Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:00:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDeciding on a game genre for future project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Deciding on a game genre for future project  (Read 809 times)
FranLesko
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »

Hi! I have been willing to make a college themed game for a while. I really loved games like Bully or the Harry Potter series where you had to attend to classes, learn stuff and then do some questing outside or inside the school, so that is what I am probably going for. I am most likely going to make it a 2D game with cartoony graphics like the TV show Gravity Fall and give a similar feel to South Park: The Stick of Truth. Ultimately, I want it to be an online game, but for now I'll develop a short, single player demo. So far, so good.

The question is... What kind of game should it be? I have been thinking about making it a fighting game (a little bit more like a casual fighter like Super Smash Bros. Brawl), a brawler (perhaps like Scott Pilgrim vs The World) or a turn based RPG (just like the South Park game). I have already worked in games like this in the past and have some code to reuse. I like all those genres, but since I want people to play it and enjoy it, I don't really know what to do.

Thank you for your time and help!
Dino_Salad
Level 0

Love making games :D (I think my cat is a wizard)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »

I don't want to give bad advice but when you think of the game and what it is how do you imagine it? Why not prototype a few examples with placeholder art and that and see what you think? Fail faster and all that? Wizard

Dinosaurs Love Salad
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »

Maybe this will help narrow it down.  It sounds like this will be a game in large part about a particular space (the school).  In such games it's good to make people feel like they know and inhabit that space; by the end, the player should feel like it's their "home" just as if they really went to school there.

So my suggestion is to set it up so I don't leave the space during combat or whatever.  (I don't mean "don't have me leave the school"; I mean "whatever space I'm in, do combat in that space".  Don't take me out of the library and put me in an empty combat arena with a static library background.)  Make me learn my space, and make the space relevant; a fight in a library would be a lot different from a fight in a cafeteria, from a fight in the restroom, etc.  

As for mechanics, I think stealth makes a lot of sense.  At some point, one assumes, there will have to be some sneaking; if one is up to school hijinks, one would presumably sneak past hall monitors rather than, say, set them on fire and hit them with an axe.  If there's any stealth, go all the way and make it good stealth.  "2d open world stealth inside the Thief/Ninja/Assassin/Ghost/whatever Academy" or something like that sounds delightful to me.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic