Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:55:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingONE SWORD, One-Button Endless Fight-Runner
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ONE SWORD, One-Button Endless Fight-Runner  (Read 952 times)
MyBlueCorners
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »

Hi everyone!

I just finished getting my little game One Sword up on the internet! It looks like this :

It's a one-button game in which you try to run as far as possible without getting eaten by a big scary purple wall. You use sword combat/avoidance to deal with enemies in your way. It's just simple fun stuff! Of course if you're interested, you can prove your skills to everyone else by running really far, fighting strong enemies, and placing high on the leaderboards!

I spent a lot of time tweaking the feel and stickiness of combat (probably too much time) but I think it turned out pretty good!

Not sure what else to say about this, if you have a question or feedback I would be glad to hear it!

SPACE ROAST : Google Play iOS
JayCrafton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »

I really like your game! I feel as though it could really benefit with a catchy tune. I'm a composer and would really like making some music for your game. My soundcloud is www.soundcloud.com/JayCrafton. If you hear something you like, please message me back.

My Music Portfolio: www.soundcloud.com/jaycrafton
MyBlueCorners
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »

Hi JayCrafton,

I haven't really considered adding music until now but I'm open to the idea of it! I will contact you later through email (if that's ok) when I have time.

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »

This game is pretty cool. The sword charge feels realy nice! I wasn't really sure what the purple line was that seemed to hover around me throughout and I don't get how I lossed. For some reason the character looked like a japanese symbol which was pretty cool if it was

vegu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 02:30:43 AM »

The sword charging and successful hitting of enemies feels very satisfying, well done.

I concur that some music would help push this a bit further. Also i think some additional danger indicator as the final wall of death creeps up from behind would help in making this feel more intense (and also help first time players realise that it is indeed a wall of death Wink)

A thing that annoyed me, unrelated to gameplay, was that the app took me out of the app and into chrome to load your website, i think that should be a choice the user should make by clicking something in the menu instead.

cheers,
vegu

JayCrafton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »

Hi JayCrafton,

I haven't really considered adding music until now but I'm open to the idea of it! I will contact you later through email (if that's ok) when I have time.

Yes, that would be great!

My Music Portfolio: www.soundcloud.com/jaycrafton
MyBlueCorners
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!
Based on what you both said I'm going to change the look of the death-wall slightly to make it more obviously dangerous. I'll leave the purple leading line as it is, it's intended to warn you how close the wall is sort of like a health meter.

Also, my game isn't supposed to load my website upon launch, are you sure it wasn't the Google Play game services sign-in? now that I think about it, I'm just going to make it not do that at all anyway until you actually click the 'leaderboards' button.

Angry_Ed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:41:01 PM »

I had a lot of fun with this, although for some reason if I fully charged the sword while trying to play it on Kongregate in Firefox, it seemed to crash the unity player. But it seemed to work fine in Chrome so I'm not quite sure what was up with that.

Also I had a bit of trouble understanding the way the sword charge works, since sometimes I'd get a full charge from holding down the mouse button, and other times it'd only charge partway and then swing. Is there a cooldown on it or is it just related to the character's forward momentum?

Aside from that though I have no real complaints. Easy to pick up but challenging to really master, and I think the minimalist style of sounds and graphics works great, and if you are planning to add music I'd go with something catchy but not overpowering.

I also liked how all the enemies had "weight" to them based on their size so small enemies would go flying when defeated and larger ones would have a more visible arc.
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »

Haha, this game reminded me of when I was a little kid playing the Atari... oh the old days...

You had me playing for quite sometime -- it is fun. But it is missing a touch of... danger I think.

There is no consequence to getting hit or miss hitting, so it doesn't feel as if it matters. As mentioned before, I could just keep running and not bother till I reach some high score. In other words, there is no urgency to kill anything (specially when score is based on distance?).

I didn't hear any music but when the line passed me and I am near the wall, I started hearing music. I'd rather that you have music at all times but make it danger like when the line passes you.

I liked the charging mechanics and the graphics... its simple mechanics... there is nothing to hate really Smiley. Perhaps the only thing I didn't like was at first I didn't know what that line is and I thought I'd day if it passes me but turns out it is when I touch the wall so it was a bit confusing Smiley.

Really good work and good luck with this ^_^

MyBlueCorners
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »

ONESWORD has been updated! JayCrafton and I added some songs into the game.

Based on what everyone's been saying, I've made a change to the big purple wall that ends the game. I've made it so  that it looks unquestionably malicious. This is what it looks like now:

Also I had a bit of trouble understanding the way the sword charge works [...] it just related to the character's forward momentum?

You're close! You can activate a 'power swing' by stopping completely. It doubles your damage and has a special green glow. It's a little hard to understand at first (I made the sword 'reel back' as you slow down to try to help with this), but I think I like it as a thing players have to figure out on their own.

This has been useful feedback, thanks again everyone.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic