Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:07:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs100 Orcs (Arcade-ish Hack and Slash)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 100 Orcs (Arcade-ish Hack and Slash)  (Read 3202 times)
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:52:07 AM »

Here we go. First adventure in to game development.

Firstly, I'm an artist at heart. Coding is quite above my head and that has stopped me from publishing anything for a very long time. At the beginning this year I gave myself a goal and after three miserable months I failed quite hard at reaching that goal. The last month and a half has been sort of a resurrection for this project and I couldn't be happier for it. I want to make games that are quirky and give anyone that plays it a reason to smile while they smash some orcs.

I call this project 100 Orcs.

Simple and straight forward. It's an arcade hack and slash with a spice of light-hearted humor. Orcs charge at you from either side and your job is to dice 'em up!

Here is a link to the demo build -> http://bit.ly/100orcs (Requires the Unity Webplayer)

I am all ears on any feedback you might have.

Enjoy,

Kelly Ray
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:11:00 PM by KellyRay » Logged

@kellyrayj
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:08 AM »

Quite a neat little prototype! The graphics and animations are already looking great. I could imagine lots of places you could go with this. Jumping, aerial attacks, monster types, etc. It already feels good. Keep it up!
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »

Quite a neat little prototype! The graphics and animations are already looking great. I could imagine lots of places you could go with this. Jumping, aerial attacks, monster types, etc. It already feels good. Keep it up!

Thank you! Much appreciated.

@kellyrayj
cascaid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »

Great fun, and the orcs are adorable, I almost don't want to kill them!
It took me quite a while to get used to using up for jump, personally I'd like to use spacebar as an alternative, but you might be saving that for something else.
I also get quite a lot of lag when running through a large group of orcs, might be that there's too much logic being processed in your colliderStay methods.
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:21:06 PM »

@cascaid Lol thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

I am actually surprised that the spacebar didn't work! I will have to investigate this. I have to tell you, your comment sparked an idea about the colliderStay methods. And I think you are correct. Try the demo again and see if there's any improvement. I've seen a significant improvement on my side and I had nearly 30+ orcs on the screen. I was forgetting to turn the collider off when the Hero was hit the first time so even though he wasn't taking damage, the TiggerEnter stuff was still firing.

http://bit.ly/100orcs

@kellyrayj
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »

I generally do my art in either Photoshop or Illustrator. In this case it was Illustrator. I spread the pieces apart and used Unity's 2D sprite tools to animate!

@kellyrayj
cascaid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »

Hmm, it still goes laggy for me if I try to just run through a large group.
Also, I had space bar working when I first loaded it, but it seemed to break after I did a bit of fighting.
Savick
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »

Some suggestions -- the color of the orcs and the green of the background looks very similar to me right now, maybe add some more of a blue hue into the orcs palette? Also that run cycle is very stiff at the moment. I don't want to insult you, but it looks like a jerky robot. I'm sure if you look up some walk cycles on the net you can see what I mean about smoothness and how animation works. Again, no offense meant. I hope you have fun making this game  Hand Thumbs Up Right
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

Some suggestions -- the color of the orcs and the green of the background looks very similar to me right now, maybe add some more of a blue hue into the orcs palette? Also that run cycle is very stiff at the moment. I don't want to insult you, but it looks like a jerky robot. I'm sure if you look up some walk cycles on the net you can see what I mean about smoothness and how animation works. Again, no offense meant. I hope you have fun making this game  Hand Thumbs Up Right

No insult taken! Thank you for your thoughts!

@cascaid Disappointing that you are still having lag in the large groups. Some others have noted that their FPS issue has been solved. My next assumption is that it has something to do with the number of orcs on screen and the animations. I may have to go down to a sprite sheet animation instead of individual parts. Sad

@kellyrayj
kingdinosaurgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »

As far as giving me a reason to smile, mission accomplished - those orcs are adorable.  I want to organize them into a labor union, teach them how to read, and help them discover democracy.

KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »

As far as giving me a reason to smile, mission accomplished - those orcs are adorable.  I want to organize them into a labor union, teach them how to read, and help them discover democracy.

:D That makes me happy!

@kellyrayj
cascaid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:37 AM »

My next assumption is that it has something to do with the number of orcs on screen and the animations. I may have to go down to a sprite sheet animation instead of individual parts. Sad
It could be that my browser was caching the old version, I'll give it a go in firefox tonight instead. The issue was only happening when walking through the orcs, so it was certainly collider related.
I would say you are best off with the individual parts, rather than a sprite sheet. That is how my game works too and I greatly prefer the flexibility it offers.
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:38:51 AM »

I went ahead and did the pro-trial of unity to access the profiler. I think I've learned a couple things.

I've turned off my V-sync and turned down the iterations of physics in the settings. It looks better in the profiler now. We'll see if the demo does any better.

http://bit.ly/100orcs
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:14:38 AM by KellyRay » Logged

@kellyrayj
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 08:46:02 AM »

@ cascaid

You nailed it on your first post Cascaid. I just didn't understand until now. It was the colliderStay methods. I did a test by commenting out everything in the scripts and assets that I am using that has anything to do with colliderStay or triggerStay and the profiler now reads at nearly 1000 fps!

@kellyrayj
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

What are you going to use instead of OnColliderStay?

KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 03:51:53 AM »

I never actually used colliderStay to begin with. Enter and Exit is the only method I'm using at the moment. 

@kellyrayj
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 05:25:50 AM »

I never actually used colliderStay to begin with. Enter and Exit is the only method I'm using at the moment. 
Oh okay, those are what I use too.  Gomez

KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »

Feeling real good about where I am with the prototype. I'm in an art producing mood. What do you think about stage 2?

@kellyrayj
kingdinosaurgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »

I love the art style, that is a damn fine level background

KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 07:03:17 AM »

I love the art style, that is a damn fine level background

Thanks!