Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:51:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDirty Boxers [Top Down Multiplayer Boxing Game]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dirty Boxers [Top Down Multiplayer Boxing Game]  (Read 1891 times)
Killy
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:34:46 PM »

Hey guys, Dirty Boxers is the working title for a top down boxing game that my brother and I have been working on over the last month.  It started off as a quick prototype inspired by the aerial photo of Muhammad Ali's knockout of Cleveland Williams, but recently we did a playtest and received an enthusiastic response, so we've decided to move forward with the project and flesh it out into a full game.  There are a lot of different directions we can take it, so we'll be exploring various ideas here and see what works.

Gameplay:
We're heavily inspired by old school brawlers and fighting games, so we're placing a lot of importance on player reactions, positioning, and reading the opponent, but we still want the game to be accessible enough that anyone can pick it up and have a blast.  It's currently 1v1 local/couch multiplayer focused, but we're brainstorming some ideas for single player components and other possible multiplayer modes (2v2, FFA, etc).  

Influences:
Beat 'em ups - Double Dragon, Streets of Rage
Fighting games - Street Fighter Third Strike
Punch Out!

Tone:
Over the top. Very.

Influences:
Hajime no Ippo
Rocky

Mechanics:
The players automatically face each other as they move around the ring.  Players have a quick jab (left hand) as well as a slower straight (right hand) that does twice the damage.  Players also have a short dash as well as a block that can deflect an attack if timed correctly.  Health is indicated by the status of the faces and players can take 8 jabs/4 straights before getting knocked out.  We have a rough initial implementation of a frame based hitbox/hurtbox system in place for attack collision/damage.

Engine:
Unity with a 2D setup.  There's always the possibility of moving things to 3D, but 2D assets are easier to create right now.  We're also trying to keep it lighter on UI at least until Unity 4.6 comes out.

Team:
Killy
actzzzz

What's next:
In the short term, we're adding in some menu/UI flow as well as more visual effects to help each action stand out. We also want to keep experimenting with some different combat mechanics.

Hope you guys like what you see! We're excited to share this project with you guys and we'll probably upload a build for playtesting later this week.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:01:33 PM by Killy » Logged
Savick
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »

Not a fan of the pink floor outside the ring, but I'm sure you have ideas. Top down boxing, you say? Haven't seen that before. Good luck with this. Although, the first thing that comes to mind for me when you say dirty boxers is dirty men's underwear. Might wanna think about that.
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »

Not a fan of the pink floor outside the ring, but I'm sure you have ideas. Top down boxing, you say? Haven't seen that before. Good luck with this. Although, the first thing that comes to mind for me when you say dirty boxers is dirty men's underwear. Might wanna think about that.

I feel like everything Savick said was just temp graphics / name for now, but incase it's not, I agree. It looks like it'll be fun though for sure Smiley

actzzzz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »

Dev #2 here, thanks for the feedback! Graham is correct -  we already have a couple of actual names we are considering at the moment. Dirty Boxers was initially chosen as the working title because of the double entendre, but we came to the same conclusion.  Grin

As for the pink background, it is a placeholder that we're replacing with a dynamic crowd / fan system that reacts to player performance.
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:16:44 AM »

Yeah!!! I'm really fan of the big eyed face of the boxer when he get punched!  Kiss

I agree with others pink is maybe not the better choice for outiside of the ring.
Can't wait to see it replaced by the crowd.

actzzzz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 05:13:53 PM »

Got some more done this week:

Main menu. Added a simple intro sequence / main menu, since I always liked those from old SNES games and stuff. WIP art, but it gets the idea across. Again, we are changing the name Wink. You can select 1 player (vs COM) or 2 players.

Fans. Red and blue fans with a basic head-bobbing animation were added (they're really into the match and music!). We plan to add more animations to reflect player actions in the game (cheering, booing, rioting?). Also want to give them variations so they don't look like a huge sausage clone army.

New background. Replaced the blinding pink background with a more colorful but toned down one as you can see in these screenshots.  I want to keep the art flashy to match the energy and over-the-top feel of the game. There is also a subtle colored vignette now.

Punching changes. Added both types of punches to both arms rather than jab left and straight right. Bumpers are now jabs and triggers are now straights. The punches are still kind of hard to tell apart which is awful for a fighting game that relies on predicting your opponent's moves, so we plan to add some visual effects and different sounds to them soon.

Pause functionality. There's a pause screen and placeholder match end screen that allows for a rematch or exiting back to the main menu.

Win markers. To keep track of round wins, currently best of three, we created some belt win markers next to the avatars.  The GUITextures in Unity are annoying to deal with, but they are there until Unity releases the updated GUI stuff. 

Ref. We also added a ref who follows the boxers around the ring and will have more functionality later. He will be able to be punched and will also deal with some simple match start / between round stuff like an actual ref does. Still brainstorming some ideas on how to make him more ridiculous and react to player behavior.

You can see everything in action in these gifs!

Savick
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 05:21:48 PM »

Looks like it's coming along! The only objection I have is that the noses on the top down figures look odd to me. Like, I get how you would see them if they were big enough on the face given the distance, but from that much of a zoomed out distance it makes it seem like everyone has really big noses. May be what you're going for? Just looks kind of strange to me.
Blambo
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 05:47:54 PM »

i love the pink floor but i hate the outlines and rendering style on the dudes
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic