Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:08:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIn The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: In The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!  (Read 59783 times)
nt
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »

In the Shadows is a 2D Platformer/Aventure game with puzzles involving shadow creatures, and other things, interaction with lights and environments. The creatures made of shadow get scared of light and turn into different object that you use to progress in the levels. There is a bunch of different environments to discover.

[/url]

In The Shadows is now out on Steam and GOG!

Get it on Steam!
Get it on GOG.com!

In The Shadows is a puzzle platformer where shadow monsters lurk in the night. You use light to scare them away and force them to transform into different objects you can use to figure your way out.

I take a lot of inspiration for the classic SMB2, in some gameplay elements and visual cues. The game use voxels for the environements that are relit in real time in 3D.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:56:13 PM by nt » Logged

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »

Looks super nice, although when the player goes up ladders it looks like he has a small Vlambeeresque face on the back of his head. Will there be reasons for the player to turn out the lights?
Bones
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »

I enjoyed SMB2 as well.
Love the scientist/astronaut character you've got.
The the level design has an Earthbound vibe which is great.

Also like the shadow creature, would definitely like to see their existing aniamtions smoothed out even more.
Silhouettes are fun to animate get right in there. <3

Good luck with the project.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »

The astronaut looks great ! So does the rest of the art and the peculiar monster animations.  The character's shadow when he is in light is a particularly nice detail !

Looking forward to more updates.

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »

Looks nice art wise. But that's all I can say because similar shadow/light mechanics have been used before. Hoping to see some cool gameplay elements.

Also, why is the guy an astronaut? Does the place not have oxygen?  Smiley
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »

Everything looks super nice! I really like the colors you used for the environment  Smiley
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:54:01 AM »

This looks absolutely wonderful! I adore that swim animation. He really seems to be weighed down by the suit.

Focal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

I really like the artistic approach. The only think I'd alter is when he jumps into the water he stops right at his buoyancy equilibrium. It would look way better if he first went below the surface and then up. Right now it's like he's jumping onto an invisible floor in the water. Really cool though.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »

Biutiful art. I dig the main character.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »

Some experiments with weather.

Love that swimming animation and expression!

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »

I like the look of it; especially dat rain. The concept should result in plenty of interesting puzzles, as well.
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »

I've always been fan of shadow creatures since I played Ico.
Game like Kingdom Heat and movie like Attack the Block gave also another view on dark creatures.

You graphics look amazing for now.

I reeeeeealy expect to seen more on this new twist on the theme  Grin

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:50 AM »

This looks very nice Sir!

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 05:07:26 AM »

Thanks for all the comments, it feels good to finally show some of this stuff and start a devlog, I got excited and had to answer some of the questions :

Looks super nice, although when the player goes up ladders it looks like he has a small Vlambeeresque face on the back of his head. Will there be reasons for the player to turn out the lights?

Thanks! Other people pointed out the face thingy too, I'm planning on redoing this climb animation. Other animation sequence are missing too, like the transition from ladder to the ledge and stuff like that.  The reason to turn on the light will be to change the monsters to objects that have different mechanic at the right time/place, there will be combination of mechanics also. The gif is really a simple example, might be too simple, I will post more soon.

Also like the shadow creature, would definitely like to see their existing aniamtions smoothed out even more.
Silhouettes are fun to animate get right in there. <3

Yes Id like the animation to be smooth, but with low frame rate, I'm kinda new at doing pixel art animation, so I'm doing the simple stuff first, then plan on revisiting the one I think are less good later.

The character's shadow when he is in light is a particularly nice detail !

Thanks! The environment is actually optimized voxels, so the lighting and shadows in the scene is all real time, I'm planning to do some levels with the realtime lighting interaction.

Looks nice art wise. But that's all I can say because similar shadow/light mechanics have been used before. Hoping to see some cool gameplay elements.
Also, why is the guy an astronaut? Does the place not have oxygen?  Smiley

Thanks! I have some fun idea for mechanics/puzzle, but I'm not really trying to make something never seen before. This being my first project, I'm trying to do something simple and fun, with nice visual.  About the astronaut suit, it is part of the story, the character will change suits. Think of it like when kids like to dress up.

I really like the artistic approach. The only think I'd alter is when he jumps into the water he stops right at his buoyancy equilibrium. It would look way better if he first went below the surface and then up. Right now it's like he's jumping onto an invisible floor in the water. Really cool though.

You'r right, the player is actually just colliding right under the water. Making him go below first would be nicer.

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »

This week I have been testing some design elements for the engine rooms in a giant boat

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:06:32 AM by nt » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »

i like the

walk cycle
TautNerve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »

I remember an early screenshot of this, still looking very good

Let's tweet together:
@TautNerve
Play my games here:
Itch.io page
Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »

I think the background in that ship could benefit from some parallax scrolling, but it's looking good! The whole game looks very nice and intriguing already.

Definitely following Smiley

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »

A diving suit for the water based levels?

I also tried to do out of focus for the foreground yesterday, I think It looks pretty nice, it gives more depth to the whole thing I think.

I tested out the diving suit in it, but I think it would be better suited underwater, and just remove the helmet when out of the water.

Thinkr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »

Love the artwork. Seems like you'll be able to get a bunch of different consequences from the shadow monster mechanic. Look forward to seeing more!

I make stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic