Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:10:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D Topology Help - Simple Creature Head
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 3D Topology Help - Simple Creature Head  (Read 1464 times)
Ledi
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a character/creature for a new project (after several years of not using Maya), and I'm stuck on topology for the head. I've stared at this for a long time and know generally where the issues are, but am honestly stumped on how to fix it.

I was hoping that I could get some assistance from some wonderful 3D gurus here.

I've included an FBX of the model as well as some screenshots. The software I'm using is Maya 2015 LT.

The main issues I can see are the loops around the forehead (it's kind of looping the wrong way), eyes and mouth. There's no mouth deformation, the only animation will be the eyes for expression.

I've studied the Polycount face topology wiki page and several different web sites, but while I know the issues, none of my tweaking has been able to work out more elegant solutions.

I'm also willing to start again from scratch if people think the head is a lost cause XD

Thank you for looking at this and hopefully offering ways to fix it!

Ledi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9045k00cqnrgwa/topohelp.fbx

Edit: Added concept - the galah is just one version, the idea is that the base sprite will be accessorised and retextured to adapt to different creatures.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:54:54 PM by Ledi » Logged
RidiculousJohn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »

I see triangles in areas of bending. That can cause some issues. I'm not a Topology kind but I can tell some things are off. That's all I got, sorry.
RidiculousJohn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »

I turned one tri into a quad.

I have no idea what you are trying to reach ultimately as I said I am not topology literate. So humor my attempts.

I will say the faces were far to close together around the eye.
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »

This doc has tons of great information about controlling the topology, check it out:
http://pp.kpnet.fi/3DMe/maxstuff/SUBD_fixed.pdf

As for your model - I'm not sure what the problem is. You have the main "goggles" loop and then the sockets, that should be enough to animate the thing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic