Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:06:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTrake
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trake  (Read 1256 times)
Eldrad
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:54 AM »

Hello everyone!

I'm here to let you discover the first game that I publish on the internet. (Because in reality this is my second game).

So to explain the game, it's a mixture (at least in my mind) between a snake and a armagetron. The name itself comes from (Tron + Snake = Trake). This game has been developed to be played with friends on a single keyboard. You can play alone but there is really no interest. The two main additions are the ability to shoot and sprint. For the rest, you will discover soon enough Wink. Commands to control the different snakes are explained on the homepage of the game

It is currently hosted on "itch.io" and you can play it at: http://jordan-aupetit.itch.io/trake

As regards the technical aspect, it has been realized with the Framework Html5 Phaser JS.

For the future, it has been recommended to me to create a version that would be playable on the internet. It would also be possible to add bots to play alone. I especially awaiting the opinion of the people to decide the result of this project.

Finally, the game has been tested on the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox without any problems.

Do not hesitate to give me your feedback!

Update (08/15/2014)
 - Bots
 - Graphic changes
 - Bug fix
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:42:01 PM by Eldrad » Logged
gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:14:12 AM »

There seems to be a bit of an issue which is that, in singleplayer, shooting your own tail is actually helpful.
Eldrad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »

Yes ^^ you can do it. But the gameplay is only design for the multiplayer but you are right Smiley. I need to add bots to play alone.
waiwha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »

I think that "Trake" is a clever game in terms of the mechanics that you present to players, and I think that it is mostly "Snake" rather than "Tron" (I suppose that's why "Snake" wins with 3/5 letters within "Trake"  Giggle). I appreciate the fact that you kept the graphics clean and minimalist within the game, choosing to concentrate more on polished mechanics instead (good choice). I'd scratch the single player mode (unless you add AI) and keep it just as a local multiplayer game, though, because at this point in single player, it's just Snake really. An enjoyable experience regardless!  Smiley
But here are a few suggestions:
  +scratch the shooting mechanic, and change the control for boosting to what shooting was
  +change the initial spawn locations of players based on how many players are in the game (symmetrical), now they look a bit wonky and on the left side of the screen (except for four players)
  +clean up the look of the menu system some (more in the vain of the assets within the game)

Good luck, and nice work thus far!  Toast Left

~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />*****waiwha*****<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eldrad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »

In fact, i spoke about Tron because at the start i wanted to make a Tron-like rather than a Snake-like.
There is not much to do it alone ^^.
About the shooting mechanic, you will see that it's very important in multiplayer rather than the sprint is difficult to use and most of the time we die due to the sprint.
You are right about the spawn ! It will be better with symmetrical position Smiley. (i will change that !)
And I don't understand your last remark about the menu, can you explain it again ? Smiley

Thanks for yours feedbacks !
waiwha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »

As far as the shooting is concerned, I've played a little bit more with it in multiplayer and I see the value of it w/r/t removing bits of other players' bodies (so I think it is good to leave it in for sure). That being said, I don't think that the bullets should be active for as long as they currently are. With the long amount of time that they stay on screen combined with the ability of players to shoot up until they only have two body pieces left, they are almost always bound to get a hit on another player (which makes shooting less about skill and more about spamming at variable heights on screen  Hand Any Key). So you may want to play around with that some  Wink.
What I was saying with the menu system is that I don't think it fits very well with the minimalist graphics of the game itself, so I'd say play around with the look of the buttons + title font to create something more similar in feel to the game itself (perhaps the title font as well as the buttons could be entirely comprised of the body pieces of the snake (trake?) characters).  Shrug 

Eldrad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »

I'm glad you take more time to play my game Smiley. I will correct the life time of bullets. And it's a very good idea for the menu system ! Thanks a lot !
I didn't take much time to design this menu system, so all ideas are welcome and yours is great!
When I have time I will try to do something in this style.

Thanks again for all these comments, I hope you're having fun though Wink.
waiwha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »

fun fasho, man.  Hand Joystick

Eldrad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »

Hello everyone!

I just released an update of the game that you can find here: http://jordan-aupetit.itch.io/trake

Now we can play against the computer. If you play alone, you will face three other snakes. Their intelligence is not exceptional, but it helps to understand how the game works and also to train to beat his friends. As I said before, the game is still meant to be played with friends rather than alone. The graphics have also been changed and moves away a little of the original minimalism.

I'm waiting for your feedback on these additions.

Continue playing!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic