Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:18:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZarvot
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Zarvot  (Read 9396 times)
Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:15 PM »

I don't mind the minimalist style but the colors need more contrast.

Twitter @kircode | Speebot on Steam | Hypnorain on Steam | Kircode blog
SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »

Just wanted to do a quick update:

Rocket launcher! Just implemented.

Also presenting Zarvot tomorrow with the NYC Games Forum at Microsoft!

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »

Those particle effects of the rockets are amazing!
SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »

7 players! On one screen. It would be 8 but alas, I do not have that many controllers.

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 07:33:55 AM »

Added the Gatling Gun powerup!
The powerup art is not final. Just wanted to show it off. Oh, and slow-mo if it is the final kill in the round. Fancy, eh? Toggleable!

Still need to implement an ammo counter. Right now when you pick up the Gatling Gun it replaces your laser. You get 5 shots, and each shot is enough to kill a player. After it's all expended it switches back to your laser.

Technical:
The hardest part here was making the powerup play nicely replacing the Laser. What I did was have a special "powerup" slot in the player. If a powerup is equipped, then use that weapon, otherwise use the default weapon. This makes it modular enough that I could actually make a powerup for any weapon I have now, such as the CircleLaser or the Laser, or even the MissileLauncher. Perhaps a mode where players start with nothing, and must pick up weapons to use them!

vmenge
Level 0

Hobnail Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 08:15:15 AM »

Also presenting Zarvot tomorrow with the NYC Games Forum at Microsoft!
Curious, how did that go? Did you set up a booth with a playable version?

The powerup art is not final. Just wanted to show it off. Oh, and slow-mo if it is the final kill in the round. Fancy, eh? Toggleable!
Slow-mo looking nice. Good thing limiting it to the last kill. Any chance you could record a gameplay video with the 7 players in one screen?

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »

Thanks!

The thing at MS was Demo Night, so I actually went up to present my game to everyone for some amount of time.
I went pretty speedily but the feedback was very positive. I had 4 people come up and play two rounds, who have never played before.

It looked like they really enjoyed it!

I'm still trying to get some good trailer footage recorded, and definitely I'll show off some 8-player mayhem. Be sure, it's REALLY chaotic!!

And as a bonus picture, here is a map my friend has been working on. It is so far very fun to play on! I'll show the actual map in-game later Tongue

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »

This is looking awesome!  Beer!

Me and my friend play every local coop game we can find and this is just great.
Instant action, short games, destruction, many tools/weapons/things, skill.

Can't wait for earliest early access alpha demo. Although it seems this is already completely playable, so ...  Well, hello there!
SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »

This is looking awesome!  Beer!

Me and my friend play every local coop game we can find and this is just great.
Instant action, short games, destruction, many tools/weapons/things, skill.

Can't wait for earliest early access alpha demo. Although it seems this is already completely playable, so ...  Well, hello there!

Wow, thanks man! I can't give out any demo right now, but soon! You'll know about it Tongue

And as promised here was the map from my last post, in-game!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 07:31:49 AM »

I haven't had much time to update this thread because of school, but I've still been working hard on Zarvot.

Here's an image of capture the flag!
Well, it's not really a flag, but a glowing ball. You have to lead it to your base! It will follow behind you very slowly.

Gonna have to test this with some friends.

The things on the corners and the middle are different powerups :D
(not final art. but they also do spin is why they look off-axis.)

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »

I've been doing very regular updates to Zarvot, but haven't been documenting the process...
So incredibly busy all the time now! I've been working, going to school, and all that stuff. I categorize devlogging as "marketing" but truly I should try to do it more regularly.

Okay, so changes... there are a lot. I'll be documenting them in future posts.

For now, here's my trailer I made a month back! (And, does anybody know how to embed youtube videos?)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BDJSlzpIQGg

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 07:47:44 AM »

There's blocking now!
Players will just have to hold A+B to block.
There's about a second's worth of block so you can't hold it forever.

When blocking, you're invulnerable to EVERYTHING except the Circle.

This is an indirect buff to circle, as people weren't using it too much before.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 04:50:53 PM »

Looks fantastic! The graphics are simple but perfect and it looks like a ton of fun.
I'd offer to help but it sounds like you've got sound and music sorted?

The trailer sounded good but here's my two cents just in case it helps... I'd be going for futuristic, ambient, minimalist music using bright sounding vintage analog synths as background music (like some of the stuff you'd hear in Portal 2). I'd let the music subtly set the vibe and then let the sound fx drive the excitement and suspense. The music can become repetitive in these types of games if there is a focus on melody and an obvious repeating structure.

Looking forward to playing this! All the best!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »

Looks fantastic! The graphics are simple but perfect and it looks like a ton of fun.
I'd offer to help but it sounds like you've got sound and music sorted?

The trailer sounded good but here's my two cents just in case it helps... I'd be going for futuristic, ambient, minimalist music using bright sounding vintage analog synths as background music (like some of the stuff you'd hear in Portal 2). I'd let the music subtly set the vibe and then let the sound fx drive the excitement and suspense. The music can become repetitive in these types of games if there is a focus on melody and an obvious repeating structure.

Looking forward to playing this! All the best!

Hey man, thanks for the comment!
They're really appreciated! I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind. Still working out kinks in the sound :D

Anyways, new update: I added a tesla coil thing. No clue what to call it! It sucks in players and stuns them, making them unable to do anything for a second or so.

Also going to be at Microsoft NYC for the Games Forum's playtest night. If you see me, say hi!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »

Just showing off the new awesome shield, revamped now.
It'll take a couple of hits to break! Except Circle, of course, which will disable it in one hit.

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »

I just wanted to show off something really funny.

There was a bug that made players get smaller permanently. If you keep doing it, it puts the scale to negative, which eventually makes the players BIGGER!
I found it hilarious.

Bug's fixed, but now I'm going to put in a powerup that makes players bigger/smaller.

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »

New trailer!

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »

Really digging the trailer and simplistic style. It's very catchy and appealing, plus the game play looks very smooth.I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Keep up the good work mate.

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »

Really digging the trailer and simplistic style. It's very catchy and appealing, plus the game play looks very smooth.I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Keep up the good work mate.

Fun fact: almost all the players in my new trailer are AI!

Just sayin' :D

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 08:09:49 AM »

A fresh thumbnail gif, showcasing some ricochet action!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic