Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:18:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGravekeeper- Eerie and Stylized Low Poly
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gravekeeper- Eerie and Stylized Low Poly  (Read 1164 times)
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »

Atmospheric sidescroller, take the challenge of managing and keeping order in a restless necropolis.

Current stage: Mockups, prototyping, and conceptualizing

Team:
Pine- Assets Design and Concepts
http://pinekkk.deviantart.com/

Valentine- Character Design and Concepts
http://warzone16.deviantart.com/

Myself- Programming, Music, and Modeling

Gameplay
Play as the graveyard's overseer, trained in the arcane arts (but now retired). Guard the graves as the skeletal bodies underneath try to protrude. Reach the tombs in time and cast a spell over them in order to avoid a body to rise, wait too long and the undead will unearth and roam either aimlessly or with all the intention of giving you a hard time. Roaming bodies require longer and/or more complex spells. It's all fun and games until someone looses a limb.

Entities and presences also lurk the graveyard, protect yourself with the appropriate rituals or try to strike up an agreement...but whose...yours or theirs?

Gear up, after all, you are the night shift guy. Equip yourself for the pitch black of night, gather the essentials: lamps & oils, spells, rituals, charms, and trinkets.

Game progress will be presented in the form of map expansion. The Graveyard will grow in sectors towards the right offering different enemy types and challenges.

Concepts

Main character concept

Tombstones concepts

Mockup/Prototype
This is a very early work in progress, currently testing "player" movement and the basics of the lamp/lighting system. Suggestions and feedback is highly appreciated!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102181736/Prototype/index.html
Arrow keys- movement
Hold spacebar to cast a spell.
1, 2, 3 (top row)- Candlelight color

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:47:32 PM by kraed » Logged

8-Bit Ape
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:20:17 AM »

Loving the concept art. You can't see much of the player by candle light though... (unless the stick is just a placeholder for the player?)

Looks really interesting!
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »

@8-bit Ape
Thanks!! The stick is indeed a placeholder, so far this current prototype is only three days of work, but we'll get into a proper working player soon.

---

In the meanwhile i'm starting to implement lamp dynamics and the base for enemy interaction. Check it out!!

8-Bit Ape
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

Love the arm poking out!
lionfish
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:40:37 AM »

Great job.  Looking forward to following this one.  I think the lamp's swing dynamics and lighting looks great!
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »

Thanks for the compliment guys!! Things are coming along together better than i expected...there's a lot to do, though.

Reached my first goal with the project, implemented a total of three graves with a whack a mole kind of gameplay in the prototype.
Lamp's fire changes color when casting a spell.
Added sound effects for the ground rumbling and the spellcasting.

Link to the prototype is in the first post!

This is just the basic principle of the gameplay as small and easy as it gets, it's intended for the enemies to pop out completely and have specific behaviors. Will add a thing or two before going to the next step which is getting just one unit walking and combine it with what i already have for the core part of reaching or not reaching a grave in time.

Current to do:
Lamp's light depletion and recharging
Visual representation of a hand getting destroyed, either by an animation or the actual parts falling to the floor with physics.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:37:27 PM by kraed » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic