Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:13:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat do you think of "Tower Defense"? Any alternatives for the phrase?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What do you think of "Tower Defense"? Any alternatives for the phrase?  (Read 1477 times)
lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »

I'm working on a game right now that we're were getting the word out for. We used to call it a Metroidvania with Tower Defense combat. But we're concerned that the words "Tower Defense" might turn off some gamers. The problem is, when we get it in front of people, a lot of people respond positively to Metroidvania, but back away when we say Tower Defense. They say it has a "casual game" connotation and people don't want to touch it. Is this true for you?

Also... we're thinking of rebranding. What do you think a good alternative might be? We were thinking of calling it:
1) Tactical Metroidvania
2) Tactical Action/Adventure
3) Metroidvania with strategy combat

If you want to see what I'm talking about, my devlog is here for Aegis Defenders. The website is in my signature.
And here are the gifs that kind of hint to the game play:

There are two characters you must control by switching back and forth. One is a builder, and the other is a hunter. One is defensive, the other offensive. Parts of the game are exploratory, and parts of the game feel more like an arena where you must protect from both sides of the screen (much like tower defense! but...we're unsure about using that term now.)

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »

from what i understand from your post, is the game have me station at the place and defend for something? if so, it's tower defense, where you defense something like a building or portal. but if the game have me defend for myself by building the tower around me, while in the same time, i can control someone to fight the hoard, then i think it's arena. i guess defense arena/arena defense will be what i will call it for(for the part where you build tower and defence). metroidvania doesn't really fit the term if exploring doesn't include combat or backtracking to find something that's previously unreachable, among many thing. maybe just can the metroidvania and instead just call it exploration to prevent confusion.

lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »

from what i understand from your post, is the game have me station at the place and defend for something? if so, it's tower defense, where you defense something like a building or portal. but if the game have me defend for myself by building the tower around me, while in the same time, i can control someone to fight the hoard, then i think it's arena. i guess defense arena/arena defense will be what i will call it for(for the part where you build tower and defence).

Oh! The distinction makes a lot of sense! Thank you. I think that defense arena is a better description of what our combat feels like! You will defend your position, whether that be the center, one side, moving objects, etc, depending on the level.

metroidvania doesn't really fit the term if exploring doesn't include combat or backtracking to find something that's previously unreachable, among many thing. maybe just can the metroidvania and instead just call it exploration to prevent confusion.

Good point! We do have backtracking within the storyline of the game, and many areas of the game where the gamplay feels more traditional metroidvania than defensive arena. It's true, we'll have to reveal more of the game to call it metroidvania.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:54:29 PM »

Just call your towers "turrets" and feel safe in the common type of weapon found in games, like for example Heimerdinger in League of Legends also places TURRETS and it's not scaring anyone off.

But if I were you I just wouldn't label it, your images say more than a thousand words.

MiNTO
Level 0

Grasp My Sword

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:01:41 AM »

Game Looks Awesome!  Beer!

You might want to ask people who have tried your game out. There probably in a better position than us to tell you what its like.

Tower Defence is a bit tricky as it can come out wrong but then again it might suite for your target audience. You can always go with defence or turret instead but it might not get what the game is to the readers.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:55:16 AM »

shouldn't this go in the business subforum

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:03:18 AM »

turret defense is actually the earlier term. the first 'tower defense' game was actually called 'turret defense', and was a custom level made for starcraft 1. it was partly inspired by rampart, an earlier nes/arcade game involving cannons, but rampart itself is not a tower/turret defense game. this custom sc1 level was cloned and modified, creating a genre of custom levels

after wc3 was released, those levels were copied, and wc3 uses towers rather than turrets (because it's medieval rather than futuristic). tower defense became more common than turret defense as a term for that type of gameplay, not because wc3 was more popular than sc1, but simply because tower is an easier term to remember how to spell than turret (a lot of people misspell it as turrent, for example); it's a more familiar word

later on, they were extended into flash games. sometimes you were a lone guy defending a base rather than someone placing towers/turrets to defend it. in such cases, 'defense game' was the genre name, cutting out the necessity of a 'tower' in it at all. if your game doesn't use stationary towers or turrets, you can always call it a defense game

if you're going for name recognition though, use tower defense, it's the most recognizable. 'tower defense metroidvania' sounds fine to me too, although keep in mind that the term 'metroidvania' is only recognizable among indie game developers and a certain hardcore gamer demographic. the vast majority of gamers have never heard the term 'metroidvania', and in fact that term originated on these forums

lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »

Just call your towers "turrets" and feel safe in the common type of weapon found in games, like for example Heimerdinger in League of Legends also places TURRETS and it's not scaring anyone off.

But if I were you I just wouldn't label it, your images say more than a thousand words.

We do call those stationary shooting objects turrets-- but the builder/engineer character can build those around the area he must defend, and they are not the point of defense in and of themselves.
Also, I agree with you that I should let the images speak is probably better than me talking about it-- thanks for the input! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Game Looks Awesome!  Beer!

You might want to ask people who have tried your game out. There probably in a better position than us to tell you what its like.

Right! Good point.  Beer!
If anyone would like to try a demo, please pm me for access. My team doesn't want me to publicize the demo yet!

shouldn't this go in the business subforum

Ohh sorry I am relatively new  Embarrassed
Yes, I see that that the business forum is a better fit!
I did have a more general question that was more like "Do people really just dislike Tower Defense or is it just my personal experience?"
Which kind of follows to "If that is true, should I say something different about my game?"

Next time I'll post in the business forum! Thanks for the tip.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

turret defense is actually the earlier term. the first 'tower defense' game was actually called 'turret defense', and was a custom level made for starcraft 1. it was partly inspired by rampart, an earlier nes/arcade game involving cannons, but rampart itself is not a tower/turret defense game. this custom sc1 level was cloned and modified, creating a genre of custom levels

after wc3 was released, those levels were copied, and wc3 uses towers rather than turrets (because it's medieval rather than futuristic). tower defense became more common than turret defense as a term for that type of gameplay, not because wc3 was more popular than sc1, but simply because tower is an easier term to remember how to spell than turret (a lot of people misspell it as turrent, for example); it's a more familiar word

later on, they were extended into flash games. sometimes you were a lone guy defending a base rather than someone placing towers/turrets to defend it. in such cases, 'defense game' was the genre name, cutting out the necessity of a 'tower' in it at all. if your game doesn't use stationary towers or turrets, you can always call it a defense game

if you're going for name recognition though, use tower defense, it's the most recognizable. 'tower defense metroidvania' sounds fine to me too, although keep in mind that the term 'metroidvania' is only recognizable among indie game developers and a certain hardcore gamer demographic. the vast majority of gamers have never heard the term 'metroidvania', and in fact that term originated on these forums

!!! This explains a lot!  Hand Thumbs Up Right I'm glad we went for a name change-- We called it Aegis, then we went with Aegis Defenders, which doesn't specifically say "Tower Defense" but hopefully implies a defense game in general. We have multiple types of defense scenarios, many of which involve defending a target--but more akin to survival situation. As the game progresses, you'll need to defend moving targets, targets that have dynamic abilities like activating doors/weapons, and even targets that don't want to be protected. We were kind of thinking of coining a new term. What do you think about coining the new term, "Tactical Metroidvania"? Does that imply something that the game is not?

Again, I hear the point that it's hard to explain the game without playing it, so if any of you want to try it out I'll pm you the web address and password. 

gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:25:05 AM »

I don't think very many people have a problem with games labelled as tower defense.  As ஒழுக்கின்மை said above, it's metroidvania that might be a problem.  Especially since the name gives no clue as to what it's like unless you've played metroid/castlevania games.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »

even if you've played a ton of castlevania games the -vania part tells you nothing, as it's inherited only from one specific branch of castlevania games (I'm pretty sure "metroidvania", contrary to what paul says, was first used as a nickname for symphony of the night, which is basically a castlevania themed metroid game)

(It's terrible as a genre name please never use it)

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
coppolaemilio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »

I would not call it tower defence if it's not like those starcraft/warcraft/flashgames maps.
If you do, a lot of people will think about those kind of games and they will find is not what they were looking for.
On the other hand, if you find a word that describe the genre of your game, do use it!
Don't be greedy and try to generalize, since (in my experience) is better to directly aim at your target than aim at everybody.

I hope this makes sense  Who, Me?

Sleeping at Evelend
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »

you can also try 'tower defense platformer' -- that might work better than tower defense metroidvania

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 02:28:30 AM »

(It's terrible as a genre name please never use it)
Yeah, it's pretty terrible genre name. It's long and confusing, also a mix of Metroid and Castlevania just can't justify the thing. just which castlevania you're refering to.

Of course it still usable consider you don't mix in other genre with very long name, and were targeting that exact audience.

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »

Avoid saying the words "tower" or "tower defense"
It's a suicidal term that has press groaning before they even look at the game.

I'd call it an

"Action Defense Game"

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »

'platformer with tower defense elements'

lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 02:33:32 PM »

Thanks for your advice everyone! I'll go over this with my team and see what we decide on our final Kickstarter copy.

Avoid saying the words "tower" or "tower defense"
It's a suicidal term that has press groaning before they even look at the game.

I'd call it an

"Action Defense Game"

Yes...people did not receive "tower defense" well.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic