Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:18:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTira : Tail of Ninja - platformer/adventure prototype
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tira : Tail of Ninja - platformer/adventure prototype  (Read 3259 times)
BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »

Tira : Tail of Ninja (fka project TIGRA) is metroidvania-like platformer/adventure game (prototype)
set in painterly fantasy world inhabited by feline anthropomorphic beasts.

download build#358 (~90Mb)

Currently, it looks like this:

Controls are explained as you go, press F1 for toggling on-screen controls help on/off.
I'd strongly recommend using gamepad (preferably, DualShock4 or X360 wired controller);
keyboard will work too.

There are 1 level with mini-boss at the end (disabled all other levels since most people don't go farther than first 1-2).

Desired feedback is for camera/character/controls.
And everything you (don't) like.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:10:27 AM by BLK Dragon » Logged

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it
BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »

new build -- controls improvements, visuals updates, more levels.
(I think I'd better bump this old topic instead of starting new one)

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:42:12 AM »

Ohhh, so this what my character should look like? Now I like the look of the cat :D. WTB it in the game Tongue

Is the new build the one I played two days ago? Or is that an other-other new-new build? XD

BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »

Ohhh, so this what my character should look like? Now I like the look of the cat :D. WTB it in the game Tongue

Yea, character will be cat-like (or rather tiger-like) creature, I just didn't have proper model until this Friday, so 'dummy' model used.

Is the new build the one I played two days ago? Or is that an other-other new-new build? XD
Build-number is displayed in window-title and and at the bottom of the screen;
game folder in zip-archive also has that number in its name -- so you can see what version you're playing.

Have you reached mini-boss?

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »

Build-number is displayed in window-title and and at the bottom of the screen;
game folder in zip-archive also has that number in its name -- so you can see what version you're playing.

Have you reached mini-boss?

Ohh that is something I didn't notice or rather... haven't been paying attention to. As for the mini boss... if that is that is the ape, then yes.

BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »

As for the mini boss... if that is that is the ape, then yes.

So you didn't get lost I assume Smiley

Can you send log-file(s) ?  I'd like to see how much you died, how long it took to through levels etc.
(log-files for each run are copied into %APPDATA%/Logrus folder, most convenient way to send them would be to use this form)

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »

Done... if you need more files, let me know. I think I have round 11 or so in the folder.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:10:39 AM »

The backgrounds look they were fingerpainted, and looks great! Too many clouds, though.

Yeah.
BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 05:01:02 AM »

The backgrounds look they were fingerpainted, and looks great! Too many clouds, though.

Backgrounds are hand-painted.
Well, sorta -- it's composed of tiles which are hand-painted; almost the same technique as in latest Rayman games.

BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 05:06:04 AM »

Done... if you need more files, let me know. I think I have round 11 or so in the folder.

Please send them all.

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:03:29 AM »

Done Smiley. Hope it wasn't spammy. That form doesn't allow attaching of more than one file

BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »

Done Smiley. Hope it wasn't spammy. That form doesn't allow attaching of more than one file

Thanks!
That wasn't spammy; yea, sending only one file at a time is kinda inconvenient, gotta do smth about that later.

BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »

Updated build -- finally 'real' player-character model.
Animations are still so-so, but I think it's better than dummy-model used before Smiley

GridlockBen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 12:46:55 AM »

Uploaded a lovely log file.

That's pretty cool, nice tutorial hints (particularly like the double jump speech bubble at the start) and lovely art style.

Found I died a fair bit which got frustrating toward the end, I'm sure a few more checkpoints (like when you break the crystals would help).

Few other bits of unsolicited feedback...
 - Found dark pools can get a bit lost against the background
 - Jump and attack feels strange (takes all momentum away from the player unlike Rayman or Smash Bros)
 - You can't look around while you're moving
 - Level 207 Link <1> to 203.3 you can just walk off the edge of the level and get stuck

Thanks for sharing!

BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 01:51:07 AM »

- Jump and attack feels strange (takes all momentum away from the player unlike Rayman or Smash Bros)

Thanks for the feedback!
I see you gave up after more that 10 deaths; I should probably add some more checkpoints on level...

Are you sure about jump?
I mean, attack does stop you (yes, this is kinda wrong) but jump actually get you moving even faster...

// other stuff put to notes

GridlockBen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 02:05:47 AM »

Are you sure about jump?

Had another little play, I'm not sure about jump Smiley. Attacking while jumping stopped my momentum so I let go of the analogue stick. Now you've told me I see what you mean but it wasn't intuitive.

You can go quiet a distance jumping and attacking repeatedly (up to 3 times) - is that how you're meant to get the double-jump crystal at the start?
BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 03:26:18 AM »

Had another little play, I'm not sure about jump Smiley. Attacking while jumping stopped my momentum so I let go of the analogue stick. Now you've told me I see what you mean but it wasn't intuitive.

Yeah, attack should not cancel horizontal speed/acceleration.

There's another detail about jumping I should've mentioned in tutorial -- you jump farther (horizontally) when you hold stick/button; when you release stick/button, character loses horz.speed decreased very quickly -- that you have less chances to slide-to-your-death (which I always hated in games).

You can go quiet a distance jumping and attacking repeatedly (up to 3 times) - is that how you're meant to get the double-jump crystal at the start?
Whoa, that's one funny bug Smiley
You don fall down during active attack phase, so it seems I allow horz.movement during that time too (which I should not).

BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »

updated the build -- lots of gameplay and visuals tweaks;
player character now looks like she's intented.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 01:14:24 PM »

That's an incredibly slow place to download from. 8min to download something that should take seconds?

-I hated the look of the intro area, but the outdoor stuff is really nice.

-It is a bit weird that her feet are on almost the same plane while the perspective of the ground suggests that one foot should be deeper into the scene. Then again, the angle of the ground changes every few feet.

-The attack animation has no weight behind it. It should really use more of her body, not just her arm. The movement animations are quite nice, though.

-How do you jump with the keyboard? All my tutorial messages are Gamepad-related, but I wanted to see if I could use either one.

-Mouse support in menus would probably be good.

-Unskippable text is irritating. I could already guess what sparks were for. I didn't need her to stand there for five seconds telling me. The text in the dark area was even worse because it took forever for a three-word sentence to end.

-Some of the text could use proofreading. "It's darkening all around," doesn't really sound right.

-Having her stop attacking after three strikes feels wrong to me.

-Some item "magnetism" would probably be good. If I smash a crystal, I keep expecting the contents to fly toward me, but instead I have to jump back up and get them every time.

-If I jump and hit a slanted ceiling, she often turns around. Intentional?

-Checkpoint placement is very weird. It seems like checkpoints are in easy areas rather than being placed before difficult ones.

-I love climbing things. It feels mostly good and exploring is fun, although hopefully there will be more to find in a later version.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
BLK Dragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

How do you jump with the keyboard? All my tutorial messages are Gamepad-related, but I wanted to see if I could use either one.

Tutorials are displayed for gamepad (if gamepad connected), so just unplug it and you'll see tutorials for keyboard. Keyboard and gamepad can be used at the same time though.

-Unskippable text is irritating. I could already guess what sparks were for. I didn't need her to stand there for five seconds telling me. The text in the dark area was even worse because it took forever for a three-word sentence to end.

It's necessary evil I believe (most likely it'll be comics 'cut-scene' in final game) -- lots of people did't get what sparks are/for; the same for dark crystals. But I should make it skippable, yes.

Is "It's darkening all around" really sound wrong? English isn't my native language, but there is a verb "to darken" and "sky is darkening" is quite valid sentence, I believe.

-If I jump and hit a slanted ceiling, she often turns around. Intentional?
No, most likely it's a wall-sliding issue -- character is oriented back-to-wall when starting to slide down; when no actual sliding occurs, it looks weird. Just need some more testing/tweaking.

Checkpoint placement is very weird. It seems like checkpoints are in easy areas rather than being placed before difficult ones.
Originally, checkpoints was placed only at the level entry. Later I've added some more in most difficult places.
There is also 'checkpoint' item so you can place checkpoint in any place you need.

-I love climbing things. It feels mostly good and exploring is fun, although hopefully there will be more to find in a later version.
It's good to hear Smiley
Can you tell at what point in the game did you quit?
(it seems you haven't reached mini-boss...)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic