Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:01:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)You have four colours
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: You have four colours  (Read 4785 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »

When PC machines with CGA Graphics adaptors first appeared, games were now able to display graphics in 320 x 200 resolution with 4 colours. Unfortunately due to technical issues there were only a few palette choices and the most commonly used one was Black, White, Cyan, and Magenta:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGA_graphics

This was not the best colour choice for games..

So imagine if we could go back to that time and you had to create a palette of only four colours that would be used by all the games created for that machine for the next few years. What colours would you choose? And why? Smiley
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »

Looking forward to the results Wink

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »

Well as you're doing a 4 colour game here Eigen, you are the inspiration for us all! Wink
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »

I'd probably use Eigen's =P

In a more realistic situation, I'd probably just go with grayshade, 4 colors is too few and if you can't choose the palette freely I'd rather go with monochrome than with a probably useless palette.

Worth noting that the CGA was like that because of how the colors were wired: the two bits of each pixel mapped to the red and green components, while blue and intensity were the same for all colors. The exception to this was color 0, which could be changed to any of the 16 colors the CGA supported.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »

Heh, thanks. But it's interesting. The original CGA is no doubt the worst 4 color in the world, ever (both version). The main problem in my eyes is the gamut of contrast and saturation. But when you start to think what would fit most use cases you'll be stumped. It'd be easier to just go monochromatic or even grayscale. But yeah, I think I've arrived at a pretty decent set of colors with Pioneers.

It looks somewhat decent it many cases:

But it looks terrible with lots of dithering happening.

For something more generic I would go with a monochromatic palette akin to the original Gameboy. Sepia works best for some reason. Because of old photographs, maybe. We're used to seeing it more often?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:51:48 AM by Eigen » Logged

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »

I disagree on the dithering thing, it looks fine.

Also worth noting that on the CGA cyan and magenta are not 00FFFF and FF00FF, they're 55FFFF and FF55FF (this is because the intensity bit adds 1/3 to all three components). That makes them somewhat more bearable... not by much though (the dark colors are 00AAAA, AA00AA and AAAAAA, if you wonder).
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »

They do look great Eigen!  Gentleman
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »

Monochrome is probably the best option, but the Pioneers palette also works great because each color meshes well. Personally, I'd go with a deep purple to yellow-white ramp. I just picked these colors haphazardly so they're not properly spaced, but it should give you an idea what I mean:

Also, most of the GB-in-GBC palettes work well, except the funky B+direction ones anyway. I'm partial to the weird cyan-yellow-white one though.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »

Yeah, it looks really good. I would just desaturate the red a bit because when you use it to fill larger areas it becomes too strong. Similarily using blue-yellow contrast as base gives similar results.

Then again, this image is one of those cases where nearly everything looks good because it's clearly designed for CGA or at least it's been a concious consideration whereas that California Games one isn't.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:41:18 AM by Eigen » Logged

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »

I also like blue and green, but with a light blue and a dark green. I've also gone with a slightly brown darkest colour and slightly yellow brightest colour:

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 11:30:40 AM »

At the time I would possibly gone for white, black and 2 grays. However, what about Black, Red, Green, Blue? You can composite various colors with pixel patterns like so:

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »

I'm not sure how well that work when you try to do shading or non-dithered details though?
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »

My eyes! Waaagh!

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »

Yes, things would be dithered, as they often were.

You'd have to get creative with your pixel art, but having that as one of the technical options would be great.

Here is a direct translation with a 2x2 grid. The white is the main issue but I'm sure it would work if you found the correct style. I suppose Black, White, Green and Red would be the 4 color choice here!

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »

How about what the Channel F did? That was white, blue, green and red.
cirpons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »

Guys youre forgetting that the cga had a hackish mode 3 and low saturation modes available. they look much more feasible in my opinion, shown in the top two panels. Below is my attempt.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »

I'd probably choose green, green, green, and green.

Unplayables
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »

Hmm that's really interesting. I've never realised they had all choices to choose from when they designed the system but it makes sense.
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »

Apparently with some scanline palette-swapping hackery CGA 4-colour-mode could do this:

And with some composite video hackery:

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »

That's clever!

Reminds me of the colour palette changing at various points down the screen in some Atari 800 games. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic