Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:19:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHard Lander. local multiplayer physics-based rocket wrestling!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hard Lander. local multiplayer physics-based rocket wrestling!  (Read 4720 times)
soulareus
Level 0

Making exciting little worlds

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »

Hard Lander is the worlds first physics based rocket wrestling game.  It is best played with 4 people on your couch in front of a TV.

Each level has different a different hazard which requires different thinking and strategies to be the last lander alive.

• There is currently 8 multiplayer levels that vary widely.  Some interesting levels have: Zero gravity, asteroids, controllable laser pads, screen wrapping, a space station that can bee activated to shoot 3 lazers, and a sumo map where you have to push your opponents out of the ring.
  • Currently the game has 40 one player levels where you pilot a rocket ship in small spaces in normal gravity.  This mode is very hard and serves as a practice for when your don't have any friends over.

This game has been greenlit! and we are finishing it up for an early access release very soon: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=279815737

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:46:35 PM by soulareus » Logged
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:31:42 PM »

I am currently Adding more control over the lasers in Laser Lab.  Think of the laser lab as a king of the hill multiplayer map;  If the hill had a giant instakill lazer on the top of it!  Your position on the pad, directly dictates the angle the lazer is pointing.  Oh and if you haven't played the game, the red ship is sliding along the ground using an advanced thrusting technique called a crab walk.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:35:52 PM by soulareus » Logged
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »

Fresh from showing at PAX Prime, the new show build is now available!  If you have an itch for super competitive local multiplayer games, you owe it to yourself to check it out!  Version 0.84 continues on the competitive vision of hard lander by giving you more control over the environment as you master your piloting skills. 

In the level Death Sphere, you can turn on up to 3 lasers and by touching the activation pads.  You can then proceed to get the sphere spinning by hitting the protruding laser canon with the back of your ship just right, all but ensuring a full screen wipe of your upset but impressed opponents.

Continue on to laser lab where you can precisely control the direction of a mounted laser beam based on your position on the laser pad.  If you've mastered the crab walk (which is shown in the first challange level) you will be able to slide across the pad, sweeping the entire bottom of the level.  But watch out because an observant player may be up to your tricks and screen wrap on top of you before you ensure your victory.

soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 12:06:50 PM »

Just published to Steam Greenlight!  Let the popularity contest begin!  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/stats/279815737 If you feel up to it, and it looks like something you would like to play with your friends give it a vote. WTF

Durring pax, which doubled as an amazing volume of playtesting, I noticed a couple bugs.
1) rarely in 4 player 2 ships will spawn at the same place either destroying each other instantly or going into a thelma and loise style barrel roll off a cliff or into a wall

2) On Asteroids, there is one asteroid that has a collider that is too big for the graphic.

I will work on fixing both of these this week.

3)I noticed another issue which isn't a bug but that I want to address.  In the level asteroids, there are nothing but rocks flying around and other players.  If the players are playing defensive they won't move much, which happens a lot with new players.  As a result sometimes the level goes on too long, way longer then most of the other levels.  I got this feedback from CGDC but It didn't sink in until I saw it at PAX.  I was thinking that I could make asteroids fly in from no where after a set time but then I would have to make an alert system so you knew it was coming, and that might take a bit of work.  I always try to fix a problem in the least amount of work.  It's probably due to laziness but it makes me feel better to think of it as a Occam's Razor kind of thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor).  
  The solution I am going to try is to have the large center asteroid look like it's modded out with some metal lazers or something.  Then put a few lights on it.  When all the lights turn on, then a few lazers will turn on.  The lasers use raycasting so they will hit other asteroids and hopefully it looks cool and will effectively shorten the level by introducing more challenge after a time.  It will also make the level a bit more dynamic.

Here's a picture of the troublesome asteroid level:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:29:07 PM by soulareus » Logged
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 03:27:27 PM »

I just finished version 0.85.  

Level changes
  This build removes slow mo from the SUMO level which allows some different stratagies such as shoving like this!

A little bit of explanation of how Slowmo works is needed.  In most levels once a player wins by being the last person standing, there is a slow mo that lasts a couple seconds.  This is fun because it adds a bit of punch to the victory, but also because if you die during this slow mo the round is a tie.  This gives other players that would have lost something to root for and causes lots of cheering at the expense of the might be winner which makes the game more fun.  

However, in Sumo it's fun to be able to push the player out of the ring.  However, with Slowmo on this almost always resulted in a tie.  This is possible because in Sumo ship to ship destruction is disabled so pushing is a valid option.  I think this makes the level a lot more fun and interesting.

Gameplay changes
  Hard Lander has always been a bit top-heavy.  This can be fun because it requires a high level of skill to balance without crashing.  However durring playtesting I realized that this makes the learning curve a bit too high for new players.  So I reduced the mass of the top of the ship by 30%.  This changes the ship behavior in two ways:
  • The ship how has a lower center of gravity.  This means that it will very slightly self balance when you are pointing up.  So if you are pointing straight up you will not tip over.  Hopefully this makes it a little easier to get over the first hump of the learning curve which is not tipping over.  Landing is now a 'tiny' bit easier as well.
  • Since the ship is a bit lighter you can now turn a bit faster and accelerate faster.  This is more fun for advanced players as you feel more nimble.  Make no mistake, this game is still very hard to master and is very satisfying to fly once you get the hang of it.

Bug Fixes:
  • pesky asteroid collider fixed.

If you have friends who like competitive couch-gaming, consider supporting us on greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=279815737

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:55:52 PM by soulareus » Logged
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »

Wow, this has been an awesome week!  OUYA did an OUYA presents video which does a better job of explaining the game than I ever could, and Hard Lander was featured on Indiegames.com!  Indiegames.com has been a long time favorite games blog for me so it was really cool to see my game featured!

Indiegames.com coverage: http://indiegames.com/2014/09/competitive_party_game_hard_la.html

Currently I am working on making the asteroids in the Asteroids level procedurally generated to add more exciting possibilities to this zero gravity rock bumping level and make each round feel fresh!
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:10 PM »

I added procedurally generated asteroids!  It makes the asteroids level much more interesting.  I will probably add the chance for more interesting things like lazer satalites or magnetic probes or something later.  Either way, never see the same Asteroids level twice!

The size, orientation, initial rotation, direction, and mass of the asteroids are generated each round.  The mass is based on the size of the asteroid so smaller ones will be easy to push around.  Currently the altorithm is based on size.  It feels pretty good.  I wonder if the most accurate mass algorithm would be something like size3 or something.  Dunno, what do you guys think?

For anyone interested in the positioning algorithm, here is what I did.  First I pick a random number between 0 and 13.  that is how many asteroids can show up for this round.  Then I randomize the size between two constants.  Then I check at random points withing the screen dimensions to see where I can put an asteroid where it won't cause trouble.  If the space is clear then I generate the asteroid.  If not, I go through the loop again with a different set of data.  To check if a position is clear I use a sphere check to make sure it did not collide with another asteroid.  If it did it would send them both flying away at warp speed causing a chain reaction with the other objects turning the asteroid field into grenade shrapnel and the round would end in a very explosive tie.  The sphere check has it's size modified to the size of the asteroid to make sure that we are checking the bounds properly.  I could have just used the maximum size of an asteroid to do my sphere checks but then the generation wouldn't be as dynamic and random.  For instance you would never see three tiny asteroids sitting next to each other.  I wanted the spawn points to be protected too, so players didn't spawn inside a giant rock.  In order to do this I put a collider around the start point flagged as a trigger so that nothing would collide with it but the sphere check.  I also had to mask out some other triggers I was using for gameplay reasons.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:53:45 AM by soulareus » Logged
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »

I'm prototyping a new level I'm calling teeter-totter.  It's going to be a roundish level with a center pivot, free spinning platform in the middle of the screen which can be manipulated to mess with your opponents.  I like how the platform balances if no one takes off, since the spawns are equidistant along the platform.  Once one person lifts off however it will start to tip.  There are many possibilities for interesting interactions.  For instance you can continually screen wrap vertically trying to get the platform spinning faster and faster but avoiding the wall.  You can hit the platform from the bottom, or use it to smack your opponent into a wall.  I haven't been able to play test this yet with 4 players but I am hoping that it's fun.  If so I will continue to refine it.

soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »

I got a chance to show Hard lander at the first Eugene, Oregon #igcon.  It was a ton of fun and all four controllers were occupied nearly the whole time!  Some people were playing for hours at a time.  I got some good feedback and encouragement.

If you are around LA this next weekend attending IndieCade, be sure to come down and play some Hard Lander with me at the OUYA booth.  I would love to see what you guys think!

I added a few new things recently.  I added a laser equipped asteroids that can spawn (rarely).  I also added a reward for going very fast on graveyard;  If you get over 700 kph you will spawn floor clearing concussion bombs to get rid of those pesky squatters!

That's all for now, thanks!
-Nic

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:47 AM »

Hard Lander is looking very cool!

Can't wait to try this for some local MP. I think the decision to adjust the weighting of the rockets in favor of accessibility/lower learning curve is a good one, because in my experience that tends to be a huge factor for local MP games intended for more than 2 players.
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »

Updated the teeter-totter prototype level.  I need to do more play-testing but I like this look better.  Also the hole in the middle gives some opportunity for slick evasion for the nimble pilot.  I enclosed the level to make the rotating platform more important since you can't escape it.  In previous play-testing people would quickly fly away from the platform.  Now positioning is much more important.  In the image that follows, the surface is balanced until one sprightly rocket ship takes off and it starts tipping to the left.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:02:59 PM by soulareus » Logged
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »

Hard Lander is looking very cool!

Can't wait to try this for some local MP. I think the decision to adjust the weighting of the rockets in favor of accessibility/lower learning curve is a good one, because in my experience that tends to be a huge factor for local MP games intended for more than 2 players.

Thanks Low_Chance!  I think you are right.  I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to changing the fundamental balance of the ships, since I love the challenge and competitive nature of the game when it's hard.  So it took me a few shows to realize that making the initial flight more accessible to new players was the right move.  After making the change, the ships were a little more maneuverable and a bit faster so it seems to work better for all players involved.  You make a good point about balancing difficulty for >2 players.
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »

Hard Lander is included in the latest IndieRoyale bundle! 

I'm pretty excited about it.  It's also really helped the Steam page.  Today is the second best day of traffic since I launched on greenlight.  If you would like to check the game out, and especially if you have friends coming over this weekend who like to get a little punchy, you can get it for pennies along with some other cool looking games.

Also, I'm about to build a new version of the game with all the cool stuff I've posted about previously!  Woohoo!

http://indiegames.com/2011/10/26/indie%20royale.jpg[/img]]http://www.indieroyale.com/?royale=183

soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 01:09:40 AM »

I've recently reworked the "screen wrapping" code to work better.  Previously I used 4 triggers to detect when an object had left the screen and then transported them based on position.  This worked until I started adding larger items that needed to wrap when they were futher outside of the screen.  I solved this by adding a second set of triggers that were further out and only responded to items with a "largeObjects" tag.  This worked fine for a while, however, after I added more procedurally generated content, some items would stay in "limbo" for a little too long.

I finally reworked the wrapping to work the instant an object stopped being rendered using this nice guide here:  http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/create-an-asteroids-like-screen-wrapping-effect-with-unity--gamedev-15055 .  Thanks Damir!  For added bonus, now I can play the game in wierd screen sizes, as shown in the above image, which is kind of fun.

I have added some surprises to the procedurally generated asteroids level such as:
1) a gravity probe which pulls ships and asteroids towards it's center.
2) a lazer probe which turns on after a set time
3) previously mentioned asteroids with friggin lazers!
4) soon to be adding a meteor shower to clear out those boring players that just want to sit and spin cautiosly :D

soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »

New Teeter totter prototype!

I playtested the previous version at Indiecade and it was a little too difficult with walls around the platform, especially for new players.  At the same time, I didn't want to have too many places where players could hide from the platforms as that's the main theme of the level.  In the new version there are no walls or floors but I added a second rotating platform.  The level becomes quite dynamic and I found that people could use different stratagies to win.  For instance, while showing at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo some people did a controlled fall to get the wheels turning quickly while others would hover towards the bottom of the screen in the "safe" zone.  So far this is easily the best version of the level.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:58:43 PM by soulareus » Logged
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »

New Level features ship weapons!  

(New Weapon)
  I have created an option to allow ships to fire a spectacular laser beam at your friends!  Originally I tested the new ship lasers firing the whole time.  However, this caused a few degenerate strategies (behaviors that are effective but not fun) such as doing a flip when you first spawn which was surprisingly effective at wiping out most of the opponents.  I could have just made a button to fire the weapon, but the game is hard enough, and I don't want to add any more buttons that add to the initial complication.  Also, people would just hold that button down.  

The solution I found was pairing the weapon fire to the thrust trigger when it is pushed all the way down (thrust is force sensitive).  This created a better Risk-Reward system since in order to fire, you have to be accelerating quickly at an opponent.  A skilled player can still sweep the map by spinning, but it now requires you to push the "pedal to the medal" which is a much more difficult maneuver.  Also, now since shooting the weapon has implications on movement, players are not constantly spamming the laser, which makes for much more exciting skill shots.  Also, it feels much better because the feedback loop for destroying an opponent is much more satisfying.

I really love this solution because it doesn't add any buttons to the game, and is much better for it.

(new level)
  When you can instantly destroy a player in one hit, it becomes immediately apparent that the level needs to be designed to give cover.  I'm still playing with the layout but the current version works pretty good.  The screen wrapping gives opportunities to get a jump on your opponents while giving you cover from the lasers so I've tried to use this when setting up the start points for each ship.  I want to make it so each ship has a way to escape if needed and has a little time to read the movement of other ships and pick a route to counter.  Ideally I would like the round to work out like a game of railgun speed-chess.  At least that's the idea.

If this game looks like something you might want to play, please consider voting on Greenlight.  I would love to be able to share this game with more people! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=279815737

This level is still being developed but the below image will give you an idea of what's going on.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:44:37 PM by soulareus » Logged
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »

HARD LANDER: VERSION 0.8 released!

The Latest version of Hard Lander has plenty to celebrate!  Two new levels, improved graphic fidelity and improved stability will keep the fun going long into the night.  So grab some friends and gather around your TV.

Teeter Totter

4 players face off against 2 teetering totters.   Get it spinning to smash your opponents into smithereens or try and stay out of harms way, it's your choice!

Laser Tag
  Blast your friends out of the sky in an instant with this levels new ship fired lasers!  To fire your weapon you must push your thrust all the way down meaning that shooting at the wrong time could mean kissing a wall.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=279815737
soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »

Here is an image from our new Art test.  
  It includes new Animations, art, and particles, and everything has been updated to 1080P.  The thrust of your ship now causes dust to fly around.  Also the thrust animation is much nicer and the length is relative the amount of thrust you are using (the thrust trigger is force sensitive).  I want to play around with having the force of your thruster effect the world around you.  That way you can push a player into the wall or knock a brick off a ledge with your thruster without even touching them.

soulareus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »

Some new art prototypes for existing levels. 

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »

hey this is shaping up!  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic