Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:18:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)You have four colours
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: You have four colours  (Read 4786 times)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »

The problem with PC is that it lacks proper timing mechanisms for doing raster effects so it's pretty unstable in practice. The best you can do is use the timers to trigger an IRQ after certain amount of time (resetting the timer every frame to prevent drifting) and even then whether you hit hblank or not is hit and miss.

See for example this:

The left portion of the scanline where the palette change happens is unstable, because that's where the CPU gets the interrupt and does the palette change. It isn't always during the blanking period =/ At least it's kind of hidden by the water moving up and down for starters.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 01:24:02 PM »

Ah I see.. The Atari had a chip for Display Line Interrupts so you could always change on the right scan line.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »

To be fair there's the fact that many programmers probably didn't even know you could do that, so it isn't hard to understand why they didn't try. The timing issue is at worst a flickering scanline (as long as you reset the timer every frame), so as long as you account for that it isn't really bad.

Do any CGA games besides California Games do raster effects, though? I knew about California Games already (good to know it wasn't just done in the title screen), but I can't think of any other game doing it.
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »

That makes sense but imagine even if you knew about it, what would the art pipeline look like? You'd probably need some new tools. We have similar problems nowadays. Here's a cool effect, you could make a game around it... or make a game with an established framework/style and lower engine costs.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »

Honestly in this case you could probably just make the artwork in grayscale and be careful to not cross the relevant lines. I think it's more a case of programmers not being given enough time to learn more than the basics of the hardware... (also that many features didn't work properly in clone hardware, e.g. custom EGA palettes didn't work in many EGA clones, so they were avoided usually)
Blambo
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »

Apparently with some scanline palette-swapping hackery CGA 4-colour-mode could do this:

And with some composite video hackery:

more like BORE colors.

but actually that's super cool and clever
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic