Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:21:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Screen \ Pixel & Sprite resolution
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Screen \ Pixel & Sprite resolution  (Read 1027 times)
jamsus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm working with GM Studio on relatively small sprites (20x20).

Originally they were 10x10, then i "enlarged" with no smoothing at all to obtain a 20x20 pixel sprite with the possibility to define little details (like a little led in 1x1 size).

Then, after this, i adjusted the view of the room to create a 3x "magnification" on each pixel, but i gain some "loss" sometimes.

Then i asked myself.

Is better to use a view that "amplify" all your pixels, or is better to work with bigger pixels?

Is a bad idea mix those two?

Thank you, don't know it this was an artistic doubt or a technical one...  Toast Right Toast Left
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »

Amplify your sprites ingame, and if you enlarge a 10x10 sprite to 20x20, round out the corners so that the sprite is actually 20x20... otherwise you'll have a conflicting pixel resolution, which doesn't look good.

Now, if you're getting fuzziness from stretching the screen too much (I don't know if this is a problem in Studio or not), consider using a surface to keep the pixels clear-cut.

jamsus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

So you suggest to keep everything at "natural size" and then stretch with the views, okay!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:49:57 AM »

Stretching in studio is fine as long as you have "Interpolate colors between pixels" turned off. I can see mixing 2x sprites and 1.5x screen to get 3x total causing problems though; don't do that.

Don't add little details to your enlarged sprites. (Assuming you are enlarging everything.) If your game is at 2x resolution don't add any 1x resolution details. Mixing pixel resolutions usually looks bad.
jamsus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »

I found some problems\glitch on game maker scaling method.

I'm trying to use the scale factor of application surface, but i'm missing something about making the surface follow the player.

Thank you for replies, anyway Smiley
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »

Why isn't you player drawn to the same surface as everything else?  Huh?

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
jamsus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »

It is, but what i do is stop the application_surface drawing itself,
and i redraw it at 3x size, but is not "centered" on the player, as view functionalities do.  Shrug
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »

Use a non-scaled view and set view_surface_id[0] to a surface. Then you can do whatever you want with that surface.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic