Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:46:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGender in character customisation?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gender in character customisation?  (Read 2486 times)
Snail_Man
Level 0

It's Snail_Man

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »

My very quick 2ยข, I obviously don't know because I'm not devving the game, but would a whole separate female body option really double the spritework? It seems to me that if you can customize the entire body (Hair, eyes, face, shirt, and pants), you'd only really need to double the shirt/torso sprites, as everything is fairly unisex. You can have the same options for hair for both genders, as some men wear their hair long, and some women cut it short.

If that really isn't an option, I suppose go with the androgynous option, and make it so the different types of hair insinuate all the difference, but that clearly isn't ideal.

Do it
Then do it right
Then do it well
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »

No need to modify the torso if we assume the breasts on a girl don't stand out noticeably =P (e.g. because she's wearing an armor that hides it anyway, or because her chest isn't large enough to show up noticeably, especially if the art style is simplified enough)

I'd say the face is a lot more sex specific. Heck, the face has the most distinguishing features between any two humans, period.
Unplayables
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 07:27:14 AM »

I think the most important thing when making something creatively is to consider two things: your own experience and your audience.

Everything you choose has an effect on how the game is perceived. Because computer simulations allow it, we tend to want to include everything, but that just makes the game look like everything. Most of the choices we make is that we avoid to dare to choose.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make a choice for one gender, either one. What feels appropriate for your game?

This is YOUR game, YOUR unique expression of the world. And in fact, just one such expression compared to the many that you may make in your life. What do you want it to say, today?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic