Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:21:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOBS
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: OBS  (Read 7371 times)
Flex
Level 0

2D and 3D artist, Game dev when possible <3

View Profile WWW
OBS
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »

Hi !
OBS is a "thing" I've been working on this year as a school project. It began as a Unity scene where you can wander around and I'm trying to push it a bit further starting now since I'm away from Anarcute for a month.

The game itself is basically a myst-like. Though I try to keep the interaction limited to some elements like totems and buttons instead of all the things you can do in Myst and Riven. For the moment I really only have the basics in it. Consider that I'm starting from the bottom.
On the purpose of the game itself, I don't know at all where I'm heading. For the moment the main scene is a so-called "Home" focused on a calm and peacefull pace, the best place to start understanding the rules of the world.

I would say the main inspiration after Riven and Myst is Aliceffekt's games and work on making a small coherent foreign universe. I like the idea of setting simple rules that will challenge the player in understanding the whole world to go further.

This devlog will provide you in fancy images from the game and will as often as possible be about my tries on design. I will try not to show too much about the game interactions/features as it would spoil the game.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:17:08 AM by Flex » Logged

All the latest stuff is @FlexRoman
matriax
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »

Looks good, will be great some gif with the player walking and moving the head to see around it  Roll Eyes
nilshier
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »

Love the art style. That low poly aesthetic is really the freshest trend in indie graphics right now and you nailed it!

Still, a gameplay/mechanics example would be nice.  Smiley
Flex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »

There nilshier, have some let's consider this Day 1 :

I have set the first interaction thing a while ago. It's a totem you can rotate on left and right, giving binary codes. The first challenge set is opening this door here. The symbols are quiet easy to read once you know what is the interaction. (Click to see the details on the door).

I couldn't stop myself in making those fancy circles until I understood that to be read, every one of 'em needed to have a purpose. That's why I will have to redo/clean some of them. But here you go. Once you've openned this door, you know how this thing work for the next encounters, rules are established.
But having the same thing all the time isn't interesting, so let's get rid of some key elements like a clear interaction.

That way you can obtain surprise ! (I deleted the answer-sequence for you not to know)

And then you may see that there's nothing written on the door, that's another pre-established ruled to get rid off.

That's it for now. I hope to find new funny ideas around that in the next days. For the moment I'm focusing on some easier interactions with totems to be able to enjoy simplier things. I've also noticed that players usually enjoy being able to interact several times with the same elements so I'll probably add things that can be turned on/off at will. I'll hopefully also make something about the mood

Plus I have a shit ton of things to get rid off on my todo list, especially on readability.

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »

I really dig the look of this! I'll be following this one closely. :D

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »

Totally agree with @nilshier, you nailed the low poly art style and the color pallet is perfect. Watching

Suedeash
Level 0

That guy.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »

This looks insane. I'll definitely be watching this one closely!
whtrbt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 05:01:38 AM »

This is gorgeous! Teach me your ways.

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 05:37:10 AM »

I totally love the art.  Grin
expecting to read more on gameplay...

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »

Cool graphics - love low poly art. Not sure if you want to change the name because of the other OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).

Flex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »

Not sure if you want to change the name because of the other OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).

Yeah a friend of mine told me that a few weeks ago. OBS is a "more than a placeholder, less than a real thing" title. I hope I'll come with something as suitable in the following weeks.

Flex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »

Hi ! Day 2

Spent a lot of time on a friggin bridge. I have a small Island that I want to link a fancy way to the rest of home. I'm trying to find some architecture rules to make all the buildings and mechanisms.
It's mostly white hexagonal rocky blocks. The main shape is expressed by some golden rings or thin forms. Finally some mechanisms are visible on the bottom or backside of the structure. I should be able to do it again for the next things to interact with, especially the totems I want to redesign.

Tomorrow will be about adding the bridge to the scene and cleaning up scripts. There might be less to show

RecidivistSW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »

What is you process/work flow for building that bridge / dome thing? Hand Thumbs Up Right

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 02:47:58 AM »

Splendid colors in the screens with the orange and red trees. The environment really looks amazing. And that arc across the Sky is particularly nice touch, especially when the concentric circular patterns are seen repeated on the pillars ! 

Looking forward to more updates.

andreasng
Level 0

Lead Animator at Playdead - creators of Limbo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 04:36:23 AM »

beautiful style. the sky is fantastic. Love lopo.

Flex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »

Hi ! Day 3 :

Spent this evening working on implementing the bridge. It was time for me to learn some unity functions to make this thing work properly.

It's the first time I'm showing a basic interaction in the game. The only one for the moment, more coming when I'm done with a small UI thing. But as you can see rotating this totem is the main element to interact with the buildings. I want to keep this idea of circular movement in every aspect of the game. From the sky to the "language" used to lead the player, to the gameplay. I definitely need to talk about this in the next days.

Teach me your ways.
What is you process/work flow for building that bridge / dome thing?

If you're asking for making the bridge itself, it's a classic edit poly, UV, and then iterations work (before rigging and skinning). If you want an in-depth showcase, I can try to show this tomorrow as I will probably have less to show.

Andy Rhetoric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »

Loving that art style! Nice work, keep it coming!
Flex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »

'Ssup ! Day 4

Nothing really relevant done today I think. I have redone the interactive totems 'cause the last ones were ugly. These ones will feature a "validation button" with the main left-right rotation to avoid people doing random combinations too easily.
Plus the bridge can now open and close because I think it's important to be able to activate and desactivate at will as many things as possible

About the art workflow now.
As this started as a studies assignment, the scene had to be optimized as fuck, meaning the least amount of drawcall possible. This is what led me to this style. Flat colors are easy to make and tweak, and combines with low poly, you get less boring unwraps to make. Plus I wanted to try bringing to 3D what I use to do with Illustrator in 2D .

I got scared as hell by drawcalls since my work on S.W.A.G. where we didn't take 'em into account with the programmer. So basically, it's just a gigantic color atlas made of pixels. It's simple as hell, but all these trees, bushes and grass here are theoretically 1 drawcall (wich is not because some trees have scripts. But still). I have just discovered that this way I can also easily change the color values of the whole world in-game, as a manual color correction. I definitely have to try this out one day.

For the architecture and non-natural elements, it's a more classic workflow, but the meshes are made the simpliest and squariest way possible again not to spend to much time on UVs and to be able to reuse the same textures as much as possible.

There's basically nothing smart here, it's just that I focused on choosing the style that would fit the most my intentions in terms of tech and optimisation. I don't like when devs are not thinking enough about the big picture of what the game will look like, if they're not good enough for what they envision, it will be stupidely hard for them to acheive their goal.

Here's my advice, I want complicated things too, but I keep on trying to find the easiest way to acheive this goal.
- I want nice shadows ->  Lights are expensive ? -> I can make the shadows on the textures !
- I want to make a huge island with tons of trees -> Not enough time ? -> Let's try low-poly, plus the UVs will not be a pain
- I want everything to be moving, breathing -> Won't the computer break ? -> flat shading + low-poly = atlas frenzy + batching everywhere

And it's only then that it's possible to think of what setting/assets/world you can build out of this. And the cool thing is that if you start from the easiest things, then you'll reach faster the cool part about adding content.

There you go, I'll work tomorrow on the GUI. If i'm done I talk a bit about design ideas, otherwise I have some cool things to share about the day and night cycle.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:19:15 PM by Flex » Logged

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »

Thank you for sharing some info on your workflow! That is a very interesting trick with the color atlas.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 02:22:41 PM »

How great man! Really like the color palette, the cell-shading and this quirky universe so far. (very fast progression damn!)  Ninja

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic