Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:51:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAny ideas for where to post a web demo?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any ideas for where to post a web demo?  (Read 1026 times)
doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »

Question for those who play browser games:

Our game has been out for a while, as a standalone app for desktops and tablets - but since it was written in Flash, it was really easy to set up a web build as well. So now we have a web demo version, too, that people can play in the browser, and it includes the first three levels and info on where to find the full game.

So I'm wondering, what are some good sites or places to post this kind of a browser demo? I'm wondering about places where limited demos are welcome, and not seen as inappropriate... Any ideas?

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »

As far as I know GameJolt allows you to upload any form of web based game as long as it is not offensive or such. Their only restriction is the game you upload is free and doesn't require payment to play/download (I am guessing your demo is free of course).

That said, itch.io does the same thing with a bit of monetization based on donation (though I think you can turn that off). You can upload any type of game in there (as far as I read on their terms and conditions) and you can setup that you require payment or not. They support web and download (just like GameJolt).

Finally there are the flash portals but I haven't dug deep into how things go with them -- Kongregate is an example.

Another thing but this isn't a portal or website is hosting it yourself through Dropbox for example. But for it to act as a web game, you'd need to keep/create a folder named "Public" and put the game inside it. Then share the link to the game's page (for example, if the game is run through index.html, then the link to that file).

Hope that helps in anyway.

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »

I've seen people use the public folder in dropbox to make little html pages to embed web accessible games

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:22:23 PM »

Hey, thanks for the GameJolt and itch.io ideas! Those sound like good matches for something like that.

Kong might work too, I'll have to research more if their players will like a demo, or if it's a site with full games only...

As for hosting - that's one part we've solved already, I have everything set up on Google Cloud Services, ready to go. Check it out if you'd like! 1849 Web Demo

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »

... and just to document what I found:
1. itch.io was super easy to get set up on, and we're live (at 1849-demo)!
2. gamejolt explicitly disallows demos that aren't full versions of games, so we didn't set up there. Unfortunately you have to register and start the "create new game" flow, before they tell you that.

Hope this helps someone trying to do a similar thing in the future!

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »

Hmm... strange... I am using GameJolt for my demo.

My game isn't finished and I have my demo there uploaded. In fact when you start the "Create Game" thing you can select that your game is still WIP.

Dissident Dan
Level 0

Be different. Wear a watermelon.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »

I'm using Amazon S3. I was already using Amazon AWS for my Perforce server, so it was super simple to set up.

Run with scissors.
www.PaperboundGame.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic