Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:09:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEdelin Tales: Portals of Doom
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Edelin Tales: Portals of Doom  (Read 12435 times)
Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2014, 03:02:42 AM »

War has come to the kingdom of Edelin, a conflict unlike any it has witnessed before. Because King Ianos and his forces do not face human opponents but rather hordes of murderous demons who have suddenly appeared in the kingdom, seemingly from out of thin air.

The demons have no interest in surrender or negotiations, only the destruction of Edelin and the slaughter of its people. Leaving fire and blood in their wake, a vast host of demons converges upon Edelin’s capital city and lays siege to it as King Ianos and his subjects defend it from within.

After several days and much sacrifice by the city’s people, the siege is temporarily lifted. Taking advantage of the lull in the fighting, King Ianos assembles a party of four powerful people and tasks them with venturing out into the kingdom, locating the source of the demon invasion and, if possible, putting an end to it.

And so they set forth: the hardened knight, the troubled mage, the spirited necromancer and the proud musketeer, into a land ravaged by war and with the weight of their kingdom’s survival resting upon their shoulders.

Gameplay

Edelin Tales: Portals of Doom is an action-adventure game incorporating rogue-like elements, filled with mystery, combat and exploration. As you travel the war-torn kingdom of Edelin and fight for its survival, you will encounter refugees, merchants and comrades-in-arms, as well as the terrible demons who make up the invading enemy force. Question NPCs for valuable information, purchase essential supplies, fight enemies on the field, and even recapture strongholds to aid the Edelin war effort.

• Action-packed real-time combat.
  • Randomly generated encounters and dungeons – avoid lethal traps and battle deadly creatures.
  • Swap between 4 playable characters, each with their own unique abilities, at any time
  • Explore the kingdom of Edelin, a land randomly generated with each new game, making each playthrough a unique experience.
  • Uncover the mystery behind the demonic scourge plaguing Edelin by following a trail of clues, but be warned – the trail shifts and changes with each new playthrough.
  • Edelin is a kingdom at war – as you continue on your journey, your actions will affect your kingdom’s war efforts, the condition of which will affect your progress in return.
  • 4 different endings.

Characters
Danielle The Musketeer:Danielle is proud to have been chosen to be a part of this newfound, elite troupe, and so takes her duty very seriously. Coming from a poverty-stricken background, she is a self-made woman who believes that although circumstances may play a large part in any endeavour, hard work and determination can always tip the scales in your favour.

Conrad The Wizard:Conrad has travelled the better part of the known world, spending the majority of his time studying in libraries and other places of learning as well as plying his arcane arts in the villages and cities through which he passed. He has seen much in his travels, both good and ill, and although the latter has left its mark upon him, he has never lost sight of what he believes is right.
Madeline The Necromancer:Madeline has always had an affinity for the spirit world that lies beyond the mortal realm and this, as with most necromancers, has given her a somewhat skewed perspective on life. Death, for instance, does not concern her nearly as much as suffering. She is honest
and optimistic, sometimes to a fault, but her upbeat, can-do attitude usually manages to
lift the spirits of those around her.
Hadrian the Knight: Hadrian has served in the royal guard for many years, having cut his teeth in his youth as a guardsman on the dangerous streets of Edelin’s largest port city. Rising through the ranks, he eventually earned his knighthood by thwarting the bloodthirsty Dragon Hollow brigands. While he may not have much academic learning, Hadrian is far from stupid, possessing a great deal of combat experience in the field as well as sharp investigative instincts honed during his years as a guardsman.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:04:51 PM by Disthron » Logged

Please Follow Edelin Tales on Twitter and like us on Facebook
gmx0
Level 0

The Messenger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:22:51 AM »

I can probably say that this is the first RPG I've seen with a musketeer as a main character.

Love the art!

AlcopopStar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 04:21:34 AM »

I've done the character portraits and a little bit of the cutscene work for this game.

I'm very much looking forward to the game myself, and I hope the anyone who digs c64 restrictions will feel the same.(art wise it conforms to the pallet and the widepixel format, though we had to drop the multicolor cell restrictions to save us going mad!)

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:29:14 AM »

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Looks amazing!

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:36:47 AM »

I decided to update the main post with details about the gameplay, rather than just have people infer. At a glance though it's like a cross between an early Zelda style game with the random world and dungeon generation of a Rogue like.

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »

One of the player characters fighting off enemies in the woods.

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »

Our new artist recently completed some new props to decorate the dungeons.

DevWithoutACrew
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »

awesome!

mcwatts91
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 01:21:37 AM »

Is it 256 colors ?
Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 01:24:18 AM »

Is it 256 colors ?

No, it's emulating the multicolor mode from the Commodore 64. So it only has 16 colors.

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 07:36:03 AM »

Here are some of the faces of the Kingdom of Edelin. Some of our NPCs. All character portraits are by AlcopopStar

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 11:39:39 PM »

Love how it looks! Those character portraits, especially. Very nice job!

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 12:33:16 AM »

Thanks a lot, I hope you like how it plays also. ^_^

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 02:11:32 AM »

It certainly reads like something I'd love playing, yes, you don't have to worry about that :-D Is there a demo or prototype available already?

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 04:33:43 AM »

It certainly reads like something I'd love playing, yes, you don't have to worry about that :-D Is there a demo or prototype available already?

Not right now. Unfortunately that will be quite a way off. We are still in the very early stages of code development. So fare we've mostly been developing the system for randomly generating interesting overworld maps and dungeons.

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 05:51:55 AM »

Not right now. Unfortunately that will be quite a way off. We are still in the very early stages of code development. So fare we've mostly been developing the system for randomly generating interesting overworld maps and dungeons.

I'll wait patiently then :-) Good luck!

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 03:13:59 AM »

I'll wait patiently then :-) Good luck!

Thanks a lot, this is only my second game.

Here is a sneak peek at one of the boss monsters you may encounter during the game.

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 02:33:43 AM »

Hi everyone, here is a gif of the new overhauled over world map generator. It's still pretty ruff but I think it's turning out well. Each new game a mew random map will be generated, so no 2 games will be exactly the same.

Disthron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 05:35:48 AM »

Hi everyone, here is a very early look at the dungeon crawling section. Featuring the Knight and the main enemies. This is where the main action of the game will take place. All the dungeons are randomly generated when you enter them but will remain persistent after you leave.

Anyway, any comments or feedback is appreciated.

Stranger087
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »

Omg i like idea to add perspective like this!! You are pure genius! That look very ambient!!!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic