Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:40:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)From Unity to Unreal Engine 4
Poll
Question: Did you really start using Unreal Engine 4?
Stayed with Unity
Stayed with UE
Moved from UE to Unity
Moved from Unity to UE
Using both Unity and UE

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: From Unity to Unreal Engine 4  (Read 3583 times)
selvin
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2014, 05:14:03 AM »

Hi there,

in the past few months I have been away from the game dev industry and I'd like to catch up a bit.

I left when everybody was saying how UE4 with its price model was a much better alternative to Unity.

My question to you is not on the differences between UE4 and Unity (there are plenty of blogs on the topic), but if you, indeed, moved from Unity to UE4.

Beer!

nesis
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:21:55 AM »

I wouldn't say it's a case of always using one or always using the other.

Unity is still faster for me to prototype things. I use it for gamejams and 2D stuff.

UE4 I use for realistic real-time rendering and, incidental to that, creating complex systems that it's engine would handle better than Unity because of being tied in with a large number of real-time assets.
Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »

Currently using both.

I'm more experienced with Unity as I've got years of experience, but UE4 looks great and the pricing is so low that I'm investing some time in learning it as well. I hope Unity will drop their prices accordingly, it's quite pricey now compared to UE if you want to publish on multiple platforms

selvin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »

Yeah, I can see cases whereas the choice depends on the type of project, I just wanted to get an overall feeling from the community and it looks like so far most of the users stayed with Unity which is what I thought and I would do.

If I will have time I will too invest some time in learning UE4 but it is not a priority.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:29:16 AM »

Answer F: None of the Above.

I really need to fire up unity again and give it another go, haven't used it since 4..

KyTn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 12:50:20 AM »

Well,

In one hand Unity rules: fast prototyping, porting to several platforms, components oriented, C#, Boo and Javascript...
In other hand, Unreal Engine 4 is more professional in all aspects.

Now, im working on Ninja Code Studio in a game named Space Crew, with Unity. But we are thinking to change in future proyects.
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 04:24:55 AM »

I'll be more inclined to use UE4 once a proper 2D framework is introduced. I know the guys over at unikronsoftware.com recently polled for interest in porting their 2D Toolkit framework to UE4. I'd be interested in checking that out if it ever happened.

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 06:43:15 AM »

Now, im working on Ninja Code Studio in a game named Space Crew, with Unity. But we are thinking to change in future proyects.
Why? Since you said Unity is good?
I'm on another fence C++ (SDL+OpenGL) and thinking of switching to Unity3D (but geeez, learning new stuff once again).

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
selvin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »

Why? Since you said Unity is good?
I'm on another fence C++ (SDL+OpenGL) and thinking of switching to Unity3D (but geeez, learning new stuff once again).

That is the point, mostly stayed with Unity because I assume they are more productive...
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »

I tried out UE4.  Obviously, the rendering is better (although Unity 5 looks like it might be in a similarish ballpark), but I found the workflow to completely tedious and cumbersome. I imagine that for a medium sized team on up, it might be better as each job can learn their own workflow, but for just me, Unity seems much better.
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 10:39:19 AM »

In my Devblog I talked about swapping quite a bit.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40346.msg1018304#msg1018304

I actually swapped for about 2 months and was pretty easy to move over (I am early in the project) but eventually found some blockers, bugs, and work challenges that made Unity the better choice so moved the project back to Unity.

Infernohawke Entertainment
Benjamin385
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »

I was with Unity3D switched over to Unreal Engine 4.

Epic can take my money. The support they provide is beyond words awesome.

This blog can tell you more Smiley

http://martiancraft.com/blog/2014/08/an-unreal-decision/
selvin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »

Interesting reading, thanks for sharing.
Jabberwocky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »

+1.  Fantastic blog.

It took a a couple of months and required exuberant lobbying by certain members of the team for me to authorize the switch.

I think you handled this correctly.  You should require some pretty heavy convincing to make such a major shift in tech. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic