Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:58:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Learning Cocos2D-X as a Windows-based developer?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Learning Cocos2D-X as a Windows-based developer?  (Read 1070 times)
manabreak
Level 0

dManabreak @ Twitter

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »

I've wanted to learn Cocos2D-X for a while now, but every time I try to wrap my head around it, I come up with problems after problems. It doesn't really help that most of the tutorials are either out-dated, aimed for XCode or written in really broken engrish. More specifically, I'm interested in Android and WP8 development - everything else is a plus, but these two are my main focuses right now.

Does anybody know any good resources to learn how to do it? Or maybe some kind person could tutor me for a bit? Smiley

Thanks in advance, all help is welcome!
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:31:02 AM »

I tried Cocos2Dx, and really really REALLY wanted to get into, and because I had a client who wanted an Android specific game, Cocos2Dx was the only "good" choice that came highly recommended

I couldn't. I'm sure it's a wonderful engine to those who know how to use it, but the documentation was amazingly awful, the examples seemed a bit too granular and not all of them compiled for me to check them out.. it was a mess.

And then, Torque2D 3.0 got released a couple weeks later (4 months ago now or something like that) and it's the first Torque2D to support android platforms.  I downloaded it, pointed the settings to my Android NDK package, and hit the Compile button in Eclipse with the provided Eclipse project

Boom. There was a fully running example game on my android.

Torque2D, though open source and you can mess with the C++ code underneath, the recommended way to make games with it, is to use it's TorqueScript system. It's like UDK in that the scripting language can do pretty much everything you'd ever want to.

As a bonus, Torque2D also compiles, with the same code, to maaaany other platforms.

Not sure about WP8 though, that's a DirectX native device and Im not entirely sure of many engines that throw themselves to it. You will find most free/cheap multiplatform game engines will run on: Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, and Android because all of those are OpenGL compatible/native.

Of course, there's always Unity. It's free to use and publish, you'll just need to suffer with the "Made with Unity" splash screen

manabreak
Level 0

dManabreak @ Twitter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »

I tried Cocos2Dx, and really really REALLY wanted to get into, and because I had a client who wanted an Android specific game, Cocos2Dx was the only "good" choice that came highly recommended

I couldn't. I'm sure it's a wonderful engine to those who know how to use it, but the documentation was amazingly awful, the examples seemed a bit too granular and not all of them compiled for me to check them out.. it was a mess.

And then, Torque2D 3.0 got released a couple weeks later (4 months ago now or something like that) and it's the first Torque2D to support android platforms.  I downloaded it, pointed the settings to my Android NDK package, and hit the Compile button in Eclipse with the provided Eclipse project

Torque2D, though open source and you can mess with the C++ code underneath, the recommended way to make games with it, is to use it's TorqueScript system. It's like UDK in that the scripting language can do pretty much everything you'd ever want to.

As a bonus, Torque2D also compiles, with the same code, to maaaany other platforms.

Not sure about WP8 though, that's a DirectX native device and Im not entirely sure of many engines that throw themselves to it. You will find most free/cheap multiplatform game engines will run on: Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, and Android because all of those are OpenGL compatible/native.

Of course, there's always Unity. It's free to use and publish, you'll just need to suffer with the "Made with Unity" splash screen

Sounds pretty similar to my prior experiences with Cocos2D-X. Well, today I finally got a project running on all my devices, and even got to moving a sprite using touch input. I call that a victory already!

The problem with most of the free / open-source frameworks and libraries is the sad fact that WP8 is not supported - like in the case of Torque2D. Unity is not an option - I've used it for years and have over a year's worth of professional experience with it, and truth is, I've had it with Unity. Maybe it's just me, though.

I will spend the next couple of days fiddling around with Cocos2D-X, and if I finally get my head wrapped around it, I promise to write a set of Windows-friendly tutorials. I swear.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:44:44 AM »

Sounds pretty similar to my prior experiences with Cocos2D-X. Well, today I finally got a project running on all my devices, and even got to moving a sprite using touch input. I call that a victory already!

The problem with most of the free / open-source frameworks and libraries is the sad fact that WP8 is not supported - like in the case of Torque2D. Unity is not an option - I've used it for years and have over a year's worth of professional experience with it, and truth is, I've had it with Unity. Maybe it's just me, though.

I will spend the next couple of days fiddling around with Cocos2D-X, and if I finally get my head wrapped around it, I promise to write a set of Windows-friendly tutorials. I swear.

Hey, one of the BEST thing's you can possibly do for any project (like Cocos2D), is contribute to the documentation and help craft it for the better.  If you do that, you are a super hero of the internet good sir.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 06:01:36 PM »

I also used cocos2d for a brief time and hated it. Over-engineered would be one (nice) way to put it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic