Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:01:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBaseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Baseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves  (Read 11377 times)
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »

Baseless
// baseless is a game. a game about space cowboys and scarves.

// INFO

This is my latest project in which I'm exploring a simplistic you-only-need-one-finger control scheme, an open space environment, and gradients. Will be released on iOS, Android, Windows, and MacOSX.

See the DevLog in it's entirety HERE

• Category: Space Cowboy Simulator
  • Inspired by: Cowboy Bebop, No Man's Sky, Journey, The Binding of Isaac, space, Colorado, gummy worms, people who complained about the complicated controls of my previous game (David)
  • File Size (of demo): 2mb
  • Made with: Gamemaker Studio

// DEMO

(Windows only) Download Link:
http://fermenter.itch.io/baseless

// IT LOOKS LIKE THIS

(see more pretty pictures here!)

// PLEASE

• Play the demo
  • Gimme dat precious feedback
  • Suggest outrageous additions/subtraction/multiplications
  • Follow the progress and keep in touch here, or on Twitter

// THANK
         you!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:07:08 PM by Fermenter » Logged

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 05:05:09 PM »

Nice, really liking the style so far. Is shooting the only means of moving? It was a little hard to tell.
Sub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »

This looks incredible man, keep it up.

It Usually Ends In Nuclear War, a 4x strategy game

9001, a fast paced action arcade game
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »

Nice, really liking the style so far. Is shooting the only means of moving? It was a little hard to tell.

Thanks! As of now, yes, shoot to propel yourself, and I think that's how it's going to stay.
With my other project, "David", the biggest complaint people had was that it was too difficult to balance combat with the onscreen movement controls. So with this project (almost as a joke) I thought I'd do my best to not allow that complaint to be a possibility. And hey, it's turning out to feel/work really well!

This looks incredible man, keep it up.

Also thanks! I sure will.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »

Damn. I love the art-style, honestly. And the sense of scope. For example, when you propel yourself quickly around the large planet w/ the player being relatively small on screen. Super slick.

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »

Damn. I love the art-style, honestly. And the sense of scope. For example, when you propel yourself quickly around the large planet w/ the player being relatively small on screen. Super slick.

That's really encouraging to hear! I'm really liking how everything feels right now; PLANET JUMPIN' FUN. But well, I suppose it's lacking objective. I'd like to keep it sandbox-y, because the mechanics are really fun to just play with, but I'm not quite sure what direction to take it yet. Suggestions, anyone?

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »

That's really encouraging to hear! I'm really liking how everything feels right now; PLANET JUMPIN' FUN. But well, I suppose it's lacking objective. I'd like to keep it sandbox-y, because the mechanics are really fun to just play with, but I'm not quite sure what direction to take it yet. Suggestions, anyone?

Honestly, my first thoughts are as follows:

-Randomly generate planet(s) and positions
-Binding of Isaac-like stackable upgrades/weapons
-Keep it open, fast-paced, and arcade-y

Opinions?

EDIT: Just looked up David. Holy shit balls, that looks rad. *slowly settles down*

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:41:05 PM »

Opinions?

Interesting thoughts. Thanks so much. Beer! I like the idea of experimenting with rougelike/procedural ideas. Procedural planets with "random" fauna, enemies, pickups, treasure, etc. (BTW, No Man's Sky has got me really inspired! Tongue) And BoI stackable/rpg-esque upgrades sounds like a blast. I mean, it'd be tough to execute, but very cool if I could do it right.

Also, something that's got replay value like Binding of Isaac would be great. Maybe quicker iterations though if my main demographic/player is on a phone. Hmmn!

Thanks again, Zach!

EDIT: hahaha, making me blush!

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful. I especially like the way the snake-dragon-thing writhes as if in pain. The mechanics look great too - seems like it would be very satisfying to play.

I agree with Zach that you're probably best to keep it very open and arcadey. But some sort of goal would be needed - perhaps something which could fit with both randomly generated planets and the cowboy premise. Bounty-hunting? Tracking beasts?

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful. I especially like the way the snake-dragon-thing writhes as if in pain. The mechanics look great too - seems like it would be very satisfying to play.

I agree with Zach that you're probably best to keep it very open and arcadey. But some sort of goal would be needed - perhaps something which could fit with both randomly generated planets and the cowboy premise. Bounty-hunting? Tracking beasts?

Smiley

I love playing with physics engines, because stuff like that (the writhing) seems to happen naturally after I set up the rules/ragdolls/structure.

Indeed. I'm going to let the ideas cook for a while before I act on anything, but keep the suggestions coming!

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »

Love the dragon monster!

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »

By the way, I bought David. It's neat. But anyway, played your demo. So far, so good. You probably know this, but I ran into this issue while outrunning the dragon-thing.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 05:31:16 PM »

Scarf physics? Scarf physics!
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »

I am really loving the art style so far! Very akin to something I would do (check out my current devlog and you'll see what I mean haha). Besides that, looks like it'll be quite fun once you flesh it out.

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 12:49:20 AM »

Love the dragon monster!

Me too! Almost to the point of not wanting to make it an enemy. Too charming!

By the way, I bought David. It's neat. But anyway, played your demo. So far, so good. You probably know this, but I ran into this issue while outrunning the dragon-thing.

Thanks for checking David out, dude. And yep, the dragon-thing is a little too sticky it seems. :p

Scarf physics? Scarf physics!

Indeed! haha..

I am really loving the art style so far! Very akin to something I would do (check out my current devlog and you'll see what I mean haha). Besides that, looks like it'll be quite fun once you flesh it out.

You right! Also, yes, I hope I can find the fun and keep it throughout this development. Wish me luck!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 04:03:57 AM »

Opinions?

EDIT: Just looked up David. Holy shit balls, that looks rad. *slowly settles down*
That's a fair assessment because David is awesome.

And nice to see you have a Devlog here, Fermenter! Definitely plan to help spread the word on this like I did with David. Keep up the good work!

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »

That's a fair assessment because David is awesome.

And nice to see you have a Devlog here, Fermenter! Definitely plan to help spread the word on this like I did with David. Keep up the good work!

Thanks dude! It's always an encouragement to see your input on my projects.

---

I've started adding another enemy type and I'll be posting up a sweet gif ASAP.

Sub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »

I tried it out for a bit and I really like where it's going.  If I had to make a general comment, I'd say that the camera rotating / zooming to match the gravity is a bit disorienting.  It might be better if the camera didn't rotate with gravity. 

Awesome work though man, loving it so far.

It Usually Ends In Nuclear War, a 4x strategy game

9001, a fast paced action arcade game
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 03:05:12 AM »

I tried it out for a bit and I really like where it's going.  If I had to make a general comment, I'd say that the camera rotating / zooming to match the gravity is a bit disorienting.  It might be better if the camera didn't rotate with gravity. 

Awesome work though man, loving it so far.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're liking it!

I'm thinking about adding some simple toggle that locks the view rotation, because yes, it can get a little dizzying and moreover just difficult to maneuver/shoot/aim if the view is constantly spinning. Screamy oh! OR MAYBE the view doesn't auto-rotate until you've landed on the planet? that might help! anyway, I'm definitely taking it into consideration. Thanks again.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 05:51:39 AM »

looks totally sweet!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic