Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:01:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMighty Retro Zero ( Working on the lab theme - 11 April)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Mighty Retro Zero ( Working on the lab theme - 11 April)  (Read 18101 times)
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2014, 01:49:12 AM »

I played the game and I really love the art style. 2 things jumped out at me: Wall jumping felt a little strange to control, I just couldn't get the hang of it. At the start it was because I was used to the style of wall jumping when you push the direction of the wall and then hit the jump button. I soon taught myself not to do that but it still didn't seem like I was entirely in control and couldn't jump with precision like other platformers. 2: I got stuck at the spikes where you were meant to roll under for ages because I couldn't work out how to get under them. I thought "Maybe I can crawl" but there was no response when I hit the down key and gave up. I worked it out eventually though after trying to find other routes of getting around. Maybe some visual feedback to show "Yes the down key is something you can use".
Thanks for releasing an Alpha to play, it was a lot of fun!

matriax
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 01:55:06 AM »

I uploaded a new version with the next(for windows):

Alpha 0.11.1 (4 Nov)
------------------------

- Problem fuel first-second inca level solved
- Leader bug in challenge level solved
- Unkilleable eye bug solved (Better enemy managing life)
- New firing issues solved
- Teleported bugs when overlaping solved (Horizontal and verticals)
- Added texts to the first level to learn the basis

1. To wall jumping you no need to press any direction only jump in the air neaar a wall. The player will change the direction automatically.

2. The crawl options was erased, now pressing down+direction(left/right)you can slide from a stop position without a speed decrease.

Point 1 and 2 are now explained in the first level of the inca, also the "Up:climb rope".

You can download again a test: http://kronbits.itch.io/mighty-retro-zero

What you think now? More clear?

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2014, 02:54:07 AM »

1. Yeah I worked it out. Maybe I just feel like I have more control when I push against the wall to jump. I can move towards the wall mid jump and then immediately jump off without releasing a key. I dunno, its just a personal preference thing.
2. I still think visual feedback that the down key is a functioning key would be a good thing. I instinctively press the arrow keys and x,y keys when I start the game to test the controls and receive immediate feedback. All the keys do something immediately besides the down key so I immediately assume I can't use that key. I feel if that was introduced I could play the game without the text instructions.

matriax
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 03:04:41 AM »

1. Yeah I worked it out. Maybe I just feel like I have more control when I push against the wall to jump. I can move towards the wall mid jump and then immediately jump off without releasing a key. I dunno, its just a personal preference thing.
2. I still think visual feedback that the down key is a functioning key would be a good thing. I instinctively press the arrow keys and x,y keys when I start the game to test the controls and receive immediate feedback. All the keys do something immediately besides the down key so I immediately assume I can't use that key. I feel if that was introduced I could play the game without the text instructions.

1. In this case i have very different feedbacks from people. Some people like because they only have to press one key instead two. Also after wall-jump you can press left/right to control the player and stop the direction. I mean, is the same with one key that two keys not? or what you mean?

2. Added! uploaded a new version on that you can "crouch" simply pressing down Wink
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 05:58:59 AM »

1. In this case i have very different feedbacks from people. Some people like because they only have to press one key instead two. Also after wall-jump you can press left/right to control the player and stop the direction. I mean, is the same with one key that two keys not? or what you mean?

2. Added! uploaded a new version on that you can "crouch" simply pressing down Wink

Haha, I'm not even sure. I'm just trying to describe how it feels. For some reason I just feel like I'm in more control with more input. In reality though you are right and you have the same amount of controls with less input. Its just personal preference really.

Awesome! But if that is you idea of 'crouching' please don't join the military hahahah Wink

matriax
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 06:05:09 AM »

Haha, I'm not even sure. I'm just trying to describe how it feels. For some reason I just feel like I'm in more control with more input. In reality though you are right and you have the same amount of controls with less input. Its just personal preference really.

Awesome! But if that is you idea of 'crouching' please don't join the military hahahah Wink

Haha Well, my english sucks obviously XD . I mean that now the player go down and you get the feddback needed so if after that press +Left or +Right you can slide.

Thanks for the feedback! :D
matriax
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 06:47:48 AM »

Well, a new version is uploaded at: http://kronbits.itch.io/mighty-retro-zero

Now the two forms works. With pressing only jump or pressing jump+direction Wink.
lobstersteve
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2014, 04:10:23 AM »

Tried the alpha. It's quite good, i liked the feeling of the shooting Smiley
But regarding the wall-jump, you really should explain how it works in some way!
Basicly my experience was:

-ok, there are two walls that are too high too jump, let's try double jump or a jetpack by pressing jump button again
-nope
-pressing up?
-nope
-climbing walls?
-nope
-walljump maybe?
-trying it out super meat boy style, by pressing against the wall
-nothing
-trying the same things over and over but nothing works.
-maybe i'm missing some power up?
-go to the main menu and look for other levels
-nope, must be that one
-trying everything again
-made a total random walljump
-ok, so walljump is possible
-so how does it work?
-do i have to press jump, while hitting some ledge?
-nope
-figured out after like 2 minutes, that you just have to be near a wall

after that the game was fun Wink the difficulty was very high right away, but that's fine with me.
it was kinda cool, to figure everything out on your own, but at least some hint, drawn on the wall about the controls could be there. it wouldn't be a problem, if you used a "standard" way of walljumping, but you are using controls i've never seen in a game before without explanation.
matriax
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2014, 04:56:43 AM »

Tried the alpha. It's quite good, i liked the feeling of the shooting Smiley
But regarding the wall-jump, you really should explain how it works in some way!
Basicly my experience was:

-ok, there are two walls that are too high too jump, let's try double jump or a jetpack by pressing jump button again
-nope
-pressing up?
-nope
-climbing walls?
-nope
-walljump maybe?
-trying it out super meat boy style, by pressing against the wall
-nothing
-trying the same things over and over but nothing works.
-maybe i'm missing some power up?
-go to the main menu and look for other levels
-nope, must be that one
-trying everything again
-made a total random walljump
-ok, so walljump is possible
-so how does it work?
-do i have to press jump, while hitting some ledge?
-nope
-figured out after like 2 minutes, that you just have to be near a wall

after that the game was fun Wink the difficulty was very high right away, but that's fine with me.
it was kinda cool, to figure everything out on your own, but at least some hint, drawn on the wall about the controls could be there. it wouldn't be a problem, if you used a "standard" way of walljumping, but you are using controls i've never seen in a game before without explanation.

Ehhh ¿What version are you testing?

The actual WIndows alpha looks like this:

I think is very clear. Maybe you played an old alpha or the Mac version? I have to update them

Edit: Now, the mac version aslo is updated with the texts.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:09:41 AM by matriax » Logged
lobstersteve
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »

..the one on gamejolt  Wink
matriax
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »

Ah! Flash version updated! Wink
matriax
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2014, 03:25:00 AM »

Pang! based level revised, using the Inca Theme tiles :D

Youtube video:

Hope you like it!

Actually the last alpha (0.11) is available for Windows, MacOs and Linux, download from itchio:
http://kronbits.itch.io/mighty-retro-zero
pansapiens
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2014, 04:16:52 PM »

Looks great & keen to see where this goes as you flesh it out.

The Linux version (v0.11) on itch.io won't run for me - segfaults immediately (Ubuntu 14.04, 64-bit). The Windows version runs just fine on Linux using Wine though Well, hello there!

I loved the challenge level - always great when what appears impossible turns out to be possible with enough experimentation. The difficultly curve at the start of the first zone was just a little too steep for me - I'd prefer a few more pedestrian encounters to get warmed up before having to negotiate the stuff after the first checkpoint, for instance. But I understand it's early days Smiley
matriax
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »

Looks great & keen to see where this goes as you flesh it out.

The Linux version (v0.11) on itch.io won't run for me - segfaults immediately (Ubuntu 14.04, 64-bit). The Windows version runs just fine on Linux using Wine though Well, hello there!

I loved the challenge level - always great when what appears impossible turns out to be possible with enough experimentation. The difficultly curve at the start of the first zone was just a little too steep for me - I'd prefer a few more pedestrian encounters to get warmed up before having to negotiate the stuff after the first checkpoint, for instance. But I understand it's early days Smiley

The linux version was made with the WIne Wrapper... strange :S

---

Probably this will be the first boss:

matriax
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2014, 11:55:44 AM »

Wasted all the fuel and can't reach a site? No problem! Fuel respawn added!

http://dev.kronbits.com/post/105025771663/wasted-all-the-fuel-and-cant-reach-a-site-no

Hope you like it!
matriax
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2014, 11:28:30 AM »

Level 4 screenshot:

I decreased a bit the dificulty and added various jetpacks after some feedback. I have to try no make the levels harders but i can't! XD . I guess now is enough easy.

Hope you like it!
matriax
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »

Other Level screenshot:

matriax
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2014, 12:33:05 AM »

Level 1 and 2.

Hope you like it!
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »

Nice, bloom effects work well.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2014, 01:18:03 AM »

I've been following this closely on instagram! loving it!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic