Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:51:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessOffering Work - How To?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Offering Work - How To?  (Read 1565 times)
RinseWashrepeat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm currently at a point in making a game where I think I have something playable and, for a change, I'd like to make some money off of it. I'd like to actually 'launch' it rather than simply upload it to my online portfolio.

So, I need help with this. I need someone who can make some nice music and someone who can do the art for me. The thing is, I don't know how to go about getting people to help me on this game.

I'd love to pay them, but Lord knows if the thing will make any money. How do I go about offering people a cut of whatever the game makes without ending up on https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt

Is it OK to say 'if it makes money, I promise you X amount'? Any advice on how to not look like a dick when trying to get people on board your project?

dhondon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »

As long as you are clear about it beeing a rev-share deal ( with a decent percentage), it should be no prob.
And do not contact freelancers who have makes it clear the are only interested in paid work ( this type of deals are not not concidered paid for people who are making a living doing game art) Smiley

Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »

Doing a "I'll pay you if it makes money," is certainly not unheard of and is better than "you're doing this project for me for free." If you approach them with humility as you did in your post and you're not arrogantly telling them it's a great "opportunity," I don't see there being too much of a problem.

Just be mindful that people will only want to invest their time and efforts into your project if you can sell them on it. If you don't have a very specific and clear end result and are not very confident in your own development, it will send red flags up for the few people who are usually willing to do work for a return upon release.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:06:14 PM by Zogthor » Logged

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »

Be up front. Revenue share in place of regular payment is a dealbreaker for many, but nobody is going to blacklist you if you're polite and forthcoming.

RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »

how to not look like a dick when trying to get people on board your project?

Never tell them that it is an opportunity "to gain experience".

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 02:48:49 PM »

speaking as a freelancer who has too often been asked for free work: you need to both be honest and fair. don't profit off of someone's hard work without them being able to do the same.

that's all! honesty and fairness is all that matters for profit share deals. as long as you make them understand the risks inherent in working with you then you've been upfront enough for it all to be okay.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »

Rev share is ok. Just be upfront about it.

You're a dick only if
1. you claim that you're doing them a favor.
2. you come forth with an idea and expect someone else to flesh it out.
3. you set the terms so that you can cut loose from the project without paying them anything.
4. you hold strong attachment to ideas, and bring along things like NDAs. or if you try to hire people without telling them what the project is about. idea guys are lynched.
5. you expect them to take more risk than you.
6. you look for the best talent but don't have the best budget.

If you want to sweeten the deal, offer an initial deposit of like $50 or something so that they don't lose anything should you choose to bail out.

If the idea is really really really really good, then someone will throw money at you to make it. If you're doing rev share with an idea that can change the world, there's something fishy going on.
ModalModule
Level 0

Composer for hire!! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 11:52:50 PM »

I'll do the music, I am looking for a game to get my feet wet, and it sounds like we're at about the same place in our passions. Tell me about the game!

Composer for hire! If you need music, of any kind, email: [email protected]
Current OSTs: http://modalmodule.bandcamp.com
My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/stephan-kalani-seguin
My YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/Kalaniseguin
RinseWashrepeat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 05:31:27 AM »

All good advice. Thanks people.

I've ensured my humility and honesty levels are at maximum. The idea that I'm doing anyone a 'favour' by having them help ME out is laughable.

I've had some positive results from simply being honest and upfront. I've also had people turn me down, but that's to be expected. I wished them well and said I'd keep them in mind should I have a project that actually has a budget.

Being nice seems to go a long way.  Smiley

Oguz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »

how to not look like a dick when trying to get people on board your project?

Never tell them that it is an opportunity "to gain experience".

+1

Honesty goes a long way, and it's good to make sure that no one feels like they are being used.

rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »

In terms of humility, my pet peeve is I see posts where someone is looking for an artist or programmer and will list the qualifications to work for them, but it seems they take it for granted that they themselves are qualified.

If there's no guarantee of money, I think you need to convince me that I could make a better game working with you than I could make on my own. I want to hear about your skills, what games have you made. It may seem counter-intuitive to list these things to show your humility, but the alternative is that you think it's obvious why I would want to work with you.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic