Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:25:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTikiball - Beach volleyball with tiki heads
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tikiball - Beach volleyball with tiki heads  (Read 1513 times)
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »

It's available on:
Android: Download it
iOS: Download it
Kongregate: Play

I'm developing I've developed a beach volleyball game which can be played by one or two players.

The are four unlockable characters. In the web version, to make it easy to use/test them, they all unlock after one match won. In the mobile version they will have different amounts of matches needed.

Here's a poor brown-hooded gull flying by the playing zone (captured from a previous game version with placeholder graphics):

I'll be glad to get some feedback on the game.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:32:29 AM by xrm0 » Logged
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »

Update:
  • Improved buttons. The sprites were stretched and looked bad (the art is still placeholder)
  • More FX sounds
  • Bugfix: there was a case were you could score two points at once
  • AI skill improved
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »

Ok so I'm playing Tikiball and I get the hang of moving my tiki guy and I start scoring. The match is really starting to become an endurance trial, some of these rallies are taking 30 - 40 seconds, birds are DYING for this. And it comes DOWN TO THE WIRE 4 v 4 and then this happens:

No No NO I got robbed!

Couple of notes:
-You might want to make the ball move faster for higher difficulty rather than make the AI stronger.
-BGM loop is good but a bit short.
-Might want to play with increasing the speed as time goes on to end long matches before they get tiring.

xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »

@msilver: Thank you very much for your suggestions.

The AI/gameplay is definitely something I have to work on.

I like the idea of increasing the ball speed after a certain period of time. I'll implement that next week.

UPDATE: New version uploaded with new, shiny, graphics!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:00:53 PM by xrm0 » Logged
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »

I think this is the last update before releasing the game on mobile. Changes:

• Four unlockable characters
  • A lot of minor ui fixes
  • The AI now jumps
  • Some bugfixes

xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »

More and more bugfixes and I've decided it was time to release the game.

It's out for Android and the iOS version is underway (waiting for Apple approval).

Download for Android
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 10:30:57 AM »

Tikiball has been released today for iOS! Download it
ActionGamemaster
Level 0

I fight frogs regularly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »

Excuse me, Tiki?

Sorry, I just had to.

The easy pc is so easy, I don't even have time to even do something. It literally starts kicking the ball into its own territory and losing. It looks dumb, and it's funny. Do keep it under the name of "super dumb dragon stone" or something.

The jump is really small. I wish I had a bigger jump. It almost feels like it doesn't do anything at all. Change that and make the pc have the ability to jump, it doesn't seem to do that at all.

I just discovered a glitch with the Dragon Stone difficulty. I let the dragon stone do its stuff, and it registered a hit on itself even though the ball was mid-air.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:52:48 PM by ActionGamemaster » Logged

I'm doing a game thingie here:
ActionGamemaster
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 03:18:09 AM »

Excuse me, Tiki?

Smiley

The computer player jumps (sometimes) but only in the normal and difficult settings. Maybe I just have to increase the rate.
Others also told me about the easy setting being too easy, I like your suggestion on leaving it as it is and renaming it "super easy".
When the bug occurred, do you remember how many times the ai hit the ball before?

Thanks for the feedback!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »

I like the music and the art. The gameplay is all right, but not something I'd spend a lot of time playing.

I agree with ActionGameMaster about the jump, sort of. I found it pretty useful. My main issue is that it just doesn't feel like a jump. I pop into the air, hover a bit and then kind of drift down in stages. The character just isn't smoothly affected by gravity.

It was a bit confusing how many times I could hit the ball before I'd lose. In real volleyball, I feel like I remember two players being able to touch it and then that was it. In this, it seems like four hits or so?

The AI wasn't very good on Medium difficulty. It seemed to just try to get under the ball, without ever really pushing it forward, so half the time the ball just bounced off the net and gave me a point. I think I like your idea about making it jump more often.

It's a pretty decent game. Not really something I'd normally play, but it's got a good theme and it works quite well.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »

You are right about the jump. I didn't get it right, I might fix it soon.

I don't know real volleyball rules, but the number of times each player can touch the ball in Tikiball is 3 times.

And the AI is definitely something I had to fix, most people playing the game tell me easy and normal settings are too easy.

Thanks for playing it!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic