Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:25:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSPEED JESUS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SPEED JESUS  (Read 951 times)
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »

S P E E D   J E S U S
MASTER THE AUTO-SCROLLER   —   BECOME SPEED JESUS

W H A T

SPEED JESUS is an autoscroller based around controlling the speed that the screen autoscrolls at and trying to get a GOD TIME.

You want to go AS FAST AS POSSIBLE but sometimes AS FAST AS POSSIBLE is too FAST and you'll RUN INTO BAD THINGS so ideally you'll go AS FAST AS POSSIBLE WHILE BEING SAFE.

RELATIVES

At all times, the player has a single relative. The player's total speed is the sum of the relative's speed and the player's personal speed (controlled by WASD).

The camera follows the current relative.

The relative's Y speed is displayed in the center of its body.

You can change active relatives by clicking on a new one.

ZOOM COINS

The current relative's speed can be increased by collecting ZOOM COINS.

UNZOOM COINS

The current relative's speed can be decreased by collecting UNZOOM COINS.

DANGER

Avoid DANGEROUS OBSTACLES or your attempt at becoming SPEED JESUS will fall through.

ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY

The game features an automatic built-in speedrun split timer to help you become SPEED JESUS.

SPLIT NAME, TIME GAIN/LOSS, TIME OF SPLIT FROM CURRENT RUN OR PERSONAL BEST
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:38:40 PM by Irock » Logged

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:08:58 PM »

Trying to settle on a graphical style. Trying out a low-poly thing.

One thing I'm worried about is how bland this game might potentially seem from the outside. I'm wondering if that's actually the case and whether or not a minimalistic graphical style might amplify that problem.

In addition to playing around with graphics and making small fixes and tweaks, I made a little checkmark zoom (scale zoom, not speed zoom) down when you activate a split. Splits happen just when the camera crosses a certain y coordinate, so I felt it was necessary to add some more feedback so it's more obvious when it happens.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:38:16 PM »

I made a + or - symbol appear when the parent speeds up or slows down so it's more obvious what is happening.

Also started working on level design. The level shown in the video was something I threw together for the prototype so it probably won't be in the final game.

Here's a video of the most recent version of the game:

Savick
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »

I was a tiny bit skeptical about the simple graphics (as I often am), but that gameplay video you posted looks like a genuine good time.
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »

Thanks! I think minimalistic graphical styles can be done well; I just need to figure out how I can accomplish that. Perhaps I need to add more flashy stuff for the eye to look at and also try to work in some personality to make it more flavorful.

I usually do pixel art for my games but wanted to try something new.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic