Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:34:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)I need feedback! (especially from pros - color/darkness issue)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: I need feedback! (especially from pros - color/darkness issue)  (Read 3111 times)
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 11:35:01 PM »

Your image is taken outdoors and your video indoors. As a result there's no blue in the cave, just orange and pitch black. If you ask why is the torch green you may as well ask why are the Smurfs blue. That's just a game and it's not even 3d (no place for actual realism).

And my palette is quite greenish. I don't know why you guys cheer for the blue so much. No game I know actually goes for this (not even Dark Souls, the king of darkness).

RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 06:27:25 PM »

Your image is taken outdoors and your video indoors. As a result there's no blue in the cave, just orange and pitch black. If you ask why is the torch green you may as well ask why are the Smurfs blue. That's just a game and it's not even 3d (no place for actual realism).

And my palette is quite greenish. I don't know why you guys cheer for the blue so much. No game I know actually goes for this (not even Dark Souls, the king of darkness).

Roll Eyes

FishFace
Level 0

Glub glub!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 03:16:44 AM »

Your original post actually looked fine to me. It could do with a bit more contrast, but not much. Remember, if you boost the contrast in *any* image and then go back to the original, it will look "washed out" by comparison, even if already had too much contrast.

I think green gives it a nice atmosphere, but you might want to make your torches give off yellow light regardless, fading to green. Fire isn't usually green.

If you want a dingy atmosphere, you can't introduce too much contrast, even in the light areas, IMO.

Glub glub!
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 03:35:02 AM »

Hey, thanks for replying. I must agree that some games go fine with low contrast, they get that "vintage" (?) feel (it's like normal photos versus hipster photos), but it will be a game which includes a lot of combat, so whether I like it or not, everything has to be visible/practical.

About the green glow: it's supposed to bring a certain feel to the whole place. It's probably a mistake on my part, I should have explained it earlier, but the whole place is an underground necropolis with a lich ruling the whole thing. The torches aren't lit by humans but by his magical powers, which makes more sense to me, really, who would keep all the  torches in a dungeon lit for such a long time if not a magical guy? But it's just a story - in general it serves a purpose to give the environment a very specific vibe, some kind of a mood of undeath, you know? There are lots of games with yellow torches. I understand sometimes the imagination of artists can struggle with general opinion, but I hope the torches aren't such a big deal.

I found a video on real

and it does show some yellow in it. I'll take it into consideration and if I get better results I'll change it. For now it stays green.

FishFace
Level 0

Glub glub!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 02:53:10 AM »

If you have an in-game explanation and a look-and-feel reason to make them green, go for it.

The objects have to be visible, yes, but at least from the stills they look pretty reasonable (and would be fine with just a bit more contrast, IMO) the background though can be anything you want if the characters don't blend into it!

Glub glub!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic