Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:47:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHoney Rose: UFE (OUT NOW!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Honey Rose: UFE (OUT NOW!)  (Read 38842 times)
TunaUppercut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »

Its great to see you create a devlog for Honey Rose. Game looks awesome as always.
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 10:43:09 AM »

Thanks a lot :-D

I definitely hope this log will be of use - for me, to go back to after all is said and done, to see if/where mistakes were made and learn from them, and see how things developed and ideas eventually worked or not - and for others, to follow what happens, get ideas for their own projects, give feedback, hopefully want to play the game :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »

Done with the gym's main training options, so I'm moving on to Coach's gym and its specific set of options.
The "training" option, while working differently from the downtown gym one, will probably allow me to reuse parts of the event scripting, so I'm not too worried about that. The "talk" option, however, means I need to dive deeper into exactly what happens on each day of the calendar, since Coach's dialog is meant to reference upcoming and past events... so that's what I'm working on now, meaning a lot of paper covered with strange and arcane pencil markings (or rather, scribblings).
As for the "check noticeboard" option, it will probably be simpler to script, but it's going to require another background, so I'll get to that later.

Also : after some discussion about the "tired" animation with the folks over at IndieGAF, I've updated it to this :

That's definitely an improvement in my eyes, so I'm very glad for that kind of feedback and criticism! So if you've got things to say over here as well, don't hesitate!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 09:11:37 AM »

For those interested, here are some shots of the C2 editor as it looks like when I'm editing events and scripting dialog, and dialog triggers!

I'm using a dialog system inspired by the CSV text dialog tutorial available for Construct 2, but I actually couldn't use CSV as I'm using many special characters in dialog that didn't translate right through CSV - or at least, not in a way I could figure out, and I wanted to make the project move along :-D So I reworked the whole thing to have only the elements I need, and added some extra custom fonctions for new functionality, mainly related to the dialog and action choices, pictured below.

As it stands, during a dialog, I can call a generic "choice" function to display a set number of choices, all leading to individually defined events/event pools. And then, all that remains is to script said events, which is shown above. And when all is said and done, this leads to this :

Or even this when I make mistakes, since Coach isn't actually supposed to follow you back to your home when you're done training. Talk about extensive coaching!

Thankfully these sort of silly mistakes are very easy to fix, assuming I find the correct event that caused to problem in the first place :-D

All in all, at first C2 didn't appear like the best choice for a VN game, but with enough pushing and pulling, I suppose you can make anything work. Still, if I ever do another one, I'll probably try out a more dialog dedicated engine first!

Back to dialog writing/event scripting, since there are many, many, many more to go!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »

Another big chunk of dialog/events down : the training with Coach. There's also a noticeboard on which you can check "boasts", which are basically hints for special conditions you can try to complete during each match. Every difficulty has a different set of conditions, too!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 02:05:22 AM »

Reached a milestone! The visual novel segment is now main-features complete, as in every standard choice does something and all events lead to each other correctly, allowing for a complete game loop.
Some pretty big elements are still missing, of course, such as endgame states (both win and fail states), the story beats aren't linked to the rest either and most of the random events have no dialog/stat changes yet, rendering them mostly meaningless for now, but that's going to be a pretty simple matter compared to everything that came before.

So in short: I'm done with the main skeletal structure of the game, and I'm now starting on the muscle mass!

First order of business will be to complete some of the events that don't do much yet, such as the calendar in Honey's Room that's supposed to allow the player to check upcoming important events, and add stat variance to random events, in addition to doing the backgrounds that are still missing. I'll add some sound effects in there at some point since it's a pretty big thing missing.

How do you manage your sound effects, by the way? Got some good royalty free sources, do you record your own, do you modify existing ones you find...? I've got some ideas, but I'd be glad to have some input on that as well!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »

(click to enlarge and read all the stuff in there)

Big update for today, with a sort of walkthrough/example of what can happen during the first few days, as they are, meaning they lack many of the bells and whistles I have in mind, but they're mostly functional!

Today I've been focusing on the tests, and their result, meaning the VN segment now has fail states, and end game states. You still need to be able to win the game, though, so I'm going to get right on that!

LightEnt
Level 1

Power to the action-platformer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 09:36:40 AM »

God the art and animation is so sexy.

Also Construct 2 representtt

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 09:39:25 AM »

Hahaha, thanks! And yeah, Construct 2 FTW!
I like how your project looks as well (the grass movement! seriously, that looks great), and to be honest, when I'm done with Honey, I'm considering moving on to an action platformer as well, so I'm going to study how well you do with C2 and possibly ask for tips when the time comes :-D

LightEnt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »

I like how your project looks as well (the grass movement! seriously, that looks great), and to be honest, when I'm done with Honey, I'm considering moving on to an action platformer as well, so I'm going to study how well you do with C2 and possibly ask for tips when the time comes :-D

eeeee yeah im actually using CClassic, not sure if C2 could run my game. But I do love the program nonetheless, im sure in the future it's only going to get stronger.

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 05:40:43 AM »

eeeee yeah im actually using CClassic, not sure if C2 could run my game. But I do love the program nonetheless, im sure in the future it's only going to get stronger.

I'm not really familiar with the differences between CClassic and C2, to be honest! Are there big stuff missing in C2? I haven't really pushed my investigation in the matter, but I understand it's open source now, so I imagine there are plugins to do things that might be unavailable for C2? Would you recommend using CClassic over C2?

In other news, I've been trying to get a site online for Honey... and here's the first draft of it!
http://pehesse.fr/blog/
It's still very much a WIP of course, as I'm even less knowledgeable about site making than..other things, but I intend to make it a comfy home for all things Honey in the future :-D

LightEnt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »

I'm not really familiar with the differences between CClassic and C2, to be honest! Are there big stuff missing in C2? I haven't really pushed my investigation in the matter, but I understand it's open source now, so I imagine there are plugins to do things that might be unavailable for C2? Would you recommend using CClassic over C2?

In other news, I've been trying to get a site online for Honey... and here's the first draft of it!
It's still very much a WIP of course, as I'm even less knowledgeable about site making than..other things, but I intend to make it a comfy home for all things Honey in the future :-D

The website looks nice and simple, I need something like that for my project really.

As for C2 vs CC, classic is just a bit stronger. It has things like pixel shaders and mesh deformation, which is how i did the grass in my game. You can do alot of neat tricks with CClassic. The problem is that it's no longer supported, and can be really buggy at times. C2 is like using an improved, non-buggy, sexier version of CC, except it's HTML5 based, so it's not as powerful, and things like exporting are a bit different.

I'd say, as long as you aren't doing anything that requires lots of consistent heavy CPU use, C2 would be better in nearly every regard. CC can accomplish more ambitious graphical feats and packs more power, but its lack of support and editor bugs can be annoying. Their interfaces are nearly identical though.

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »

The website looks nice and simple, I need something like that for my project really.

As for C2 vs CC, classic is just a bit stronger. It has things like pixel shaders and mesh deformation, which is how i did the grass in my game. You can do alot of neat tricks with CClassic. The problem is that it's no longer supported, and can be really buggy at times. C2 is like using an improved, non-buggy, sexier version of CC, except it's HTML5 based, so it's not as powerful, and things like exporting are a bit different.

I'd say, as long as you aren't doing anything that requires lots of consistent heavy CPU use, C2 would be better in nearly every regard. CC can accomplish more ambitious graphical feats and packs more power, but its lack of support and editor bugs can be annoying. Their interfaces are nearly identical though.

I see! I have to say, I didn't know/expect that about CC. Maybe I'll need to take a closer look at it at some point? Either way, thanks a lot for all that info :-)

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »

This week’s background are now in their correct places in the game. Also, I’ve been adding more checks to the end game situations – if I’m not mistaken, everything should now be covered, from the fail states related to school tests, to the fail states related to school warnings and scoldings, to the game overs when Honey’s suspicion prematurely shoots through the roof… and finally, the ending states! Those rely on a battery of checks, including in no particular order :

-when you complete the game (there are actually several different points/days you can complete the game and it should lead to (slightly?) different outcomes, if only in just passing references)

-your reputation at this point in the game

-the suspicion others have of you (or, rather, Honey) being, well… Honey

-your difficulty setting (oh yeah)

Now, the only thing left is to write said endings! But that’s definitely NOT going to be for the test prototype or I’ll have to push back the deadline another two months. And speaking of the prototype, what’s still missing? If I refer to my list, here’s what :

-the shopping street by day background

-the shopping street by night background

-the principal’s office background

-the locker room background

-the school tracks background

-the empty official ring background

-the official ring with a match happening background (we’ll do just the little sun one for the proto, methinks, but we’ll need one for Carrion Wind and one for Big Blue as well)

-add some more dialog variance to the Honey coming home at night event

-possibly rework the training events so they display otherwise (right now they’re on autoskip and I think I’d rather have them be on player skip, but that’s going to be a bit of heavy lifting)

-complete the “check self” option in Honey’s Room to use the correct stats thresholds…

…and that’s basically it for the first prototype! (Of course, there are many, many other things after that, but for a first test, this’ll do). So now you can do the countdown with me whenever something from this list gets checked off!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »

It’s been a pretty big day (few days, actually), even though I don’t have much to show it off with. I’ve started a first round of testing (or rather: external debugging), and have done a first wide pass of changes and fixes based on feedback. Among those changes :

- I’ve added a skip feature for every scene introduction : players can now mash their way through the game without being held up (or at least, not as frequently)!

- I’ve disabled the current camera panning in Honey’s room for now, until I can figure out a way to make it more responsive. For now it just lags a bit too much and it’s a pain to navigate. If it doesn’t end up working properly, I’ll rework the idea of panning the room in another way.

- cleaned a lot of the general text presentation and coherency, especially for the placeholder random events. Linked some events that did nothing, too, and clarified some of the stuff that happened in the background that’s still useful to know, like why you’re warped to honey’s room when you ask to practice with coach (for now).

- reworked the calendar and diary closeups to include some more information to help you schedule your days and weeks better.

- changed the color of a status bar icon to alter its meaning a bit. You’ll know what I mean when you see it, testers! (if you’ve seen the previous version, of course)

- added more dialog variance. We're still going to need some more though. I suspect I'll be doing dialog variance for quite a while still.

All in all, it brings me to one single important question:

This current prototype is meant to showcase the daily routine and test the different options/have a first look at how the VN segment behaves (no fighting segment for this round), even though there is very little in the way of actual plot events (read: none). Is that still something some of you would be interested to try out, or does that sound too early still to be worth a look? (I'll still do testing with some dedicated testers ready to face the bugs, I'm just wondering if it's interesting as well to release the prototype to a wider audience at this stage).

If you're interested, do tell!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 05:39:56 AM »

Video saturday!

Here’s a showcase video of the contents of the VN prototype! The prototype itself has been sent to the testers and I’ll iterate thanks to their feedback. I’m a bit disappointed by the quality of the video on YT, as the video file is noticeably better - anyone has any idea of what happened there?

Also, are you interested in testing out the prototype? I'm looking for testers ready to hunt bugs, who don't fear placeholders and starting over in the face of errors, and are willing to complete a (small) feedback form! If that applies to you, then I've got just the alpha for you to test, so send me a message!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:59:41 AM by Pehesse » Logged

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »

I'm fixing the prototype as testers discover bugs and have feature feedback! Here's the latest changelog:

v 0.2.2

tweaked an issue with the title music audio balance. Not completely fixed, but should not be a problem for now.
    tweaked an issue when mashing the confirmation button very fast while choosing an option in a multiple choice selection. Possibly not fixed, but the timing window should be a lot stricter and the issue a lot less reproductible.
    massive increase in game speed: each scene transition has been shortened to less than 2 seconds, from 4 previously. May cause issues with scene intro skipping? Need to test further.
    corrected typos on the displayed date for many incorrect dates (all thursdays, and one lone wednesday)
    added a new choice prompt on test days at school, to confirm that the player intends to skip the test if an option other than “go to class” is selected
    added an option to hide the suit back home before sneaking out at night if the suit is in transit
    rephrased several sentences to make their intended meaning clearer: for instance, Honey’s “I just want to talk” to Coach is now “Let’s discuss something first” to imply that this choice will not close the training option afterwards
    fixed an issue where loading the game using honey’s diary while no savegame was present on slot 1 softlocked the game
    added a prompt on the splash screen to inform the player on how to proceed, and which version of the game is currently used
    added a feature on the introduction dialog at game start: Honey’s dialog is now colored differently when speaking out loud. Feedback wanted!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 09:28:57 AM »

This is coming along so well! I adore the bass line in the track that is playing over the VN gameplay! The whole feel of the transitions is wonderfully satisfying too!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »

Thanks a lot! Yeah, the music by Morusque adds a lot to the game, and I can't wait for new tracks :-D It's such an integral and awesome part of the experience. I can't thank him enough :-D
Glad you like how the game look in motion, too - and it's even better now that the transitions are faster!
Would you be interested in trying out the prototype for yourself?

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »

Back to 2D animation for the fighting segment!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic