show my creativity and talent. Doing so allows me to connect with others. It's a type of software development that I've worked for for such a long time and like to continue working in game development. Doing so may also help me towards employment.
  • To show the world new game ideas. Innovation is bonus points for receiving attention to your line of work.

~JProgman ~ I Made Mosaic Mingle ~ My Web Portfolio ~ @jprogman ~
DevWithoutACrew
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 01:48:54 AM »

You know what was the biggest brain trip for me? The first time I didn't know what to play and It came up to my mind that I can play my own game! I felt like I was getting hooked up on the weirdest drugs and now I'm an addict! That's a good reason enough to continue creating games...

FTLRalph
Level 1

What?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 09:43:09 AM »

Probably since I just like creating stuff.

Can probably trace it back to when me and my brother were younger playing with legos. We'd each make our own "levels" complete with objectives, NPCs (lego-people), and maybe even a final-boss thing. Then we'd each take turns visiting each-other's "level" (playing as another lego person) and go through it as if it were a typical video game.

Good times.
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »

I (attempt to) make video games because if I didn't, the games I want to see made would *never* get made. Ever. Not even something similar. Because, frankly, my taste in video games is strange. I wish there were more puzzle platformers with a high concept that doesn't make immediate logical sense.

So, right now, I'm working on a metroidvania about finding and abusing glitches in the game engine (some that *I* personally had to find, not coded intentionally) to complete the game using fewer items than you are intended to. The odds of somebody ever making a puzzle game about using strange logic-breaking glitches in carefully planned ways are pretty low.

After I'm done with it (no time soon), the next project I have in mind is a normal puzzle platformer, that you play in reverse. The problem is figuring out how to even determine the past based on the future...

Eadow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »

Artistic expression. I like to work and bend the machine to create something that represents what I'm feeling or what's going on in my mind. Games especially are an amazing form for self expression because of the community around it and how easy it is to just put a game online and have people play it. That's a freedom that you don't have with every media, as some are way more complicated to get your work to the public.
I also have been playing games my whole life, so I guess I understand them well enough to be able to make them unique. Knowing the media you work on is a must, to be able to set yourself apart.

Follow me on twitter to know when new games come out @OPC_Eadow

Opposite Code - Because Freedom is Optional
AJARTCGA
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »

I once wanted to be an electrician, like my dad. I would work on all kinds of cool circuits and systems, but I would never make anything of my own.
Then I wanted to be an architect. Designing buildings, woo. Good money, and I would be creating things, but I figured buildings would bore me after a while.
Then I tried my hand at game programming. Not only did I fall in love with code, but I realized that, while in some jobs you can create cool things, maybe even something really awesome like a plane, nothing will beat the possibility of being a game creator. I can create entire worlds. And I do just that, on a regular basis.
Add making people happy on top of that, and it's an easy decision for me.

Follow Team White Sleeve on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WSleeveStudios
CaptainKraft
Level 0

Chillin like a villin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 06:04:11 PM »

This is such a GREAT question that more people should ask themselves. Here is a relevant video on the subject.

For me, I like to make games because I never want to grow up. As a kid, I always wanted to know how to make games and I wanted to create worlds with whatever I wanted in them. Not only this, but what kid doesn't want to be a wizard? Writing code is as close to wizardry as I can get.

BarchKing
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 05:58:35 AM »

I trap myself inside with a deep desire for green mountains and sky, it is the only place i get glimpses of sanity
cvasquez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 01:29:54 PM »

Because I get to express myself in any level that I want, whether its story drive, artistically driven, etc. It's a medium that
involves fundamentals of art, math, science, without none of that, games wouldn't have happened. Because its in our human nature to play, games keep me in a positive state of mind, they make me excited and want to talk to people about them, and one last thing, because...video games!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:34:52 PM by cvasquez » Logged

Twitter: @3xchris
fascinator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »

I make games because I want provide folks with an outlet for fun and entertainment. If I can empower and make them feel like a badass, while I'm at it, that's a plus.

I also want to make money, but not at the cost of fun and disrespecting my players. Also my two little girls enjoy games so being able to make something they enjoy is awesome too.
Zanenga
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 09:21:01 AM »

The reason that I make games is that I love creating worlds. I also write fiction and I believe that making games is the best way to bring those worlds to life.

I also love games in general of course, but that is my main reason.

Ohh, ohhh and I love the idea of making people have fun or get excited or emotional with my games.

Hey! I'm a game designer/programmer/writer, and I like to make games. Smiley

@LucasZanenga Facebook
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »

fez

quisseh
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »

If you play enough video games, at one point or another you'll come up with a game idea that hasn't been done before. Then you realize you need to make it yourself.

Also, making games makes me feel like my code can come alive, invoke feelings, and convey meaning. Something like sorcery. Smiley
Snail_Man
Level 0

It's Snail_Man

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »

I don't really know. I suppose I just want to make stuff that makes people think. Plus it's a lot of fun.

Do it
Then do it right
Then do it well
level20wizard
Level 0

Don't do memes

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2014, 12:54:25 AM »

They are a creative outlet for everything you can possibly be good at - After learning some programming, you can express yourself through things you love to do. You can make games based off of your interest in history, or write an entire epic back-story to base your game off of, or express an idea through art. This means that there are no limits to games you can make - A game you make will be a game that only you could make. For me, I love to create worlds and have a strange place that I built from the ground up to think about while away from it. I like the thought that some day people will know about this place.

Also, its amazing to think of what games have become in 60 years, and what they can become in another 60.
UNiCOMICS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 01:10:52 PM »

to create interesting stories and game play is why I want to create games my only problem is I cant programme but I can do arts
Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »

As a programmer I always liked the technical challenges, specifically building engines etc. After a decade in business software development, I realized game development was a great creative outlet I was missing. I decided to get back into it, but use existing engines and focus more on the creative sides.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic