Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:33:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSamudai Acro-cats
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Samudai Acro-cats  (Read 5502 times)
Naishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:23:37 AM »

Hey guys, we are a new company called Geek Sloth Games working on our first game called Samudai. We just want to share what we are doing and maybe get some feedback along the way Wink

Title: Samudai
Platforms: Win/Mac/possibly others
Engine: Unity3D
Genre: 2D Arena Brawler
Facebook: Facebook.com/geekslothgames
Twitter: twitter.com/geekslothgames
IndieDB: indiedb.com/games/samudai

Samudai is a 2D brawler set in a distant realm.

Every ten Thousand years the Gods wage war for the possesion of the Holy Ball of Yarn.
Chosing skilled warriors to represent them,
these Samudai are strengthend by the gods and given power over the elements.

To reach the Holy Ball of Yarn the Samudai must fight each other throughout
different unique stages to ultimatly face their biggest threath,
claim the Holy Ball of Yarn and settle the balance between good and evil.

Steam Greenlight

We are currently on Steam Greenlight and we could use all the help we can get!

http://tinyurl.com/Samudai

Gameplay

The gameplay of Samudai consists of fast paced arena action where you try to push you opponent out of the screen or into hazards.

Both players start in the middle of 7 stages, the Waterfall stage. The stages represent different parts of a mountain and both players must try to reach their respective end stage. The good characters go to the right after winning, ascending the mountain while the evil characters try to descend it.

Samudai is local 2D versus game where gameplay is inspired by games such as Super Smash Brothers whereas you don't defeat your opponent by hitting them but rather outmaneuver them to either knock him off the stage or into hazards.
The objective is to keep winning, facing your opponent through multiple dynamic stages which will culminate in a final battle with the losing player turning into a Boss.

Stage Design

We want to give each stage a unique style and feel as well as a different hazard next to simply hitting your opponent out of the screen.

The first stage is the Waterfall stage:

The Waterfall stage is probably one of the hardest stages as the entire bottom is hazardous. Players can maneuvre over logs that come down the Waterfall and have a rock to rest on at the right and left side.

We made this stage hard op purpose to start the game off sooner. We knew people would probably see this stage the so we didnt want the fights to last very long here.

We did however made it so that a skilled player would have no trouble maneuvreing the terrain.

Our second stage is the Lava cave:

This stage is the 5th stage in line and players will go there if the Hero won the previous round. This stage has physics based ropes on the wooden bridges and rising lava making it a dynamic stage to play in. The stage is constantly changing and the player needs to adapt to survive here.

Our third stage, The Sakura Meadow:

If the Villain wins and both players decend the mountain the first stage they find is the Sakura Meadow. This stage has an added gameplay mechanic in wind. Strong gusts of wind alternate between the top and bottom half of the screen. Being caught in one of the gusts will push players towards the edge of the screen making them easy targets to hit out of the stage.

The Art style for all the stages is based on old Japanese paintings from the Edo period mixed with a more cartoonish style. We just felt that it would be a really cool style to try and pull off and we like to think we did  Wink Please note that the stages shown here are all mockup images and will be changed when implemented into the game.

(Ill add some more of the stage designs later)

Characters

At first we started out with a more traditional aproach to the characters making them black with a ink texture to make it look that they where ancient beings straight out of a old scroll or book. This was also because we wanted to make them completely emotionless, serving solely as an avatar of the gods.

After playtest sessions and feedback we found that the characters could be improved upon, both in looks and in background so we decided to give them a complete overhaul.

One of the first things that we wanted to change was visibility. Because most of our backgrounds have darker colors it became increasingly hard to distinguish the characters from the scene. This also helped with the second problem which was that people had trouble staying focused on their own character when they did some fast combat maneuvers. Adding the color of the respective character's element with a bigger white outline changed that while still holding on to that traditional inky look of the old animations.

While our lead desinger was redoing all the characters he decided to build upon what he had learned so far to animate them even better and give each of them a sort of peronality. In the final animations that we are implementing now, everything is really dynamic and flows together.

We are aiming for four characters in the initial release of the game with possible more coming later.

Here are some of the ingame sprites UPDATE: We just uploaded our latest character, Akashi. He is the second character for the Evil side and will be playable in the full version of the game. What do you guys think?

UPDATE, 12-08-2014: To make Samudai more exciting we added the ability for the losing character to transform into a giant boss version of himself. You may have seen some of them in one of our trailers or posts but now these bosses are completly redone to match the new style, including color and new animations.

We are currently working overtime to implement all the new animations and stages but are making good progress.
We released some Demo’s in the past to get user feedback which really helped a lot. You can ofcourse still download these but they are so far appart from what we have right now that it would probably give you a bad first impression.
We are however planning on releasing one last Demo before the game comes out so ill be sure to give you guys a heads up when it’s time Wink

Music
For the music and soundscape of Samudai, we use the gifted Barry Pietersen  

He really tried to implement the old japanese style with a more modern approach.
Listen to some of the music here:
https://soundcloud.com/barry-pietersen/sets/samudai-music-teasers

Trailer

Check out our latest trailer showing some of the new animations and art

For the full trailer check out this youtube link:

Conclusion

Finaly I would like to say that ill try to update the devlog everytime we have some new changes or want to talk about new stuff. Please give us any feedback that you can so we can make Samudai the best game it can be!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:45:44 AM by Naishin » Logged

We need your support on Steam Greenlight! : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=307537306
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:48:27 AM »

Very nice art!

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 04:01:39 AM »

yeah, art style's pretty fabulous.
spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 04:12:41 AM »

Nice concept! The name instantly made me think of Samurai Pizza Cats lol

Frank - GSG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 04:46:04 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Nice concept! The name instantly made me think of Samurai Pizza Cats lol

Nice to see it works!:D Our Geek Sloth team is very passionate about retro cartoons and we want to show that in every game we make.
Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:23:09 AM »

Ahh, remember reading about you guys on RPS (I think?) Looked good then, glad to see how it's coming along! The characters look awesome :D!

Thinkr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »

Awesome art style.

I make stuff.
Naishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »

Just updated our original post, we revealed our latest character Arashi. Any and all feedback is welcome!

We need your support on Steam Greenlight! : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=307537306
G.K
Level 0

@Buckgame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »

I'm really loving this art style.

The background design reminds me of Samurai Jack, which is one of my favorite shows.

Looking good, can't wait to see more.

Naishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »

Thanks for the interest everyone! We plan on updating the Devlog with new stuff frequently so be sure to check back sometimes Wink

Naishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 06:30:44 AM »

Just wanted to throw a question at you, we are (hopefully) done in not too long but I still think that the SFX should be redone. At this point they feel too flat compared to the artwork.

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience in that field and could show me the right direction. Do you make your SFX yourself? Is there a good program I should be using? or is there a good website that provides free SFX?

Thank you guys in advance!  Wink

Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »

Wow am I excited to get my hands on this title!  Is this ever pretty!

Good luck and I've got my eye on this post!

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
matriax
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »

Lovely art! and the gameplay looks fun, remember me the other samurai game with minimalistic-pixel graphics, but well with cats all is better Tongue
Naishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »

UPDATE, 12-08-2014: To make Samudai more exciting we added the ability for the losing character to transform into a giant boss version of himself. You may have seen some of them in one of our trailers or posts but now these bosses are completly redone to match the new style, including color and new animations. Again, any and all feedback is appreciated Wink

Naishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »

Hey everyone, even though Samudai is still in development we are finally on Steam Greenlight and we need your help! If you have two minutes to spare and access to a Steam account any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

DevWithoutACrew
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »

nice artwork and I'm a sucker for samurais (or samudais Tongue) voted yes!

Frank - GSG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »

nice artwork and I'm a sucker for samurais (or samudais Tongue) voted yes!

Thank you for your support! Let me know when I can return the favour :D Kagemusha looks promising!
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 07:01:41 PM »

Looks very nice already! Good luck guys! I'll give you a greenlight upvote.

Frank - GSG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »

Thanks! We're doing our best :D
Naishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »

Hey guys, hope everyone had a good Halloweekend! Wink

While everyone was trick or treating we finished up our Samudai Press Build! Tongue While we already send out copies to the press we also want to give some of you guys a copy to get more feedback. If it is something you would like to do, please go to our Steam Greenlight Page @ tinyurl.com/Samudai, possible vote for us Wink and let us know in the comments. Ill make sure to get back at you!

Thanks in advance!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic