Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:58:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCutlet game engine (and an unnamed game, inspired by Fallout 2 and DA:O)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cutlet game engine (and an unnamed game, inspired by Fallout 2 and DA:O)  (Read 2488 times)
Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »

I've been working on a 3D game engine - Cutlet Engine. I've made a tile-based 3D world editor for it.

A lot of work went into the engine so far, although, unfortunately there is not much action to see yet. Hopefully it is alright for me to post this at such an early stage.

A rundown of my engine's map editor features (with more pretty pictures!)

The game that I'm making with this will be an RPG with a lot of focus on freedom of choice, dialogues, and tactical combat. The combat will be pausable, to give the player time to plan his actions (think Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age: Origins). I'm planning to have an open world set in a fictional modern-times anarcho-capitalistic state. The players will have the ability to train several skills, such as stealing and hacking. I want there to be many ways to finish quests with different endings.

I know this sounds ambitious, but I am confident in my programming skills. I'm not as experienced in modeling, though, so the graphics development is going slower.

Twitter @kircode | Speebot on Steam | Hypnorain on Steam | Kircode blog
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »

Be confident not in your skills but your willpower for projects of this scale
Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:52:49 AM »

Working on bone-animated models to game engine workflow. Here are some animations I did today:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:33:09 AM »

This sounds really interesting. Any particular reason you decided to go with AS3 and Air? Haxe might have been a good choice, considering how cross-platform and deployable it is.

Anyway, like Quarry said, this is going to be a massive undertaking, but it sounds like an interesting engine. Have you started any physics-related stuff yet?

Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »

This sounds really interesting. Any particular reason you decided to go with AS3 and Air? Haxe might have been a good choice, considering how cross-platform and deployable it is.

Anyway, like Quarry said, this is going to be a massive undertaking, but it sounds like an interesting engine. Have you started any physics-related stuff yet?

I've played around with Haxe but decided not to use it because it's still underdeveloped, lacks good support for 3D graphics and other features that Adobe AIR has. It's a powerful and underrated platform for both Windows and Mac.

I haven't implemented any physics here yet, they are not planned to be a part of the gameplay so that's not a priority right now. Thanks for the feedback.

Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 05:59:27 AM »

Made a walk cycle:

And then modeled a low-poly head:

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:36:30 AM »

It's like he's dragging himself uphill, relax that guy
Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »

Player model loading into the engine, customization of body parts, no lighting yet, no optimization yet:

Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »

Optimization, 90 men marching at a steady 60 fps:

And flat shading:

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »

give me

all of this

Andy Rhetoric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »

Very cool. I'm excited to see where you go with this.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic