Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:08:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsQuick art for programmers: Make a sprite in 15 minutes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Quick art for programmers: Make a sprite in 15 minutes  (Read 5364 times)
glintycreative
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »

In a small room, a coder had just finished prototyping his game.
On the screen, a circle ran and jump between the sticks. A lot of squares tried to kill the circle. The world around the circle was a sterile black void.
Ahhh, I need some art. – The coder thought.
He open Paint, and stare at the blank white screen.
What should I draw?
He imagined some monster. He drew a few lines. After 30 minutes, the would-be monster still looked like a composition of ugly shapes. Finally, he admitted that he just cannot draw it.

Do you have the same problem?
I am a coder, and in my first game I had this problem. However, I invented a method that can make a decent sprite in just 15 minutes, called “Photo Template Style”. You don’t need any art background but you have to work a bit to make an “Photo Template Style” art.

Read more at glintycreative.com/blog/?p=5

UPDATE: Final part has come out, Composition: A fun and efficient way to learn art
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:00:56 AM by glintycreative » Logged
glintycreative
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »

This is the first time I make a tutorial, so if you find the post confusing please tell me.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 12:28:59 AM »

I was hpint to see some actual drawing, not picture manipulations... But I wait for the next one. Smiley

Yeah.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »

Shit... really? lol

I know what your getting at with these tutorials, but may want to try figuring out the same easy process for characters (as im sure, that's what people who are coming to this thread is hoping to find)

glintycreative
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »

Kyle, I plan to make a tutorial about making simple monster sprites. Making a character sprite is similar to making a monster sprite, so I hope you will find Part II helpful.

Part II
Quick art for programmers: Make a simple monster sprite
http://www.glintycreative.com/blog/?p=43
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:56 AM »

While I think the art style you've devised is adorable, it's much too specific to be of use to anyone. As annoying as it is, pixel art is probably best learned from the basics, not quick fixes. But I'd still like to see a game made completely using this art style...

Ingenoire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »

The artstyle (especially the monsters) reminds me a lot of a show called Angela Anaconda...

...I'm interested in seeing how creating a character would look like in this artstyle.

glintycreative
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »

Part III
Quick art for programmers: Make a simple wall sprite
glintycreative.com/blog/?p=83
glintycreative
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:58:56 AM »

Final part
Composition: A fun and efficient way to learn art
http://www.glintycreative.com/blog/?p=110
HopelessComposer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »

Nice little tutorial. Good, simple ways to get quick assets into your game. =)
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »

I just love it. So funny.
cloudyheaven
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »

Was really interested in checking out these tutorials, but when I click the links I'm getting 404 errors.  Is it just me, or can anyone else access them?

Learn how to start your game business and release your first game at amzn.to/1Pelgvk
JWK5
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 02:39:19 PM »

Hmmmm... maybe I will have to try my hand at creating a tutorial along these lines since this one appears to be dead.

EDIT: I opted out of speedy programmer art tutorials for functional/contextual programmer art tutorials instead.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:47:48 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic