Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:01:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Flash Art Help.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash Art Help.  (Read 826 times)
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:04:15 AM »

After looking at different styles of art, I have decided to pursue a skill in flash art. When I say flash art, I mean of the style of such games as: The Binding of Isaac, Alien Hominid, and games of that type. I would like to know if there are any good tutorials out there. Also, what software/hardware is good for achieving this art style. Thanks!
hammeron-art
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:50:30 AM »

I suggest you forget about softwares and styles and learn how to draw.
Software is just the tool and style is what characterizes the final work, neither of them is the skill.

nilshier
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »

So classic cartoon art, basically?

The trick about good "flat" shaded art with thick out lines is that you need a very deep understanding of how the shape works in 3D! Because outlines is all you have, really, those lines have to be perfect. For example, even a shape as simple as Mickey Mouse has 3D geometry underneath it. There's at least a sphere and then some more complex ellipsoids forming the nose:

You can't just draw "a nose" and "a mouth", you always have to consider the whole body, perspective and proportions otherwise you end up with an unironic version of these "Dolan" comics.

That "flash style" usually just involves using rather thick outlines and variations in thickness to create a hint of light and shadow. The Binding of Isaac characters tend to look like simple doodles (and they are, for an experience artists) but they always keep a certain amount of perspective depth. Look at the shading in this picture, the way the mouth of the Duke of Flies is modeled or the way the shadow wraps around Isaac's eye, you can't achieve such a look without a feel for how those characters are shaped in three dimensions:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic