Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:46:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNoct - "Now on Kickstarter!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Noct - "Now on Kickstarter!"  (Read 11396 times)
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2014, 11:18:22 PM »

Noct is a Top Down Multiplayer Monster Survival Shooter, with persistent world bosses, loot, and exploration. So basically Hotline Miami meets Dayz. The entire game is played out from a FLIR(Thermal) camera view. You're one of the last remaining human survivors being monitored from a control room in some faraway bunker via satellite. Players can meet up with other survivors in the multiplayer wasteland, adventure with them, or slay them dependent on your play style. The game is also completely singleplayer if you wish it to be, so players will not be forced into pvp situations unless they want to open that can.

Gameplay consists primarily of ruined city/town wasteland exploration, survival, and scavenger hunt style mechanics.  All entities within the game world require line of sight to be visible to the player, this produces incredible tense moments of close quarter engagements with monsters and other Survivors. Players will constantly be maintaining Water/Food & Health vitals, the game uses a minimalistic inventory system so that you can still trade items with other players without having to fuss over a complex inventory item screen. This provides more of an arcade feel to item collection and interaction within the game, which makes the game an easier "pick up and play" title.

Development on this game has been a solo affair for me for about the past 2 years. This is my first title, and am happy to see that it is finally in a state which can be publicly displayed, especially considering how ambitious a project it has been. Before building any of the gameplay/mechanics and world, I needed to construct a networking environment to house all of it. Since the singleplayer environment of this game is just a localized network instance, all testing needed to be done over a network setting. I used a similar design from Minecraft's infrastructure which allows any player to setup a localized server as their singleplayer environment, and if they wish the server can be publicly listed. I decided to build this using the Unity Engine, my programming background has been limited to LUA script, and lingo, so learning c# seemed like the right move. Prior to building the the Zombz(Now named Noct) prototype, I had built a prototype to test instancing, network streaming, and network based prediction code for player movements within network environments.

Current focus is now completely on getting the game in a state of early public alpha testing for OCT 31ST, 2014. I have decided to put the game up on Steam Greenlight in its current state, and has been received well thus far, with any luck this will lead to a successful Greenlight which will definitely make distribution easier. I plan to launch a small Kickstarter campaign to help get things rolling a little faster down the road.

Music in Noct is dark ambient stuff. Luckily I've been graced with contributors like Pedro Pimentel who has created the amazing music featured in the games recent trailer.

Thank you for taking the time to look through this, if you have any questions, or any feedback, feel free to comment.

Cheers!
-c3sk

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:47:32 PM by c3sk » Logged

-c3sk
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:53:27 PM »

To be honest I was skeptic when I saw the title of the post... a zombie game... again...
But when I saw the gif... wow... this looks amazing Smiley
Great ideat to play from the thermal camera

c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:04:09 AM »

To be honest I was skeptic when I saw the title of the post... a zombie game... again...
But when I saw the gif... wow... this looks amazing Smiley
Great ideat to play from the thermal camera

Thanks bombjack! Glad you like it! Yea... I could have called it something else probably, during the early testing one of my good buddies recommended the game name "Zombz" and it kinda stuck, no idea why. So, changing it now would probably be bad luck or something!

-c3sk
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:55:49 AM »

These graphics and animation are totally badass

jiitype
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:37:53 AM »

This is the most interesting zombie game I've seen in years.

And holy shit that monster in the first gif looks good
andreasng
Level 0

Lead Animator at Playdead - creators of Limbo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:39:11 AM »

the infrared chopper view camera is a great idea. well done Toast Right

AegarPyke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:29:44 AM »

Wow! That first GIF with the massive creature in thermal vision? Stunning. Like bombjack, I wasn't very interested by the name or prospect of "yet another zombie game," but this looks like it has a lot of promise. Very cool art direction.

The Geartower: Indie game design, development, and deconstruction
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:38:20 AM »

Lovely theme, I can imagine this getting very tense if anyone muds-up like Arnie in Predator...

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »

Lovely theme, I can imagine this getting very tense if anyone muds-up like Arnie in Predator...

"If it bleeds we can kill it!"

Shucks guys, thanks for all the kind comments and feedback Smiley

-c3sk
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »

As others said, looks great.

Should zombies show on thermal?

The name needs changing.
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »

As others said, looks great.

Should zombies show on thermal?

The name needs changing.

Thanks, depends on the Zombie really. There are different "classes" of the undead in this game, which vary in their ability to show up on thermal. I think you are right with a name change, and it should happen sooner than later, especially since the game features large monstrous evils which have greater nefarious intelligence compared to your average everyday shambling zombie.

I'll give it some thought Smiley

-c3sk
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »

Yeah, namewise it's OK for a codename, but definitely detracts from the quality of your gifs!

Iniquitous - grossly unfair and morally wrong. ?

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 02:30:17 PM »

Love the look of the thermal camera and that boss looks creepy cool! Just voted for you on greenlight! Definitely following.

(Oh and yeah, that name needs changing)

c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »

Yeah, namewise it's OK for a codename, but definitely detracts from the quality of your gifs!

Oh, I really like that! It kinda rolls off the tongue. Definitely a fancy Latin word for "Wicked and evil stuff"

Love the look of the thermal camera and that boss looks creepy cool! Just voted for you on greenlight! Definitely following.

(Oh and yeah, that name needs changing)

Thank you so much for the vote. Needs all the help it can get! Smiley

-c3sk
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »

Oh, I really like that! It kinda rolls off the tongue. Definitely a fancy Latin word for "Wicked and evil stuff"

Awesome! I have a bunch of words like that in my game, they appear on-screen if you ever score 666 points (which I noticed happens reasonably frequently) Smiley

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 01:05:38 AM »

Wow! the art style is cool, I saw this the other day in reddit :D
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 01:12:11 AM »

Ok. So, name change is happening. I ran "Iniquitous" past some of my buddies, and the general feed back was "Cool but maybe too long" Also "related to sin" which I don't think I can really work into this title.

So I brainstormed a few names.. I really like short names, the shorter the better. They are typically easier to remember and you can get away with printing it certain ways. I came up with these two logos, since the game is sorta high contrast art, and has horrific monsters in it roaming around. I figured the logo should always have a similar impact.

I've always wanted to do some game box art, and the Kickstarter might be my chance to do some... so I'm having pre-visions of a small black (or white) game box on someones table with this logo etched into the front of it

Thoughts? It's late so I could be rolling a donut on this one. Lemmie know! Feedback is always appreciated!

Awesome! I have a bunch of words like that in my game, they appear on-screen if you ever score 666 points (which I noticed happens reasonably frequently) Smiley

That's awesome! Do you have a link handy to your game? I need to see this!

-c3sk
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 04:24:48 AM »

Love the art direction for NOCT - white on black fits the original gifs rather well...

Here's the Molecule Match Devlog, and this is a sample of the 666 score

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 05:42:48 AM »

Your game reminded me something I played earlyer and I finally remembered the name : Zombie Gunship

It look very similar.

c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »

Love the art direction for NOCT - white on black fits the original gifs rather well...

Here's the Molecule Match Devlog, and this is a sample of the 666 score

Thanks! I think so too, Noct it is! (Anything at this point is better than Zombz, heh)
Nice match game, nice and clean. Congratulations on it's release!

Your game reminded me something I played earlyer and I finally remembered the name : Zombie Gunship

It look very similar.

Sadly I never played Zombie Gunship, but I do remember a friend playing it. If I recall it's a mobile rail shooter/defence game (he was playing it on an ipad at the time) where you shoot zombies attempting to reach a survivors hideout from a c-130 gunship. Fun stuff, reminded me of Modern Warfares thermal mission from back in the day. Smiley

-c3sk
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic