Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:22:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Feed back on an ocean tile
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feed back on an ocean tile  (Read 1158 times)
cannedpixel
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:42 AM »

Hallo Smiley

I'm new in the pixel art world and would like some feedback on my ocean tile for a game project.

What do you guys think? Any ideas on how to make it better?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:05:16 AM by cannedpixel » Logged
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »

Looks pretty cool.

First thing is i would put some easing on that tweening though. The hard snap back and forwards ruins the illusion.

cannedpixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:28:11 AM »

like this? :D
Cranky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:46:33 AM »

I think it would look better if the water flowed only in one direction instead of going back and forth.

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:03:14 AM »

Maybe if you ease off on the shadows? To me, they make it look like webs floating above a blue background. I'm not sure what effect you're going for, but I don't think either

or foam foam cause shadows like that...and I don't think you get much foam out at sea until the wind is fairly high (cf. the Beaufort scale).

Also I'd second Cranky's suggestion of having them go in one direction, if you can. Waves are formed by wind (unless you're in a bathtub or something) so they wouldn't be going back and forth...

Or not. I like art, even (especially?) highly stylized art, to respect the underlying realism and structure. I think it adds that certain something. But I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea.
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »

Those aren't caustics, they're clearly supposed to be white caps. As such I think you should make them less blue and more white. It seems you are going for a stylized ocean like Wind Waker? Hell, just copy Wind Waker.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
cannedpixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:43:56 AM »

Thanks a lot Smiley the back and forth motion was supposed to be a sloshing water effect, but I can see the motion is too big. Our game is on an island surrounded by water so I thought the one direction flow might look weird?

I think Aldo is right about that I should make the white caps more white. The inspiration is clearly from wind waker but I wanted to be a little less stylised and make the ocean a bit darker.

Right now I'm working on less white caps and a calmer motion. Smiley
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »

Thanks a lot Smiley the back and forth motion was supposed to be a sloshing water effect, but I can see the motion is too big. Our game is on an island surrounded by water so I thought the one direction flow might look weird?

Wind.

Ultimately though making it flow in one direction would look more natural even if it wouldn't be more realistic at all. What seems to make sense and reality usually don't match up.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic